Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt that'd happen. If they were set up to run on AC, it'd take hours to put in a meaningful charge. It'd be cheaper to pay for a tow truck than have a patrolman stand around waiting to unplug it and bring it back. If they were set up to run on DC, they'd surely disappear and never be seen again.
In high-EV countries like Norway I hear they have mobile DC charging options. Pretty cool.

50kW DC units are $35-40k I believe. A type 2 11-22kW is a fraction of that and could be installed plugged in to a 3ph socket rather than hard wired (as they do at some of the RACV resorts). Even a parallel 3ph socket would add little extra.
$35,750 from EVSE.

The capital cost of the chargers is not the major issue though, it's the initial and ongoing costs of the electricity network connection that matters. A 22kW type 2 and 32A 3phase socket are going to need another 64A of supply, not that much different to a second RT50 needing another 80A.

I haven't seen a lot of movement on new NRMA sites, particularly the remote ones (Broken Hill, Nyngan, Bourke) shown here! (map published some time last year).

1621122642701.png

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
And I suspect a lot of this comes back to the recently closed Arena funding round

Where one of the requirements for funding was a site hadn't been announced.

So i'd expect NRMA, Chargefox, Evie etc have sites ready to go once they get funding.

(Noting that this round was focused on the capital cities. Unsure if there is a similar NSW govt round for regional chargers)

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
And I suspect a lot of this comes back to the recently closed Arena funding round Where one of the requirements for funding was a site hadn't been announced. So i'd expect NRMA, Chargefox, Evie etc have sites ready to go once they get funding.
I suspect the NSW Budget, to be handed down in mid-June, will be the trigger.

Two breadcrumbs lead me to this: (1) in the map above, the remote sites are flagged as “NRMA / TfNSW Co-Invested Sites” and (2) the NSW Treasurer, Dominic Perrottet said he will take a “holistic” tax plan for electric vehicles to this year’s state budget, which I think is code for Government assistance to extend the public charger network. Also:

“Perrottet’s approach is likely to involve incentives and investment in electric vehicle infrastructure, such as charging stations before a levy”

More DCFCs in the bush tick the LNP’s boxes, or at least can be defended as not just for the ‘inner city elites’.

Somewhere like Broken Hill they might want the whole way sorted before announcing

The route to Broken Hill needs some priority, but there is a slight issue...
From Cobar to Wilcannia is 261km, which for SR+'s doesn't leave much leeway for wind, bad weather or broken charging hardware.
And looking at Streetview on sections along the stretch, there doesn't seem to be any power lines along the road, so there is little chance even a small "filling station" could be installed between the two towns.

Anyone want to invest in a Solar powered charging station (with batteries) at Noona?

I found it:
Also see.

From Cobar to Wilcannia is 261km, which for SR+'s doesn't leave much leeway for wind, bad weather or broken charging hardware.
And looking at Streetview on sections along the stretch, there doesn't seem to be any power lines along the road, so there is little chance even a small "filling station" could be installed between the two towns.

Anyone want to invest in a Solar powered charging station (with batteries) at Noona?
Yes, that bit looks tricky. NRMA have always talked about 150KM between stops. The Emmdale Roadhouse looks like a good location but not sure how they get power.

The route to Broken Hill needs some priority, but there is a slight issue... From Cobar to Wilcannia is 261km, which for SR+'s doesn't leave much leeway for wind, bad weather or broken charging hardware.
Western NSW is extremely sparsely populated and large areas are off-grid. A big challenge for any EV infrastructure.

I’ve driven the Silver City Highway from Broken Hill to Mildura once - a drive of nearly 300 km. I don’t recall seeing a single town or roadhouse of any kind along that entire route. Almost completely uninhabited.

Would be an interesting business case for a solar/battery station at various outback spots.
The rates would have to be exorbitant, but then again outback services usually are.

Like this one, a lot of the remote Roadhouses used diesel generators (with their expensive shipped in diesel) for power.

Still more efficient than a diesel car, as a generator with an efficient engine running at constant speed gets good energy/L.

With time I'd expect you'd get bigger solar farms and Battery storage (you'll need more than just the roof of the Roadhouse).

Maybe some of the solar farm in a shipping container setups - deploy 35 panels out of a shipping container with tracking. Can go back into the box at night or when batteries are full.