Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the Ofgem cap has been published this morning already, they can hike the price up anytime now. Only the variable tariffs are subject to the price cap. IO is considered a fixed one and therefore outside the scope. The race is not to October sadly.

Reactions: browellm
As the Ofgem cap has been published this morning already, they can hike the price up anytime now. Only the variable tariffs are subject to the price cap. IO is considered a fixed one and therefore outside the scope. The race is not to October sadly.
Expect they will increase the tariff and the Tesla delays are now hitting energy bills.

Hi all,

We're new IO customers having moved over from Go (boo hiss price rises etc). However I'm having a lot of trouble with charging the car on IO and wonder if anybody can shed a light.

2021 Model 3 LR, charger is an Andersen A2. Test charge fine.

So the car gets plugged in after 1700 and the Octopus app generates a charging schedule, say 2230-2330, 0030-0330 and 0400-0500. The car when plugged in will try to charge but the Octopus app turns it off - car knows it is plugged in however and awaits charge. The problem is then that this never happens - at scheduled start it all just sits there, not charging. Pressing the "Start Charging" button in the Tesla app (or in the car) does nothing and shows an error message of "Charging already requested", and Bump Charge in the Octopus app also does nothing. The only way to start a charge is to unplug the car, let the charge port close, then plug it back in. However, due to the schedule it will then not charge after a break (so from 2230-2330 it charges, but then won't start again at 0030), so I wake up in the morning and I've gotten maybe a third of the charge I should have. This means I'm having to do a lot of expensive off-peak charging or public charging.

This is, honestly, driving me slightly batty. Do I need to turn off the IO smart charging and just go back to using a scheduled charge from 2330-0530 a la Go? Is there something wrong?
Mine won't always immediately charge at the start of the first 30 min slot. I've seen it start up sometime after the start of the first slot. Sometimes my slots have changed in-between plugging in and it beginning charging which has thrown me a few times.

If left alone, has it charged by morning?

Question about the Ohme Home Pro and Intelligent Octopus - there is a FAQ entry "Why can't I log into my Ohme account through the Octopus app?" - just wondering if this is something I'm supposed to set up? I've only worked through and got the test charge working today but slightly random charging seems to be happening (and not even sure they've actually switched me onto IO yet although I've completed the process on app). I've followed the other info in the thread but am wondering how Ohme/Octopus know who am as I've not given either a login to the other?

Question about the Ohme Home Pro and Intelligent Octopus - there is a FAQ entry "Why can't I log into my Ohme account through the Octopus app?" - just wondering if this is something I'm supposed to set up? I've only worked through and got the test charge working today but slightly random charging seems to be happening (and not even sure they've actually switched me onto IO yet although I've completed the process on app). I've followed the other info in the thread but am wondering how Ohme/Octopus know who am as I've not given either a login to the other?
I think you will find the random charging is to do with new regulations where charging must start a random time within 10 minutes of being plugged in, had the same query on my Zappi which someone answered on Facebook

Reactions: t0ne
Mine won't always immediately charge at the start of the first 30 min slot. I've seen it start up sometime after the start of the first slot. Sometimes my slots have changed in-between plugging in and it beginning charging which has thrown me a few times.

If left alone, has it charged by morning?
If left overnight it will not charge - so I can come out in the morning and have gained absolutely nothing. This, obviously, has screwed me over on several occasions already.

There are no schedules running on the Andersen or the Tesla app/car itself. The fact that bump charging doesn't work is a bit worrying to be honest.

I think you will find the random charging is to do with new regulations where charging must start a random time within 10 minutes of being plugged in, had the same query on my Zappi which someone answered on Facebook
Thanks, yes my installer mentioned that too. I think the issue was that Octopus hadn't actually switched the account properly until today so both Octopus and Ohme were trying to handle the charging. Had confirmation this morning that I'm now switched to Intelligent and it seems to be behaving. We'll see in the morning 🤞

Reactions: m3gt2
Just to confirm my Ohme charger integrated Octopus seems to work fine; I wonder if the issue is with you having been on the Tesla integration before. I’d email Octopus.
I'm tearing my hair out a bit at the moment with this, just because of the lack of transparency. How have you got your integration set up? I think I made a mistake using Google to login/setup my Ohme - but I'm not sure. I have a support ticket in with Ohme as I believe it should be username/password not an OAuth authentication but I don't know why this matters. Octopus have confirmed I'm on the tariff, the Octopus app is scheduling me slots, the Ohme app also seems to be scheduling but differently (they appeared to be the same last night but I think it was a coincidence). The Ohme can talk to the Tesla and all the extra options are turned off in the Ohme app as per @browellm's post. I'm not sure if the Octopus app is still talking to the Tesla, not 100% sure if I should do that or that' been done for me already by Octopus? (how do I tell?) - Any pointers would be great.

