Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD beta testers (June 2022) - First experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I'd follow up here again, now that it's been a few weeks! I've gotten a little more used to the most common mistakes it will make, and I'm enjoying the experience more and more. I almost always at least try using it on every drive, unless I know a particular drive segment is going to be really terrible based on past experience, or I'm too distracted to be testing.

I continue to be impressed by how well it works most of the time. I haven't had any strikes yet, or even come close to it. At least for me in my car: if you're vigilant with your eyes scanning the road, steering wheel nags are pretty minimal and easy to catch (I do tend to get steering wheel nags, because I habitually use zero force on the wheel and just sense the car through it, until I need to provide real input).

It has done a few dangerous things, but nothing I couldn't correct. I tend to let situations play out as long as I safely can just to see what it ends up doing. Sometimes things that look really fishy initially, it eventually will recover from without intervention and continue the drive, even though anyone observing from the outside would probably consider the driver to be crazy or impaired! After initially testing in the "Average" profile, I've since found that I like "Assertive" better. I've been the passenger-seat instructor/monitor while newbies throw their cars off the side of the track in high speed corners on road race courses before, so maybe that prior experience helps a lot in calmly handling FSD's behaviors :) My wife hates it and is terrified of it, but sometimes tolerates me using it while she's in the car.

The most pervasive and high priority issue to me, IMHO, continues to be the horrible lane choice planning in some situations. It's clearly not paying attention to the map data about turn lanes, etc at all! Second to that, is the inability to override the navigation's routing (I now usually have to turn off FSD until I fully exit my neighborhood, just because it persistently wants to route me towards a road that is currently under construction - if only I could cancel out that road, or drag the path on the map at the start of the drive?).

All in all, still going great. Looking forward to 10.13 and eventually single-stack!
Similar to my experiences. Drove from east side of metroplex to Plano and back today. On trip up, zero interventions all the way to my destination. Combination of FSD beta and NOA. On the way back, a couple disconnects due to the car wanting to move into the right lane while waiting at a light to turn left. Not a safety thing, but had no desire to reroute after missing my turn. Beyond that, no interventions on the way home.

This is the main issue right now with FSDb. It is almost as if the car wants to pick the wrong lane in certain situations. Sometimes I wonder if someone at Tesla accidentally put in a -1 instead of +1 is some field somewhere!
+1 here. On the way back home, after exiting the highway, I have to travel several hundreds feet on the service road then go under bridge u-way and up the bridge to the other side. The u-way is only 20 mph, typically FSDb will wait until it turns and slam on the brake from 50 to 20. One time, there is car on the turn lane and it’s only few cars away from the turn, FSDb thinks it needs to speed up to pass the car and turn. I have to brake to avoid crashing at the junction. It will be interesting to see in next releases FSDb only use vision to make decisions and there is no speed signs around, right now it seems to resume whatever the previous speed after the turn ..

While I would rather call it FSD alpha rather than better here are some things the need fixing
1 - Don't know where you live but where there is a school zone car does NOT recognize speed limit because it is not strictly rectangular
it has the attachment school zone above it
2 - I don't know how many times I've almost run someone passing the back of my car as a I back out nor does the car alert me when cars are passing behind
me in the same parking lot. I would have to back in every time I park to not have this happen.

You’d think that should work. It works AP. When I do that in FSDb the car just continues on, not using regen or slowing down. It does respond to lower speed limit signs but not quickly and it should start adjusting as soon as it sees the sign, not when it passes it.
Exactly the same as my experience on every version of FSD beta thus far. Scroll wheel works in AP to slow the car, but is ignored in FSD even though the slower speed is indicated in the display.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
I missed the cutoff to get into the Beta for June so I’ve been driving gentle and now have a 97 score.

When should I expect an invite for the next round since it should be due anyday now I hope?

2020 MYP
You'll likely need to be patient. Although 10.13 is (hopefully) due to be released any day now, it will almost certainly go to a very limited set of users. Major bugs from them will be fixed in a 10.13.1 release, which will go to a larger test group. Then, the fixes to their bugs will go out to everyone in 10.13.3.

Probably about two weeks after we see the first installation on teslafi to go to wide distribution.

At least, that's how that last couple of releases has gone.

Whether new testers will be added is anyone's guess.

Point for us where on the Tesla site, the spec page, or in your ordering documentation where Autosteer on City Streets is shown as being released by the end of this year.

Twitter comments which are not company policy, or legally binding for a contract is not appropriate.
Then he should just shut up and say exactly when and what everyone is going to get and approximately when. It can't even Autosteer correctly on highways much less city street (or whatever he defines as a "City").

