Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Motors Inc Might Release Its Autonomous Car Before Model 3

Direct from article:

But on Tuesday when asked if the Model 3 will be Tesla’s first autonomous vehicle, Sterling Anderson, who leads the development of the company’s self-driving Autopilot technology, said the new vehicle will not represent any kind of a step change and suggested that before the Model 3 debuts, the company might create significantly more autonomous cars.

Anderson told the editor-in-chief of the MIT Technology Review, Jason Pontin, at the EmTech Digital conference in San Francisco, “We will not hold any technology for Model 3 that we have not released already when it’s ready on other models.”

Tesla Motors Inc Might Release Its Autonomous Car Before Model 3

Direct from article:

But on Tuesday when asked if the Model 3 will be Tesla’s first autonomous vehicle, Sterling Anderson, who leads the development of the company’s self-driving Autopilot technology, said the new vehicle will not represent any kind of a step change and suggested that before the Model 3 debuts, the company might create significantly more autonomous cars.

Anderson told the editor-in-chief of the MIT Technology Review, Jason Pontin, at the EmTech Digital conference in San Francisco, “We will not hold any technology for Model 3 that we have not released already when it’s ready on other models.”

Apparently "DoubleE" is not a reference to electrical engineer.

• Funny
Reactions: DoubleE
I used to agree with you on the imminent release of AP 2.0 hardware

Ha! I've been predicting its imminent release since late 2015. It's strange that you no longer think I'm right! ;)

I read the article and saw the pics. If they are testing the mounting and such then it's still quite some time out at least a year. If the mounting has been decided and the are doing real world tweaks and comparisons with the existing AP then we could see the new hardware soon.

My comments didn't refer to the article but to "the drawings" which are these ones, that may have been deliberately leaked by Tesla:

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/3597/268/original.jpg

Reactions: calisnow
Make sense that they'd roll this out when ready and not waiting for model 3. So now it's official, our shiny new model S refresh are obsolete in the next few months, and given the ramp in production numbers, very soon (if not right now already) will join the classic in being treated like a legacy product, meaning no interest at all into pouring dev time to improve anything.

• Disagree
Reactions: newtman
Make sense that they'd roll this out when ready and not waiting for model 3. So now it's official, our shiny new model S refresh are obsolete in the next few months, and given the ramp in production numbers, very soon (if not right now already) will join the classic in being treated like a legacy product, meaning no interest at all into pouring dev time to improve anything.
Thats extreme, in other automakers you wouldn't get any updates at all other than having the ability to purchase nav maps for a couple hundred. I have a model S on order which will go into production in June. I don't expect to get new AP hardware, although if it did have the wiring ready that would be nice. Be happy with what you order and drive it to the ground. If you can't do that you are a prime candidate for a lease.

Reactions: newtman
Appreciate the thinking. For one, let's agree it's first world problem. Then, I remain a supporter (and shareholder) of the company. At the same time I bought a model S in March 2014, so I know the feeling of getting an obsolete car after few months and I didn't like it. We can rationalize all we want around that, a feeling is always real. Add to that an unresponsive DS with no news or answers for 2 weeks, a car that's not in production while everyone else seems to be (including VIN that are more than 2k above mine), and a future disappointment coming its way, considering AP was the only reason I upgraded. I really doubt any AP upgrade will be feasible, I'd pay for it but it's unlikely. As for a lease, @ 50.000 miles and counting after 2 years it's not really an option. Leaving the S and jumping on a model 3 may be it.

So now it's official, our shiny new model S refresh are obsolete in the next few months...

With the current advancements taking place in technology at such a rapid rate, and Tesla's model of making changes at any time, this is just the reality of owning the car. While "obsolete" is technically the right word, it's a little strong if you ask me.

I still love my 2014 classic "S 85". It's in the shop now because the charging ring stays red, so I have an autopilot loaner. I was surprised to see it turned off in the rain on my way to work this morning. It was raining pretty heavy but again that's par for the course around here. While autopilot is great, and I really want it, when I drove around last night and showed it to my kids, one of them said "I bet you won't use it much dad - you like driving too much" which is probably true. The frunk on the new cars are also tiny compared to mine and with a family of 5 and cabin we go to most weekends, the car is often loaded to the brim. Just recently I loaded the frunk with sod for my cabin. If I had a new one I would have had to take my Tahoe Hybrid to get it all there - and I find it really hard to bring myself to drive that old beast! Plus, the 80 amp charging is a must for my cabin, and is no longer available.

So long story short, be happy with what you have and don't envy the changes. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Plus, we're all going to upgrade eventually (or most of us depending on our age) so I look at all the changes as something to look forward to, although I really wish I could configure a new car with new things as well as things that are now gone for good.

We can rationalize all we want around that, a feeling is always real.

Done above. There's nothing wrong with rationalizing things in my opinion. I do it in many aspects of my life.

Appreciate the thinking. For one, let's agree it's first world problem. Then, I remain a supporter (and shareholder) of the company. At the same time I bought a model S in March 2014, so I know the feeling of getting an obsolete car after few months and I didn't like it. We can rationalize all we want around that, a feeling is always real. Add to that an unresponsive DS with no news or answers for 2 weeks, a car that's not in production while everyone else seems to be (including VIN that are more than 2k above mine), and a future disappointment coming its way, considering AP was the only reason I upgraded. I really doubt any AP upgrade will be feasible, I'd pay for it but it's unlikely. As for a lease, @ 50.000 miles and counting after 2 years it's not really an option. Leaving the S and jumping on a model 3 may be it.

