Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't fall for their tricks. I also wanted to get free supercharging but it's economically meaningless. Especially when there are long lines at Superchargers and the rates are throttled anyway.

Do not buy a Tesla for free supercharging it's just a gimmick to move cars in Q2.

In my 6000 miles of road trips in my 90D, this year, I have never seen long lines at Superchargers. Even in Barstow, which is an active spot, a car pulls out as I approach and the next Mx waits only 2 or 3 minutes. Same thing happened for me in Moutain View a couple weeks ago. A car pulls out as I approach. On non road trips the only time I had to wait is in San Mateo. Yes there is often a line certain time of day, but it isn't a bad experience if you love your car and enjoy driving a Tesla. Octane, you are so negative. I can't even believe you drive a Tesla and if you do it seems you don't enjoy it. Supercharging system is great and it can take you long distances for a very enjoyable trip. And there are a lot more Superchargers coming on line this year. This is a great new perk for all the new drivers of MS and MX. Enjoy.

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak
This news does not make me very happy. This just means that we cannot ever trust Tesla at their word. Over 25,000 Teslas were delivered including mine, in Q1 because people believed that unlimited Supercharger was going away forever. And now they are bringing it back less than 2 months later. Tesla is sacrificing their integrity, simply to boost Q2 sales, it's not worth it in the long run.

I can sympathize and your point is reasonable. Tesla turned both taking the Supercharging away and then bringing it back as demand levers in consecutive quarters. That is the iffy part of an otherwise nice policy.

This would be very nice had Tesla simply not taken Supercharging away first and pushed a quarter worth of deliveries on that notion...

My own order(s) predate any Supercharging considerations, I did not change anything based on this. But I can see that had I changed something based on the end of free Supercharging policy, I could see this turnabout in a rather unfortunate light.

Reactions: johnzhang22
Electrek clarified again - further proving how Tesla miscommunicated this in epic fashion. It's still not entirely clear but I thinK:

1) Order before 1/15: Free SC for vehicle
2) Order after 1/15 but before 5/19: Free SC for owner (includes subsequent S and X)
3) Order after 5/19: 400 kwh per year UNLESS one of first 5 owner referrals, then free SC for vehicle

Model 3 excluded in all cases.

Delivery date irrelevant as well EXCEPT in situation #1 where delivery before 4/15 qualifies you for free SC for vehicle and delivery after 4/15 qualifies you for free SC for life.

In other words, a policy and communications nightmare.

• Informative
Reactions: GasKilla
I know - SO confusing.

Looks like:

1) Order before 1/15: Free SC for vehicle
2) Order after 1/15 but before 5/19: Free SC for owner (includes subsequent S and X)
3) Order after 5/19: 400 kwh per year UNLESS one of first 5 owner referrals, then free SC for vehicle

Model 3 excluded in all cases.

That's not true. Mine was ordered and delivered before 1/15. I have free SC for my vehicle (transferable) AND any new S or X I purchase.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

I think you have this one wrong, I think it is free SC for the owner while they still own that Tesla.

From the referral details: "Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership."

No matter when you order your Tesla, there will always be addtional features, pricing and benefits that will come after.

The program is that when you put down your deposit, both you and Tesla are bound to the terms.

Sometimes the additonal benefits are added with over the air programing updates, sometimes you can get the additional benefits by paying a price, and sometimes you just need to do without, as they are not available for upgrades.

I speak to owners with super early delivery, and they seem to still be happy with their cars, even if they have not gotten all the upgrades.

I love my S but I don't believe anything Tesla says anymore.

.. yeah .. same here. Thing is, by the time I'm ready to sell my car and buy a new one, the rules and situation may be different then.

Also I get the impression that between SpaceX and the boring company, Elon is treating Tesla car business like the grown up kid that can take care of themselves. Also the Solar Roof - it makes zero financial sense to do that, so I really wonder how many people will go for it over classic solar panels.

3. You haven't ordered a Tesla yet, but do so via a referral code: good for you, your car (but not you) will be getting unlimited supercharging (not transferrable).

Not exactly. From the referral details: "Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership." So only for you while you own the car. It doesn't transfer with the car, and it doesn't transfer to a new car you buy in the future.

This is terrible news and I am really hoping it doesn't extend to Model 3! There are already people hogging superchargers for use as businesses and people who buy electric vehicles but would rather charge it on someone else's dime. The supercharger network was meant for occasional long distance traveling, not for people to run businesses off of, or for people who don't want to charge at home. There are already issues with waits at superchargers, and I have little faith that the increase in superchargers will be enough to keep up with the Model 3's.
So for all those who are happy about this news, hope you enjoy your waits at superchargers!!

Don't fall for their tricks. I also wanted to get free supercharging but it's economically meaningless. Especially when there are long lines at Superchargers and the rates are throttled anyway.

Do not buy a Tesla for free supercharging it's just a gimmick to move cars in Q2.

The 5 superchargers near me according to the nav have all stalls available... It is not a gimmick, rates are not throttled, stop speaking for every tesla owner in the world. Tesla gives free supercharging for life and you have to be a negative nancy and complain still... smh. I have two roadtrips planned this year all 1000+ miles and i'd be saving $75-$150 in supercharging costs. Not meaningless to me.

I love how people can still see the negative from getting something free. Yes there are waits at some crowded superchargers, but isn't Tesla expanding all those locations? my nearest supercharger, the baton rouge supercharger, is always empty when i visit or check the nav. Slidell, Pearl, Lake Charles, Meridian superchargers have been empty or had only 1 other car any time i've visited.

Not exactly. From the referral details: "Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership." So only for you while you own the car. It doesn't transfer with the car, and it doesn't transfer to a new car you buy in the future.

We're saying the same thing. Whoever buys via a referral before 31 Dec 2017 gets a S/X with unlimited supercharging (but not transferable to future owners) but does not get unlimited supercharging for any new S/X she or he would buy. But in that scenario 3 she or he still gets a car with unlimited supercharging (which is better than scenario 4 - well at least until Tesla changes that...).

On the other hand, I don't agree with other posters saying that Tesla can go back on its promises (as it never did, in respect of this supercharging issue). Tesla promised in 2013 that (existing) cars would have supercharging "for the life of the car" (and that has always remained true). Now Tesla is saying that if you, as existing Tesla S/X owner, buy a new S/X, your next car will have supercharging for life, and I don't think they can come back on that either. Only true for your next car however; Tesla isn't currently saying you can benefit from that for your five or six next cars.

Same thing for the (first ownership) unlimited supercharging which people who use your referral will benefit from - Tesla cannot take that away.

But, on the other hand, Tesla is only promising what it is promising, at that's quite ring-fenced. I like it anyhow, and think it was a good move on behalf of Tesla, in terms of making us 'early adopters' evangelists and showing that we 'deserve' something (i.e. unlimited supercharging for our next cars as well) which no-one else will get (well, until Tesla changes the rules once more).

But my point is: Tesla can change its rules whenever it deems appropriate, but not to the detriment of people who, on this supercharging issue, decided to buy the car based on the supercharging 'rights' they would get based on Tesla's statements which incited them to buy the car. Tesla knows and respects this, I think. Up to now Tesla in any case has respected this, as far as unlimited supercharging is concerned. And today Tesla goes even further in its commitment towards early adopters.