Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My own view is that, instead of trying to install one or two in lots of places they would serve the users better with Tesla's strategy: six minimum strategically placed.
Tesla is rolling out 3 units in some places.
And the reality is all stations are likely to go offline if there is a problem with the supply or rectifier units, as much as you might have an issue with a single stall.

Tesla is focusing on key trunk routes that are well travelled, and where it might at least break even on the network.

NRMA is very much a more altruistic rollout serving every part of NSW.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
I don't think it should be so cheap, as only non-members will be paying. 40-50cents is reasonable for occasional use. Anyone using them often can join for $120 per year
I agree. Even not counting that members get it for free, I don't think it needs to be a race to the bottom in prices. You see a lot of people saying 40, 50, 60c/kWh is "expensive". No, that's just what it costs for a fast charging network to operate and stay in the black. The ones less than that are subsidised - someone is paying for them, which may be taxes or auto club membership, or something else.

My own view is that, instead of trying to install one or two in lots of places they would serve the users better with Tesla's strategy: six minimum strategically placed.
The worst that can happen is to arrive at a one or two charger site to find them unavailable for one reason or another: having six means (certainly with Tesla's) you can plan with 99.9% certainly you'll be able to charge at that position,

Spot on. Chargefox should do the same. Multiple stalls instil a lot more confidence.

Reactions: aegidius
The worst that can happen is to arrive at a one or two charger site to find them unavailable for one reason or another: having six means (certainly with Tesla's) you can plan with 99.9% certainly you'll be able to charge at that position,

The usage of these public DCFCs is really ramping up and single stalls are not going to cut it any more.

I charged at Chargefox Karuah a few days ago. When I pulled up, a bloke was charging his Ioniq 5, so I used the other 350 kW unit. I had a chat to him about his Ioniq 5 - a great looking car with interesting interior. He’d only had it a few days and loved the car (he got the AWD version) but said the ordering and delivery were shambolic. Makes Tesla look good in comparison 😄.

Then another Model 3 turned up. Luckily, the Ioniq was nearly finished so the bloke told them he’d only be a few minutes. They then plugged in, and a few minutes after that, a family turned up in their Gen 1 Nissan Leaf, and plugged into the 50 kW NRMA unit (the only one there with CHAdeMO).

So all 3 units were in use! Admittedly it is holiday season, but I thought that was a pretty impressive sight.

And this is with 10,000 BEVs in NSW. Imagine when there are 100,000…

The usage of these public DCFCs is really ramping up and single stalls are not going to cut it any more.

I charged at Chargefox Karuah a few days ago. When I pulled up, a bloke was charging his Ioniq 5, so I used the other 350 kW unit. I had a chat to him about his Ioniq 5 - a great looking car with interesting interior. He’d only had it a few days and loved the car (he got the AWD version) but said the ordering and delivery were shambolic. Makes Tesla look good in comparison 😄.

Then another Model 3 turned up. Luckily, the Ioniq was nearly finished so the bloke told them he’d only be a few minutes. They then plugged in, and a few minutes after that, a family turned up in their Gen 1 Nissan Leaf, and plugged into the 50 kW NRMA unit (the only one there with CHAdeMO).

So all 3 units were in use! Admittedly it is holiday season, but I thought that was a pretty impressive sight.

And this is with 10,000 BEVs in NSW. Imagine when there are 100,000…
A few days ago I pulled up at the Chargefox in Euroa with a Leaf already using one stall. When I came back from the toilet a PHEV Outlander had taken up the 3rd and final stall. Imagine what it'll be like with more PHEV out there.

Reactions: Vostok
I was at the Farm (Ewingsdale/Byron) for breakfast one morning at 7:30. One stall was in use and I plugged into the other one. Lucky there were two. OK, so I get back at 8 or a bit after, and no fewer than FOUR cars were waiting patiently to charge. It was chaos. That location needs at least 4 stalls minimum. Sure I could have gone to the Knockrow supercharger (Macadamia castle) but it's well off the road. The Farm is a super convenient location right at the interchange.

I guess if the situation gets too dire, some Tesla owners might start using superchargers :eek:

Third party DCFCs are often better located than Superchargers - which let’s face it - are often in dud spots with few amenities nearby.

Heatherbrae is inconvenient heading south, Karuah is much better.

Evie at Taree is also great, being located at the Highway Service Centre. Nearest SC is 80km away at Cassegrain. And for the 350 kW units, you charge faster than at the v2 SCs.

And if you didn’t see my post in the NSW EV Charging master plan thread, future DCFCs funded through this programme must have a minimum of 4 EV parking bays and the ability to charge those 4 cars simultaneously.

So it is happening!

4 bay charging stations should be designed with 3 CCS2 and 1 CHAdeMO. The market share of CHAdeMO cars is reducing every day. There is absolutely no need for a 50/50 split anymore.
I think when the sites are first built, have a 50/50 split. As they are expanded, alter the ratio to align to the usage at that particular site.

Some of the Chargefox sites are leaning in that direction, going as far as having a single 50 kW CCS2/Chademo and two 350 kW CCS2 only.

A few days ago I pulled up at the Chargefox in Euroa with a Leaf already using one stall. When I came back from the toilet a PHEV Outlander had taken up the 3rd and final stall. Imagine what it'll be like with more PHEV out there.

PHEVS shouldn't using DC fast chargers in my view. There was an Outlander driver blowing up in Bathurst the other day because a Tesla was charging at the NRMA stall.

The PHEV can just drive to the nearest petrol station.

Not to mention all the red dust being sucked up through the lower vents.
Interestingly, in a previous life servicing electronics in remote outback fuel stops, it turned out to be more reliable having dusty air flow (even though some deposits built up over time) rather than filters that clogged leading to inevitable overheating and failure after only a short time.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter