Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, just you. NRMA had filled up plans for NW NSW pretty well
Fair enough. (I see Chuq mentioned it in mid-Dec)
Would so be good if NRMA could actually keep their map accurate given Broken Hill and Cobar have been open for a while now.

Any idea when NRMA will start charging for this or if it will be included in their roadside service product?
No idea, other than the recent Cobar site having a reference to an App coming soon.

From the Wollongong Council Traffic Committee Agenda, 25 Jan 2022

Council is working together with the NRMA to provide Wollongong’s latest EV Charging Station located at Stewart Street East Carpark.
Site works are planned to commence early 2022 with the charging station planned to become operational by the end of this financial year. The installation of the charging station will result in the loss of three current marked car spaces, in return for the two charging station parking spaces.
The proposal includes two charging units, including one Ultra-fast charger, both accessible 24 hours, 7 days a week.
The spaces will be located on the western side of the car park adjacent to 19 Stewart Street.
CONSULTATION
Council is working with NRMA for the installation of the charging stations. Under a lease agreement between Council and NRMA, Council is to provide the electrical infrastructure suitable for NRMA to install their charging units.
A report has previously been prepared by Paul Anthony Electrical to investigate four possible charging station locations within Wollongong, and the selection made for Stewart Street East Carpark.
As the proposal is within an existing Council car park and only affecting 3 spaces in over 200 available parking spaces, specific consultation regarding the proposal is not planned.
PROPOSAL
The proposal is for the installation no parking electric vehicles excepted while charging on the western side of the car park adjacent to 19 Stewart Street.
So looks like one 160kW and one 75kW, operational by June 2022.
(And they've got a CHAdeMO handle on the quicker unit as well).
From the pic probably the new Tritium PKM150 unit that was just launched.

Detailed diagrams only show two parking spots and usual NSW "/P" signage.

Screenshot_20220124-135647.png

Last edited:
I’m surprised at how many check-ins some of the NRMA sites get. Some get a lot almost every day.

Possible reasons:
  1. People are complete cheapskates and go for the free charging rather than pay at other nearby sites.
  2. With a single stall site it’s far ruder to not check in and people are being extremely considerate 🤔
  3. Or it’s relative, and people aren’t checking in at Superchargers, Chargefox, Evie even though they are getting as much if not more use. Check-ins are for losers?

Reactions: Maximillan
  1. People are complete cheapskates and go for the free charging rather than pay at other nearby sites.
  2. With a single stall site it’s far ruder to not check in and people are being extremely considerate 🤔
  3. Or it’s relative, and people aren’t checking in at Superchargers, Chargefox, Evie even though they are getting as much if not more use. Check-ins are for losers?
To add to point 2, when there is a single stall it creates more opportunity for waiting time + interaction which can lead to educating others on the importance of plugshare.

I'll admit to not having considered checking in at Superchargers because of the built in comms and resilience of the network. Is checking in to Superchargers beneficial?

I think Plugshare check-ins are most important to establish a pattern of availability/reliability. So I guess that would apply more to single stall sites, or sites in remote locations, which applies to many NRMA chargers. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nullarbor three phase sockets, for example, have every single use recorded as a check-in. I can't see suburban Melbourne/Sydney sites, or any superchargers, getting a lot of check-in action, for example, relative to their usage.

People often say you should check in every time you charge, so that if someone else needs to charge urgently they can contact you. But that's a bit of an "early adaptor" thought process - as EVs grow, and >10% of the population are driving them it's not going to scale.

Chatting with Electric Highway Tasmania, they've cross checked and approx 30% of usage is reflected on Plugshare. May of course vary in different areas.

To continue with the EHT comparison, they have a spare Tritium unit in the state, and an agreement with a local company to be able to take it and swap out a faulty unit within 24 hours if necessary. This is what you get when paying their high rates (25c/kWh + 25c/minute), vs the free/subsidised costs of NRMA/QESH/etc (often weeks between failure/replacement).

It's good to see NRMA is going dual stall on a lot of their newer, more remote sites (Wilcannia, Coonamble, Brewarrina, Bourke) and also Wollongong.

I'll admit to not having considered checking in at Superchargers because of the built in comms and resilience of the network. Is checking in to Superchargers beneficial?

I confess too - I think I have checked in at a Tesla Supercharger once. Usually I don’t think of doing it until after I’ve gone. I don’t know why that is, because I check in at every non-Tesla site religiously. It is probably psychological due to the number of stalls at each site.

Or it’s relative, and people aren’t checking in at Superchargers, Chargefox, Evie even though they are getting as much if not more use. Check-ins are for losers?
I usually don’t check into Tesla, Chargefox or Evie sites on Plugshare as I use and expect other drivers use those companies apps to check if the charger is available. Their apps give live status of the sites, usually much better than relying on PlugShare.

I always check in at NRMA sites as they do not have an app and there is no way to see the live status of their chargers.

It will be interesting to see what NRMA do when they start charging for their charging. Will the app have live updates?

Reactions: doggy1
I use Plugshare on all one or two stall locations (ie pretty much everywhere except Superchargers) to check in when charging and to check availability of the site before I go there (not fullproof as not everyone uses Plugshare). Also check charging network apps.

All the crook NRMA chargers are indicated on the NRMA network map but this has not always been the case with faulty chargers.

NRMA is getting better at updating the website map..
But they still have a couple of open sites listed as under construction.

And Olympic Park is still listed as Maintenance, despite NRMA updating Plugshare to show it as back open this morning.