Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Grey for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new grey is nice and I'd probably have still picked grey, but I like my old grey better.

I'm like them both equally. I'm just glad that they didn't have both colours available when I ordered since that would be one hard choice to make. I'm not sure which one I would have chosen but I am happy with my dolphin grey and I like the fact that no more are being made.

Is this the first time Tesla has changed an S paint color since the car launched in 2012?

I wonder why they changed the grey. Maybe the old gray wasn't popular enough? But I'm sure I see more grey cars than the really uncommon colors like brown and green.

My wife and I came very close to ordering grey last year, but she preferred silver.

@iKhalit those seats in the steel grey aren't the same as the current performance seats, compare to what you see in the design studio. It looks to be an alcantra head rest, so perhaps this is an improvement on the existing performance seats, hopefully with more bolstering, etc.

I have had the dolphin grey for over a year. I still like it over all the other options I had, but I have to admit that as it rolled off the delivery truck, I actually said "oh...crap" when I saw how much blue there was in it. I wasn't expecting that at all. It should be called blue-grey to be accurate. The small tiles in the Scottsdale showroom did not show that, and unfortunately, being in Arizona I never got to see a grey Model S in person before I ordered or took delivery (no sales allowed there).

The distance shots of the new steel grey look like a true grey-what I was expecting when I placed my order in 2012. Ironically, that close up shot of the showroom swatches of old and new seems like there is more blue and green in the new one under close inspection in direct light. The effect from a distance is a darker, uniform grey though.

They may have updated the pigment mix in the grey offering to get closer to the popular gunmetal and steel hues and take out that blueness. I think it will sell well and will look dope. It's a power color for a big powerful car. It may show more scratches, but in the mean time, it will look classy.

Now if they offer a medium blue (LAURENT!!!) I'll start pondering again.
I like the new gray but I'll keep the blue :tongue:

BlueTesla2.jpg

Last edited: