Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the ludicrous update cost P90D people $10K.
But only $5K for the existing P85DL folk... to be fair to them.

The P100D upgrade costs $10K for the new owners.
But $20K to existing P90D people. The ones with V1 cars that can't go the 265 miles or the 10.9 ?

And I actually thought part of the announcement was going to be about squaring up with the V1 people.

Then what will we have to bitch about a year from now? :)

I have the utmost confidence in our group that we will find something about the latest rendition Model S vehicles, something perhaps trivial in the eyes of some, but significant in the eyes of others, which will result in either another "asterisks" thread, or another "open letter" thread.

This "something", will be good for at least 2,000 posts,.......... of which just fewer than half will be my own............................ok more than half will be my own. :D

But $20K to existing P90D people. The ones with V1 cars that can't go the 265 miles or the 10.9 ?

And I actually thought part of the announcement was going to be about squaring up with the V1 people.

Well, it was $22.5k for P85D owners to upgrade to a 90kWh battery.. without Ludicrous, which was $7,500 when it was first announced ($5,000 + labor).

So getting a 17 mile range upgrade (253 to 270 miles) for $22.5k cost a lot. Now, P90D owners could be getting a 45 mile range upgrade (270 to 315 miles) for $20k. Still expensive, but a whole lot less than it used to be!

Last edited:
What do you mean Tesla can't win? I certainly have nothing against the 1' roll out. Why do you have to have a negative comment after my post?

Keep your shirt on. It was a joke.

You may have nothing against the 1ft rollout, but it caused a firestorm of sorts in here a few months back from those arguing that the P85D 0-60 time was with rollout and the 85D time was without rollout and as such, the P85D didn't offer as much of an advantage over the 85D in the 0-60 metric as Tesla indicated.

But like I said, simmer down. No one was attacking you.

See what I mean NSX1992?

Tesla can't win.

This guy was expecting Tesla to "square up", with customers who had already bought.

But they announce more range, indeed 315 miles of range, and in so doing, making the cars and EVs more mainstream acceptable, and they announce more performance...........but he thinks that they should have been "squaring up" with people who have already bought.

Tesla can't win.

But simmer down NSX1992. It's not worth getting your blood pressure up over. It's not world hunger, global warming or some other crisis.

Last edited:
Are you sure about the 270 starting point? I'd like to know how 11% more nominal capacity results in 16.67% more range. The new cooling?

You'd have to look at the ratio of actual capacity available, which is less than 90kWh for the 90-pack and less than 100kWh for the 100-pack. If the "reserve" is the same absolute figure for both, than the ratio is more than 11.1% increased capacity.

Guys,

The way I understand it is the pack must have LESS cells (new chemistry)
Why? Because the 90D packs had 96 cells in series per module. In order to charge at Tesla supercharges which deliver about 403 volts you get 403/96 = 4.17 v per cell.
If you put MORE cells/module you would not be able to attain a full charge on a Supercharger.
Thus it makes the most sense that Tesla has increased the per cell voltage may from 4.2 to something more.
This way they could put less cells in series to achieve a higher capacity as Randy Carlson (SA) has opined.
We know the cells are still of the same volume per cell, so the logical implication is the voltage per cell has increased. Randy thinks 84 cells/module with a voltage of 4.7 would get to 100 kWh.

Are you sure about the 270 starting point? I'd like to know how 11% more nominal capacity results in 16.67% more range. The new cooling?
I have not heard of any V1 P90D owners getting anywhere near 270 rated miles. When we bought the 90kw battery for $3000 and the promised 6% increase from the 85kw ( 250 rated mile range ) lasted less than a month. I was told 3 different stories as to why my car was not getting the 268 miles, none of which were accurate. Now the V2 P90D's are reporting 270. Ouch.
When was the last time you bought something for $3000 and got nothing?

no 10's! :(

11.040 @ 119.72 MPH [93% SOC]
11.036 @ 118.01 MPH
11.051 @ 119.52 MPH
11.034 @ 119.34 MPH [82% SOC]

60's were 1.56-1.58

I supercharged, then drove 16 miles to the track @ 55 MPH, did not top off at the track, doesn't seem to matter, nice that the car keeps the power up run after run, but no 10's! I did edge out St. Charles... :)

Will put some videos and full data tomorrow....

Finally got a chance to check the difference in power at 100% and 80% SOC. It was 17hp. I'll let you decide if that should make any difference in your numbers.

75D = 237 miles
90D = 257 (+20)
P100D = 289 (+32)
So 15KW diff yields less increase than 10KW?
The battery pack numbers aren't exact. The 85 and 90 packs have always had overstated real world capacity. Probably just an actual 100kwh pack, hence the bigger jump. The new cooling and module enclosure may also save weight.

The difference between 75 and 90 packs are 14 modules instead of 16. So the difference is 87.5%. Not 15kwh (more like 11-12kwh).

Last edited:
I have not heard of any V1 P90D owners getting anywhere near 270 rated miles. When we bought the 90kw battery for $3000 and the promised 6% increase from the 85kw ( 250 rated mile range ) lasted less than a month. I was told 3 different stories as to why my car was not getting the 268 miles, none of which were accurate. Now the V2 P90D's are reporting 270. Ouch.
When was the last time you bought something for $3000 and got nothing?
When I bought my 90D last year, that's when.

So I picked up my MS P90DL at 10 am. First delivery at the new SC in Tempe, AZ. At noon it wasn't the top of the line car anymore.

No complaints, we love this thing.

What battery is this: 1088792-00-A. V3 I think/hope?

Also to thicken the plot on what battery/power everyone is getting, my car showed a range of 312 when I picked it up. I was surprised but wasn't going to mention it. Drove it all day (only over 100 mph), and now showing 238 miles.
If the P100DL is 315 miles, I think I am very happy. Very happy with power of my MS and couldn't see myself paying for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.