Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New button to enable FSD Beta download?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be argued that Tesla still owns your car:
I would love to "press the button", download the FSD, and immediately go offline to prevent potential Tesla shenanigans because someone pulled a stupid trick and it got legs. But that would also disable maps and FSD I suppose.

Sure would be nice to have a say in what is changed on MY car. If every update asked for permission I could live with that. But as we've seen that is not the case.

Plus a "revert to previous config" would be helpful and easy to do. But that's not going to happen either. This is definitely a one way street. It might be time to root to put up my own firewall if nothing else.

Are the same nags there when using FSD?

There was an interesting article posted about FSD Beta recently:

The gist is given roughly 1000 users (not specially trained) using the system today, the author expected there would be major accidents reported shortly. That did not happen. Basically by making it clear to the driver any responsibility for accidents still lies fully with them, drivers naturally are more careful, than if for example they were instead told the system would keep them safe.

As long as Tesla continues to make that clear, the probability of an accident should not really go up.

Still a fairly small pool of people, of whom most are apparently employees, and the rest were contacted by Tesla and had a conversation with them regarding the system before signing an agreement and being granted access. There is a very wide gulf between that and releasing it to a couple hundred thousand monkeys who will just mash buttons to get the download and then play "F around and find out"

Still a fairly small pool of people, of whom most are apparently employees, and the rest were contacted by Tesla and had a conversation with them regarding the system before signing an agreement and being granted access. There is a very wide gulf between that and releasing it to a couple hundred thousand monkeys who will just mash buttons to get the download and then play "F around and find out"
Agreed. But is it really that much different from how Tesla does things? We are talking the same company who released Smart Summon (still listed as Beta) to the world, where one can literally let their 2 ton plus vehicle travel in crowded parking spaces without ANYONE in the car at all.

Because ultimately, its the driver who is accountable for any accident at all that may occur. Places FULL responsibility on the driver. In every state.

And I like that. Place the accountability on ME. Let ME decide if (for example) I want to do 200mph in the new Plaid +. Dont limit it to 65mph with electronics..

Agreed. But is it really that much different from how Tesla does things? We are talking the same company who released Smart Summon (still listed as Beta) to the world, where one can literally let their 2 ton plus vehicle travel in crowded parking spaces without ANYONE in the car at all.

Because ultimately, its the driver who is accountable for any accident at all that may occur. Places FULL responsibility on the driver. In every state.

And I like that. Place the accountability on ME. Let ME decide if (for example) I want to do 200mph in the new Plaid +. Dont limit it to 65mph with electronics..
There's always the responsibility of a manufacturer for flaws in design, negligence, inadequate warning, etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude
For the first time since I bought the car, I had a pop up that wasn't released notes when I first got in the car.. It started with CONGRATULATIONS, and I thought we had the button. Talk about a range of emotions.
20210312_040031.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: turnem and goRt
Thank you for emailing [email protected]. We appreciate your participation and feedback; all feature related feedback will be forwarded to the appropriate engineering team. If any additional information is needed, we will reach out directly.
If you would like to opt-out of the Early Access Program, please reply to this email and we will process your request.
For all vehicle related concerns please schedule a service appointment through your Tesla mobile app.
We are currently reviewing all inquiries into the Full Self-Driving Early Access Beta Program

Do we know if the download button will mean we get future FSD Beta versions or do we just get the current version like a "FSD trial"? I would hope that it means we get software updates with future FSD Beta versions.

I think the option to be able to get out of the FSD Beta is underappreciated. Hopefully it's easy to get out.

Anyway, it looks like Elon lied overpromised, underdelivered (as in link above). I guess it depends on your definition of ~10 days, and whether 25-55 days ~= 10:

It sounds like it's easy to get out of the FSD Beta program: Those who are not paying attention to the road were eliminated from the program.
Haha. I assume it's like any of the other options, and it can be toggled on and off along with all the agreements that come with it.

Anyway, this vision-only version (I assume version 9 from context?) should be interesting.

Elon Musk: No accidents to date.

I guess that depends on whether you count wheel-curbing, which can be quite expensive.

• Funny
Reactions: Gigaron