Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Grey for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no doubt the new grey will look GREAT on the car. I'm sure I would have given it very strong consideration were it available alongside the old grey (that I eventually chose). However, a couple thoughts that-- perhaps-- might also resonate with my fellow classic grey owners:

-The old grey is much farther off black and will continue to hide dirt well (I've had my car 2 months... only washed it once... looks great!)

-New grey will show scratches and swirls marks more easily (as all darker colors do)

-The new grey basically looks like the old grey... at night.

-The old grey changes color with light from blue to green to grey. Admittedly, it'll sometimes look less "glamorous" than the new grey in some conditions, but it'll look better in many. The CNet pics from this week capture it's blueness well: Tesla Model S, in Performance Plus trim, drives like a rocket on electric rails - CNET

-The new grey does NOT seem to match the color tone of the grey wheels very well at all. Not the same palette...the wheels are browner?

-If you're using/buying the grey TSportline TST 19" (Turbine clones), they are a shade lighter than the 21" grey Tesla Turbines. On an old grey car they are still darker than the paint, but a new grey car I think you'll end up with wheels lighter than the paint. Maybe a less desirable look? Though, admittedly, on a black MS the grey wheels (also lighter) look spectacular. I think the color tone of the TSTs are better suited to the new grey than the Tesla grey wheels.

Anyway. Just my thoughts. Another manifesto length post guaranteed to kill the thread. <sigh>

Oh- I almost forgot. Final reason:
Normally I'd have chosen blue when ordering but I was scared off the blue because it was so dark and I knew it would show marks and age prematurely as it got battered around town. Silver would have been choice number 2 but for the chrome strip under the doors that makes them look misfit on silver cars (and I already have a silver car). So I chose grey. While the NEW grey might have replaced blue in that series of choices/selections-- it would have been ruled out for the same reasons the blue was DESPITE how great both those colors look, and I'm man enough to acknowledge they LOOK better... when new.

Dismal new gray

The gray in the Design Studio has been updated to be a much darker shade of gray :mad:

Now we have 5 nearly-identical "dark value" color choices (black, gray, green, blue, brown), two whites that look identical from afar, "arrest me" red, and only one medium-value color (silver).

Old gray: http://static01.www.teslamotors.com...270/STUD_3QTR__RHD/ms_stud_3qtr_pmtg__RHD.png
New gray: http://static01.www.teslamotors.com...270/STUD_3QTR__RHD/ms_stud_3qtr_pmng__RHD.png

How is this an improvement?

-- Ed (wishing he had ordered the old gray when it was still available)

The lack of color choices is just weird. The Model S would look *amazing* in yellow, or royal purple, or brighter shades of green and blue. I can understand not wanting to allow arbitrary colors as a matter of branding (although, that said, it's my $100k), but I don't understand not offering a wider spectrum of good-looking colors.

Maybe someone who knows what's involved can chime in here: is this harder than it sounds, to have lots of options for factory paint?

The lack of color choices is just weird. The Model S would look *amazing* in yellow, or royal purple, or brighter shades of green and blue. I can understand not wanting to allow arbitrary colors as a matter of branding (although, that said, it's my $100k), but I don't understand not offering a wider spectrum of good-looking colors.

Maybe someone who knows what's involved can chime in here: is this harder than it sounds, to have lots of options for factory paint?

I'd be happy with the recently announced color palette for the 2015 Chevrolet SS.

2015 Chevy SS manual, magnetic shocks confirmed by order guide - Autoblog

I would very much like one in Alchemy Purple, though I think it's criminal that there still isn't an electric blue like Laurent's custom color.

Here are pics of the new steel gray on a real car:

Dolphin Gray (old) on left, Steel Gray on right, front closeup:
1.jpg

Steel gray (left) and dolphin gray (right) from above, front:
2.jpg

Steel gray (left) and dolphin gray (right) from the side:
3.jpg

Real paint closeup of steel gray (left) and dolphin gray (right):
4.jpg

Dolphin gray (left) and steel gray (right):
5.jpg

Todd, thanks for the pictures! Feel a bit better right now with the steel grey. My store here in Germany has just received a small sample only. No car with steel grey in the near future to compare. But your pictures help me in deciding.

Todd, do you work for Tesla? :)

The pictures are amazing! I still like my Grey better :p.

I got these from an owner advisor at the D.C. store this morning.

Thought I'd ask since I need to bake in my color choice on my do-over Tesla in less than two weeks. Personally, I'd be happy with either gray. I think I might like the new gray a little more, but that might just be because it's "different". Might need to see in person to make the decision for sure. Personally, I'm taking the plunge and going with black on my new S.