Reactions: GalacticHero
While I would rather call it FSD alpha rather than better here are some things the need fixing
1 - Don't know where you live but where there is a school zone car does NOT recognize speed limit because it is not strictly rectangular
it has the attachment school zone above it
2 - I don't know how many times I've almost run someone passing the back of my car as a I back out nor does the car alert me when cars are passing behind
me in the same parking lot. I would have to back in every time I park to not have this happen.
What does FSD have to do with backing out of a parking spot? And no it’s well known FSD doesn’t know time of day etc in school zones no matter how many times you try.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Exactly the same as my experience on every version of FSD beta thus far. Scroll wheel works in AP to slow the car, but is ignored in FSD even though the slower speed is indicated in the display.
FSDb scroll wheel controls the speed for me. When turning into my neighborhood I scroll down from 45 to 25 to avoid speeding up and slamming on the brakes at the entrance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
FSDb scroll wheel controls the speed for me. When turning into my neighborhood I scroll down from 45 to 25 to avoid speeding up and slamming on the brakes at the entrance.

Yeah I use it a lot like that as well. The main road of my neighborhood is 35, then when I turn into my sub-section it's an "assumed 25" (no signs) that Tesla flips to, but the social/safety norm is to drive more like 15-20-ish even if the road looks clear. I have to scroll it down every time, and that works, because the car happens to slow to ~20 just to make the corner, and I scroll down before it's had time to speed back up anyways.

However, I see the point some are complaining about here. For example, let's say I'm cruising down an empty road with a 45mph sign, and I have the limiter set to 60 (which is normal flow around here, mostly!). For whatever reason (say, coming up on a less-empty part of the road, with a parking lot on the side which may contain radar-gun-wielding persons!) I spin the wheel down to 48 to slow it down. The car will eventually drift down towards my 48mph mark, but it may take a while! It doesn't really make an active attempt to engage regen or the brakes and get there quicker. It's closer to a neutral coast down to the new mark, which is not often what I'm looking for when I spin that wheel down.

Similar behavior happens on encountering speed reduction road signs on rural highways. It's common in TX for a 70mph highway to pass through the center of small towns, and there will be signs as you head into town that first limit down to 55, then 45, then 35 in stages as you approach the business district of the town full of stoplights and/or pedestrians. The spacing of these reductions is sometimes fairly tight, and there's often a cop hanging out near the edge of town waiting for anyone who blithely ignores these. Tesla's behavior (even on NoA+AP, this isn't just an FSDb thing) is that it ignores the sign until it actually reaches the sign (whereas humans would pre-slow when it's in view), and then it still takes a very gradual coasting sort of approach to the slowdown. Sometimes it hasn't even come down to the previous sign's speed by the time you hit the next one, and you're now going 50 in a 35 or whatever. The police interpretation of these signs varies by jurisdiction, but as a driver who doesn't want to be ticketed, in these scenarios, I tend to want to be at or under a sign's limit by the time I'm no more than a few car lengths past it. This requires some pre-slowing when the sign is in visual range ahead, sometimes somewhat aggressively.

I suppose for the limit sign case, this could be minimally fixed with a single setting about how to handle points on the road where a speed limit reduction happens. Like, a slider for whether you want to reach the target speed X amount before or after the sign, with "achieve target speed exactly as you cross the sign" in the middle. That would be a start, anyways. Real humans are more dynamic and treat every road/situation/jurisdiction differently. A better solution would be a combination of: (1) The ability to influence this behavior in realtime without disengaging (side-tracking a bit: maybe a mode where we can modulate the braking/regen (tricky, but light brake pedal as regen input?) like we do the accelerator today without disengaging, so a true disengage requires stalk input or a hard emergency stomp on the pedal? Similarly it would be great if we could influence the steering wheel slightly up to N degrees without disengage to "teach" the car) + (2) the car remembering your speed-change influences as the default when you re-travel the same route. Even better: on routes you've never traveled, using the average behavior of previous Teslas as the default.

Reactions: Gwgan
FSD scroll wheel controls the speed for me. When turning into my neighborhood I scroll down from 45 to 25 to avoid speeding up and slamming on the brakes at the entrance.
yea, agree. That is what I mean. I use it to control the speed yet for me and a couple others that mention, it only works in AP and not FSD. A couple people say it does work in FSD, but I have yet to get it to actually decrease speed in fsd even though the display indicates it acknowledges my change.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
Scroll wheel doesn't work on legacy cars. 🤷

But we have the same dog-slow adjustment in speed when lowered. Seems much slower than "coast" to me. Another bug hopefully they will fix some day.
Hmmmm, one of my cars is an early 2017 MX and the scroll wheel works in AP for slowing the car. I thought it is considered to be a legacy car, but maybe I forget what the term means.

Maybe because you set the "default" control to be that way?
Model 3/Y is different than S/X. So you have to specify which car you're talking about and which rev (refresh or not).

Model 3/Y has no options for adjusting controls. Left scroll = media controls (volume up/down, skip fwd/back, mute). Right scroll = TACC/AP control (follow distance and speed limit). Also clicking right scroll makes car listen for voice commands.

Model 3/Y is different than S/X. So you have to specify which car you're talking about and which rev (refresh or not).

Model 3/Y has no options for adjusting controls. Left scroll = media controls (volume up/down, skip fwd/back, mute). Right scroll = TACC/AP control (follow distance and speed limit). Also clicking right scroll makes car listen for voice commands.
yup, aware of that :)