I think Tesla is going to have to stop adding hardware features randomly. They should stick to these changes on a yearly basis, hear me out everyone. It causes frustration of owners who could have just waited longer if they had a clearer schedule. I am surprised insurance companies aren't complaining. How exactly are they supposed to calculate the cost difference between an old style 2016 and a new one if you can only select 2016 model year. The same when we try to sell our vehicles, just knowing the year doesn't mean anything because it might or might not have certain hardware. You can't even use the VIN since they are not produced chronologically. This will become a nightmare when they start producing 100's of thousands of vehicles each year. Do as many software changes as you desire but stick to 1 hardware change date per year.

• Disagree
Reactions: MsElectric
I think Tesla is going to have to stop adding hardware features randomly. They should stick to these changes on a yearly basis, hear me out everyone. It causes frustration of owners who could have just waited longer if they had a clearer schedule. I am surprised insurance companies aren't complaining. How exactly are they supposed to calculate the cost difference between an old style 2016 and a new one if you can only select 2016 model year. The same when we try to sell our vehicles, just knowing the year doesn't mean anything because it might or might not have certain hardware. You can't even use the VIN since they are not produced chronologically. This will become a nightmare when they start producing 100's of thousands of vehicles each year. Do as many software changes as you desire but stick to 1 hardware change date per year.

So what happens if they set the target date for new hardware for July 1st, and they don't get the development and testing done until August 1st? Does that mean that they way 11 months to add that new hardware to the cars? What if people have been waiting and there is nothing to release, they just waited however long for no reason at all.

Nope I think Tesla has it right, release updates as they are ready, don't hold anything back. People just have to understand Tesla isn't like other car manufacturers, they are more like a PC, phone, or TV company. A new/better version could come out at any second. Don't buy one until you are happy with the features it currently has.

Are you saying that the 72 amp charging that is available in the refreshed Model S would be too slow for your use case? (I know 10% slower, but I suspect it is plenty fast for most people.)

I'm sure it would be fine, but I often go to my cabin just for the day, to cut the lawn and do a few things around the house, and I need all the amps as fast I can get them to get me back the Hope Supercharger. Or we go, unpack, do a few things, then go visits friends at homes around the lake, and the extra amps really help when arriving with a depleted battery. But my point was more that it's a step backwards by Tesla to eliminate 80 amp charging in favour of 72 amps -- and that will bother me when I upgrade, along with the smaller frunk.

Tesla is and will remain different from the rest of the car manufacturers for quite some time but to zambono's point after they reach a certain scale this randomness will have to decrease, be it for manufacturing efficiency and for mainstream consumers that may not be as forgiving. They will still have software upgrade in between major hardware changes. For now it's all about outpacing everyone else.

To go back to the core content of this thread could anyone check if the noise unit and/or new wiring is spotted anywhere?

There is zero upside to fast track the deployment of AP 2.0. While other cars might have more hardware, Tesla's SW and and learning network deliver a better driving experience with the current HW (Semi-Autonomous Cars Compared! Tesla Model S vs. BMW 750i, Infiniti Q50S, and Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG - Feature). On the other hand, rolling out new hardware in the near term will generate an inordinate amount of ill-will with folks that have just purchased a Model X or refreshed Model S, not to mention creating manufacturing churn for the Model X when they are still trying to stabilize the current design.

So what happens if they set the target date for new hardware for July 1st, and they don't get the development and testing done until August 1st? Does that mean that they way 11 months to add that new hardware to the cars? What if people have been waiting and there is nothing to release, they just waited however long for no reason at all.

Nope I think Tesla has it right, release updates as they are ready, don't hold anything back. People just have to understand Tesla isn't like other car manufacturers, they are more like a PC, phone, or TV company. A new/better version could come out at any second. Don't buy one until you are happy with the features it currently has.
If you were in another brand you would either purchase that new car with the features it came with, wait another year, or purchase another car. You would not know what is coming in the future, or what was supposed to be in a certain release but didn't make it so you would not miss it.

Reactions: ChrisJ
There is zero upside to fast track the deployment of AP 2.0. While other cars might have more hardware, Tesla's SW and and learning network deliver a better driving experience with the current HW (Semi-Autonomous Cars Compared! Tesla Model S vs. BMW 750i, Infiniti Q50S, and Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG - Feature). On the other hand, rolling out new hardware in the near term will generate an inordinate amount of ill-will with folks that have just purchased a Model X or refreshed Model S, not to mention creating manufacturing churn for the Model X when they are still trying to stabilize the current design.

Tesla has demonstrated that they care more about exciting tomorrow's customer then looking out for yesterday's feelings. Frankly if you're trying to grow exponentially I think that's the only way to go. Recently the head of autonomous driving said "we'll never hold any hardware back." He was talking about the model 3 vs S/X but I think that outlook applies here too.

Reactions: newtman and brkaus
Perhaps Tesla wants yesterday's customer to sell their car and become tomorrow's customer? I think there are a bunch of current owners waiting for AP 2.0 before they upgrade to a new Model S.

As a former Model S owner, I have a new one on order for 11/16 delivery that I will accelerate if AP 2.0 comes out sooner. I will push the order if needed.

Reactions: benemac