Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks - the NRMA site says <<This map shows current chargers available to Members and is updated as more chargers become available.>> but it's not as up to date as Plugshare! The Plugshare map shows, for example, the Karuah chargers which have been online for a couple of weeks - the NRMA not.

Incidentally, is there any connection (no pun...) between the NRMA and ChargeFox? There's something on the latter's site that says some chargers are free, which seems to me to indicate they are NRMA.

>>PlugShare is excellent. Just make sure the hotel/accommodation filter is not set to on.<<

I've had Plugshare for some time, but there doesn't appear any way of setting options - what am I missing?

The Plugshare map shows, for example, the Karuah chargers which have been online for a couple of weeks - the NRMA not.

The Karuah charger is not an NRMA one, which is why it’s not listed on NRMAs website. Its owned and managed by Chargefox, with some sponsorship by NRMA.
The ones on NRMAs website are owned and managed by NRMA and are free for all at the moment.
Chargefox fast chargers (like Karuah) are not free.

The Karuah charger is not an NRMA one, which is why it’s not listed on NRMAs website. Its owned and managed by Chargefox, with some sponsorship by NRMA.
The ones on NRMAs website are owned and managed by NRMA and are free for all at the moment.
Chargefox fast chargers (like Karuah) are not free.

Cheers!
I did a quick top-up at the Karuah site (First time ex-Tesla charger) and it worked like a dream. Not particularly fast but it did work!

Model S LR/2020, about 75% and the charge rate was IIRC something like 43Kw. Since it was my first try at a non Supercharger drink - and I'd just given her a drink anyway at the free Heatherbrae supercharger - I just wanted to satisfy myself that the supplied adapter was the one ChargeFox and (presumably) the NRMA used and that the connection was validated by my mobile - all worked smoothly. I only took a couple of KWh.
There are three chargers there, all branded with the NRMA and ChargeFox logos which confused me!

Reactions: Shallowal
I hope they're planning on having double chargers, or at least a backup type 2, because rolling into town to find the only charger for 200km is banjoed is going to put a serious damper on your road trip.

I think it makes sense to encourage Type 2 socket chargers to be installed elsewhere in each town:

• Protects against localised power outages
  • Protects against localised blockages (e.g. car park being inaccessible due to roadworks or other event)
  • Issues with DC charging (vehicle or adaptor)
  • Provides an alternative for vehicles without DC charging (PHEVs etc)
  • Avoids the risk that someone on a slow charger will block the space needed by someone wanting to use the fast charger
Alternate AC chargers can and probably will be provided by sites such as hotels/attractions anyway, without NRMA involvement - maybe even multiple options in each town.

Also a very minor thing, and probably not something many people would agree with me on, but it allows the fast charging site to be dedicated to a single type/format of charger. A non EV owner seeing a range of different charging devices may even be put off.

A second DC charger would be useful if a single unit is faulty, busy or blocked, but doesn't protect against the above issues. Admittedly if you rock up and have to charge at 7-11 kW instead of the 50 kW you had planned, because the single DC charger is in use, then I agree that would be a pain - but if you couldn't use either charger for one of the reasons above that would be more annoying.

Consider what'd happen today if you rolled into West Wyalong and the single NRMA charger was out - the nearest charging option of any sort seems to be a Tesla destination charger 100km away in Parkes available to motel guests only, the next after that being the charger in Young 120km away.

NRMA were told by AEVA Sydney (and I reckon many others) that redundancy in their charging network was essential. Either through two DC fast chargers or through an AC 22kW station at each DC fast charging location (the latter at relatively minimal cost).

The point was acknowledged but not acted on for many sites. NRMA's goal I believe was to maximise regional coverage and support "EV tourism" not necessarily to enable fast, no/low wait, reliable charging. Councils who gave up land were hoping to attract EV tourists who would stay and spend. Charging speed and convenience is something that other operators will have to provide i.e. Chargefox, Tesla, Evie and now NSW Government.

Full credit for what NRMA have done. They have "made most of NSW travel" possible and raised visibility of EVs across regional NSW. It's up to other businesses to step in and make it a great charging experience and charge accordingly.

Reactions: Vostok