Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing that now that refreshed cars post announcement have been delivered we can put this one to bed: they may have the wiring but they don't have the 3 cameras setup. This is setting me up for another disappointment on being caught 2 times if they announce something new in the next few months. Oh well...

I am going to boldly say no AP 2.0 any time soon. First, they are still working off a backlog of Model X orders and the last thing they need right now is a news cycle about how the brand new, long awaited SUV already has obsolete HW. Second, they are still working on AP 1.0 SW features and bugs. Once Tesla gets their hands on next-gen MobilEye HW, they still need to write the SW for it. AP 1.0 is still better than anything else out there, so I am going to venture the priority is going to get the Model 3 SW nailed and flawless before they start devoting cycles to AP 2.0 (although I can see Model 3s coming with AP 2.0 HW so they are future-proofed).

Reactions: GFM_P90D
I am going to boldly say no AP 2.0 any time soon. First, they are still working off a backlog of Model X orders and the last thing they need right now is a news cycle about how the brand new, long awaited SUV already has obsolete HW. Second, they are still working on AP 1.0 SW features and bugs. Once Tesla gets their hands on next-gen MobilEye HW, they still need to write the SW for it. AP 1.0 is still better than anything else out there, so I am going to venture the priority is going to get the Model 3 SW nailed and flawless before they start devoting cycles to AP 2.0 (although I can see Model 3s coming with AP 2.0 HW so they are future-proofed).

AP 2.0 has been in development at Tesla for over a year now. The current system on the S and X are already "legacy" systems internally

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Porfiry

AP1 keeps on crashing into things either due to software, hardware, or user error

I am hoping Tesla does not fall into the trap of rushing to get bright and shiny out the door and losing sight of quality (I know some of you will argue they are past that point already). Although, the fact they have been working on it for year really does not give any indication of when it will actually be ready.

Whether AP 1.0 is legacy or not, I don't believe it works they way they intended as some features are still noted as beta. This is not like the media player, AP is pretty central to the company's identity, they cannot just leave 50K+ owners with unfinished SW and then move on to AP 2.0, without some backlash.

The same goes for the base Model 3 software. They need to make sure all they everyday stuff works before working on the fancy stuff. I love my Model X and I would love to see new AP features released, but what I would really love is for the front doors to work in some sort of consistent and predictable way. I might us AP a few times a week, but I play front door roulette a cope of times a day.

I am hoping Tesla does not fall into the trap of rushing to get bright and shiny out the door and losing sight of quality (I know some of you will argue they are past that point already). Although, the fact they have been working on it for year really does not give any indication of when it will actually be ready.

Whether AP 1.0 is legacy or not, I don't believe it works they way they intended as some features are still noted as beta. This is not like the media player, AP is pretty central to the company's identity, they cannot just leave 50K+ owners with unfinished SW and then move on to AP 2.0, without some backlash.

The same goes for the base Model 3 software. They need to make sure all they everyday stuff works before working on the fancy stuff. I love my Model X and I would love to see new AP features released, but what I would really love is for the front doors to work in some sort of consistent and predictable way. I might us AP a few times a week, but I play front door roulette a cope of times a day.
There is a lemon law suit already in Cali because of model X doors

• Informative
Reactions: newtman
I am hoping Tesla does not fall into the trap of rushing to get bright and shiny out the door and losing sight of quality (I know some of you will argue they are past that point already).
Well past. Model S hardware: first gen door handles, original air compressor mounting, original charge port, 12v battery. Model S software: the media player, which started buggy and got worse; the nav system; oh, and it still intermittently crashes and needs rebooting; and then there's the vampire load. Model S software visual "refresh" -- bad human factors design with brightness issues which was promptly panned here. The UMC design, with underspecified wiring (I'm on my fourth). Model X: long list of early-off-the-production-line problems which I haven't even bothered to look up because I don't own one.

Tesla's lucky that there is no real competition and won't be for years. (I keep looking for competitors, but they all have obvious fatal flaws like "too short a range" or "no fast charging").

The same goes for the base Model 3 software. They need to make sure all they everyday stuff works before working on the fancy stuff.

Yes. The "bare-bones" nature of the model S was panned by many reviewers, but it didn't hurt sales one bit. Get the everyday stuff perfect, leave it at that.

the last thing they need right now is a news cycle about how the brand new, long awaited SUV already has obsolete HW.

This is why I think Tesla leaked the AP 2.0 drawings to prepare people and I doubt they will wait very long to get it on vehicles. Activating the software for it is another thing, and that can wait another year even. It's only then that there will be a difference between AP 1.0 and 2.0. But the longer they put inferior hardware on cars, the more we will see stuff like this by competitors, and the further Tesla will fall behind in the hardware department of a crucial area that they want to lead in...

mb2.png

This is why I think Tesla leaked the AP 2.0 drawings to prepare people and I doubt they will wait very long to get it on vehicles. Activating the software for it is another thing, and that can wait another year even. It's only then that there will be a difference between AP 1.0 and 2.0. But the longer they put inferior hardware on cars, the more we will see stuff like this by competitors, and the further Tesla will fall behind in the hardware department of a crucial area that they want to lead in...

View attachment 178284

I used to agree with you on the imminent release of AP 2.0 hardware - until Mobileye seemed to publicly push back the timeframe for an 8 camera system's debut to 2017. This info comes from the publicly available video of their CES 2016 presentation in January.

Also - as to the inferior hardware of Model S vs 2014 S Class Mercedes - yup, it's inferior hardware. But everyone who has driven both (I have not) - including a comprehensive comparison by a car magazine over a 20 mile real-world route in Michigan - says the Tesla system produces errors at a rate less than half that of Mercedes. And that comparison was months ago on 7.0 - we are many builds later at this point.

Anybody can throw hardware up - I can duct tape cameras and radar guns to my truck. It's the software that is the real work - Tesla has proved that.

My theory is that Tesla's decision to go with Mobileye for the object detection vs Mercedes using NXP may have made the difference. Mobileye also claims that the EyeQ3 is the first system deployed to customer cars with built-in neural networks capable of learning in real time.

The 2017 Mercedes E-Class - well the jury is out. We'll see how it does on lane keeping vs Tesla.

Reactions: newtman

View attachment 178284

I read the article and saw the pics. If they are testing the mounting and such then it's still quite some time out at least a year. If the mounting has been decided and the are doing real world tweaks and comparisons with the existing AP then we could see the new hardware soon.

I read the article and saw the pics. If they are testing the mounting and such then it's still quite some time out at least a year. If the mounting has been decided and the are doing real world tweaks and comparisons with the existing AP then we could see the new hardware soon.

My guess is they are testing low (open) vs high (behind a body panel) radar position. They are testing in the real world, I'd say 3-6 months for hardware to show up in production.

Fingers crossed!