I'm tearing my hair out a bit at the moment with this, just because of the lack of transparency. How have you got your integration set up? I think I made a mistake using Google to login/setup my Ohme - but I'm not sure. I have a support ticket in with Ohme as I believe it should be username/password not an OAuth authentication but I don't know why this matters. Octopus have confirmed I'm on the tariff, the Octopus app is scheduling me slots, the Ohme app also seems to be scheduling but differently (they appeared to be the same last night but I think it was a coincidence). The Ohme can talk to the Tesla and all the extra options are turned off in the Ohme app as per @browellm's post. I'm not sure if the Octopus app is still talking to the Tesla, not 100% sure if I should do that or that' been done for me already by Octopus? (how do I tell?) - Any pointers would be great.
I'm not an Ohme integration expert but it is my understanding if you've got it set up correctly, you no longer see schedules in the Octopus app. It's all run from the Ohme app - and one of the current Ohme downsides is they don't publish a schedule like the Octopus app does, you have to look at their graph. I really recommend subscribing to the Octopus forums and reading andyvee's posts on the Ohme thread.
1661765070083.png

He's also got a Facebook group to specifically talk about Ohme integration, if that's your jam.

Ohme EVSE / Intelligent Octopus Tariff Integration Group | Facebook 4

Last edited:
Reactions: t0ne
Can anyone on Intelligent Octopus confirm whether you need to already have your Tesla to complete the switch? If yes, I will just try my luck with Go first.

Planning to give Octopus a call tomorrow to switch to Go/IO from EON Next, hoping that I can still get on the 40/7.5p tariff, but my Tesla collection will be on Sept 21. Fingercrossing so hard now!

Can anyone on Intelligent Octopus confirm whether you need to already have your Tesla to complete the switch? If yes, I will just try my luck with Go first.

Planning to give Octopus a call tomorrow to switch to Go/IO from EON Next, hoping that I can still get on the 40/7.5p tariff, but my Tesla collection will be on Sept 21. Fingercrossing so hard now!
I moved to Go ahead of my 22nd collection. My understanding that IO needs the car to do a test charge to make sure all is well before they switch.

Reactions: Utumno and mr_rxn

When you call them you won’t be able to get onto go/io straightaway. They will move you to the variable tariff and then once your switch is complete you can then select go/io. Although I do think you need the car for the io switch.

I called them Friday and my switch is due on the 31st, at which point I hope the current go tariff is still there.

Reactions: mr_rxn and MattM76
I'm not an Ohme integration expert but it is my understanding if you've got it set up correctly, you no longer see schedules in the Octopus app. It's all run from the Ohme app - and one of the current Ohme downsides is they don't publish a schedule like the Octopus app does, you have to look at their graph. I really recommend subscribing to the Octopus forums and reading andyvee's posts on the Ohme thread.
View attachment 846563

He's also got a Facebook group to specifically talk about Ohme integration, if that's your jam.

Ohme EVSE / Intelligent Octopus Tariff Integration Group | Facebook 4

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I did the "Disconnect Device" from the IO section of the app this morning and now the app doesn't show the Intelligent Octopus option from "Account & Settings" anymore. I'm hoping that's as expected and have asked their support to confirm all is set up correctly.

I had a failed smart meter install with Eon 6 months ago, if I were to switch to Octopus would they try again or is my property now blacklisted on some central database?
I had 7 over 2 years.

They just keep trying. It's a matter of getting someone with who cares enough - most of them are just contractors who do a swapout and if it doesn't work immediately just leave. On the plus side I have a little pile of unpaired IHDs.. I wonder if there's a way of using them for different rooms of the house (I suspect not).

After chasing [email protected] & [email protected] about two occasions where my car charged outside of the previous night's Intelligent Octopus schedule I've just received this reply...

"I have received confirmation from the smart tariff team that during the times you were charged peak rates (when you should have been charged off-peak rates), we were unable to take control of your vehicle's charging. As IO is a BETA smart tariff, it is unfortunately prone to issues of this sort, which is detailed in the terms and conditions upon sign up.

I have credited your account to cover both the incorrect charges and the unnecessary hassle this has caused you also. Please let me know if you have any other questions as I am more than happy to help out :)
"

Good that they have refunded but still rather concerning that it happened twice & once my tariff expires/is renewed next January I suspect that the peak rate will be several multitudes higher.