Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PHEVS shouldn't using DC fast chargers in my view. There was an Outlander driver blowing up in Bathurst the other day because a Tesla was charging at the NRMA stall.

The PHEV can just drive to the nearest petrol station.

That’s hilarious. I hope the Tesla driver gave back as good as he got.

Perhaps the Outlander driver was a penny-pinching grinch who wanted a couple of bucks worth of free NRMA electrons rather than pay for petrol.

If the NRMA starts charging for charging™ maybe some of this behaviour will stop.

Reactions: jason66
They are serious about building a proper network where the car will be the limiting factor not the charging unit.

I think that’s misguided. Availability of stalls should be first priority. Instead of 2x350kw, I’d much rather see 4x120kw.

It just offers so much more redundancy against iceing/damaged plug/chargeholing or simply facing all stalls being occupied.

It’s a bit of a waste having one car tie up a 350kw stall when it can only charge at say 50kw. Cars like the iPace I think only do these speeds. And all ev’s drop below 50 when tapering.

If there’s grid supply limits far better to use 700kw for 4-5 slower stalls rather than 2x350.

Yes there’s some tricks available like sticking a huge battery in the middle, as seen in Goulburn, but as we’ve seen that complex solution has led to a lot less reliability than the nearby Superchargers.

Last edited:
Yes there’s some tricks available like sticking a huge battery in the middle, as seen in Goulburn, but as we’ve seen that comped solution has led to a lot less reliability than the nearby Superchargers.
I don't believe any of the outages at Goulburn have been pinned on the battery. In fact the battery has kept the servo operating when there was a widespread power outage!

I do agree that more ~150kW chargers is better than fewer ~300kW chargers, though - that Goulburn site with three chargers (2x350 and 1x50) has been fully occupied with cars queuing frequently in the last few weeks.

Reactions: David Sowden
I think that’s misguided. Availability of stalls should be first priority. Instead of 2x350kw, I’d much rather see 4x120kw.

Well, you’ll see 4x350 kW since that’s the minimum requirement to be funded under the NSW Government programme.

If there’s grid supply limits far better to use 700kw for 4-5 slower stalls rather than 2x350.

Apparently there’s a thing called “dynamic connections” where the units are collectively and dynamically managed to a maximum grid draw dependent on the wider network capacity available at the time.

e.g if all 4 stalls are in use simultaneously, but the grid can supply only 1 MW at that point in time, then the 4 stalls won’t all operate at 350 kW but at some lower level in order to not collectively exceed the dynamic total. Neat.

Reactions: Hairyman and Chuq
Any idea when NRMA will start charging for this or if it will be included in their roadside service product? Which I suspect will happen as I have roadside service on my Tesla M3 and keeping it for this reason as it may be a very good deal if we can 'subscribe' to EV charging...