Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Grey for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, they are definitely up to something, even if it's as simple as just a color change to offer something new to buyers. It's possible that now they may revise several or all of the current colors offered. One thought is maybe this grey looks better on the Model X than the old grey so they have started making paint color transitions in preparation for Model X production and the colors for the S will be affected as a by product.

I think Mopar is on to something here. I'm not sure that the light grey would be best suited for the Model X. I myself am excited to see the new grey as I have always been a grey car person but really flipped flopped between liking the dolphin grey and not.

*shrug*, I really love my grey. I got it specifically because it wasn't the almost black color that the blue and green end up being in all but bright light.

Not sure what color I'd get now. They're all pretty, but none of them spoke to me like the dolphin grey.

I wonder if Tesla would let me switch to this grey from black. I did just get my VIN yesterday. Anyone had any experience with changing the color?

I was pretty sure I was happy with my choice of blue, but was second guessing myself as I looked at some particular wonderful pictures of a brown Tesla, so I asked about the possibility of changing colors about a week before I ended up getting my VIN and was told no. But, it can't hurt to try!

Maybe the dolphin grey doesn't look good on the X? Why else would they get rid of such a popular color?
I'm not sure we can assume the S and X will share colors.

I know I drooled over Cadillac's CTS-V Black Diamond Tricoat, which despite the name, looks dark grey. It has so much metal flake it sparkles incredibly. Very cool. If we were going to change the grey, I wish we'd have gotten something like that (maybe we did)?

Ok, since the dolphin gray seems to be such a popular color, I'll chime in with my guess. "We're only going to produce x number of cars in any given color in order to preserve the exclusivity of it. When that number is done, we'll retire the color."
Seems like a good way to ensure you never have any good colors. :biggrin: The ones people like get retired, and the ones they don't last forever.

Do we know they grey was the most popular? I see grey less often than all the colors except silver and brown around here.

Here is a pic of the new gray on top of the old gray.
new gray.jpg

Just when I thought my decision was made!

I went with black partly for cost reasons (when people ask me what color I got I say "The free one." :)), but also because I thought the dolphin grey was way too light. All my previous cars have been black and I was thinking about mixing it up with a nice dark, pewter grey. Now I guess that's on option, but I don't know if I could make that decision without seeing one in person. Black I wouldn't have to see, but I would definitely want to see it since the last grey definitely didn't look like the design gallery in person. No VIN yet (5 weeks from confirmation :( ) so I suppose I would have time to make the change.

Thanks to those who posted the store samples! I'm traveling to San Antonio this week, but won't have time to drive up to Austin to see them in person.

Ok, since the dolphin gray seems to be such a popular color, I'll chime in with my guess. "We're only going to produce x number of cars in any given color in order to preserve the exclusivity of it. When that number is done, we'll retire the color."

That doesn't make sense since white, black and red seem to be more popular than the grey. But it may be that they will keep those core colours (since they are in the most demand) but change the others. Since they can't add colours due to the production line restrictions (as some have said here), by changing colours they get a variety of colours out there without putting more costs into production. Just a guess. I really like the new grey and look forward to seeing it in person on the streets.

Unless it's a camera trick, looks like a very slightly green dark grey with blue, green, and silver metallic flecks?

That'll look nice, I bet.

I think I agree with you on the color analysis. I took the samples outside into direct sunlight so as to try to get the best color for you guys. However, I did have to use my camera phone (Galaxy S4) and then reduce the 5mb picture to something smaller that I could upload to TMC.