Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to get more entries into the battery table wiki - especially from people with an 85kWh battery that took delivery between Dec 2012 and May 2013.

It seems crazy that smartypnz got such an 'old' battery... the SN on yobigd20's battery is 3161 lower - yet he has a 'B' pack in his car...

I looked at the wiki and the edit page. I'm afraid that I might mess it up. Here is my information though:

VIN: 909
SN: T12J0000620
Delta VIN/SN Not sure what you are looking for here.
PN: 1014114-00-A
Built: Oct 2012 according to door information. (Delivered late Nov 2012)
Model: Sig P85
Not charging at 120kW. I charged at ~70kW max last week with 60 miles left on the car. I was the only car at the Superchargers at that time.

I looked at the wiki and the edit page. I'm afraid that I might mess it up. Here is my information though:

VIN: 909
SN: T12J0000620
Delta VIN/SN Not sure what you are looking for here.[
ignoring the 'T' and the year/month designation, the serial number appears to be just a simple running number. So I'm trying to figure out if they used them "in order" - and the table clearly shows that they didn't. Some people got packs with a smaller running number than their VIN, others have a much larger one.
For example dfly has a lower VIN than you do, but thinks his car was built after yours and also has a battery pack with much higher number.
I don't know if this means anything, yet. But it seemed worth tracking.
PN: 1014114-00-A
Built: Oct 2012 according to door information. (Delivered late Nov 2012)
Model: Sig P85
Not charging at 120kW. I charged at ~70kW max last week with 60 miles left on the car. I was the only car at the Superchargers at that time.
Thanks, I added this to the table.

15 extra minutes at EACH supercharger stop isn't a big deal? That adds up quickly.

I dunno. When I think about how often I'll use superchargers (when I have my X), vs. how much time I spend on this forum (not just this thread) ... the 15 minutes doesn't look so bad.

Just think of it as 15 minutes to surf the forum that you'd be spending on TMC anyway. :)

'always a silver lining'

I didn't ever find a comment that went to the next step on this: 120kW actually does not allow for charging more cars per day. I noticed this immediately but hadn't seen an official announcement so was waiting to comment then. I guess enough time has gone by that the email passed around the community is now the defacto official communication to the owners who care about this topic. The total output per car pair is 120kW whether 90kW limited or 120kW limited cars are charging. If the superchargers are full, each car will charge at an average of 60kW (until the taper goes below 60kW but that should be a small component). If the superchargers are not full then the station is not the limit on throughput. Maybe there is some unrealistic case of cars showing up in alternating groups of 4 and 8 cars where this assertion would be true but that's not even worth a feeble attempt at using to justify the statement.

I think this goes to queing theory. Cars will show up with a random arrival rate. The odds of two cars showing up at the same time and using the same SC pairs (say 1A and 1B) at the same time is very low. In addition, the first cars that show up will most likely take alternating spaces so they should wind up each getting a whole charger to themselves. Later arrivals will show up and share a charger with a car that has already charged some so their curves are offset and perhaps the first car is ramping down it's rate. Sharing is fairly effecient

I added mine to the battery table.

Model S battery label.jpg

S85 VIN 112, built Sept 2012, delivered 9/28/12
SN T12H0000193; delta 81
PN 1014114-00-A
Limited to 90kW even at 120kW chargers

If they were still delivering 90kwh batteries intermixed through April, I think that lessens the chance of Tesla doing anything as it raises the cost due to the number of people affected. I think it also means the May announcement was more calculated on timing than we (well, I) might have thought since they needed to make sure they were done shipping 90kw versions before the announcement.

The intermixing of batteries for months bothers me. Rather than missing a cutoff on an incremental improvement, Tesla was shipping mixed cars for months. When I put money down for a car, it feels reasonable to expect that most current iteration of the components at that point in time, that my car will be as current as the car that shipped the week or month before.

I suppose Tesla could have gotten a delayed shipment of older cells and decided to get them out the door before the May announcement.

type A battery

CAM00235.jpg

Vin: 2486
delivery: 12/22/12
18,000 fantastic miles

I am a little disappointed to see that I have a type A battery. However nothing can top getting the car last December. We will go on supercharger trips only 2-3 times per year. I have learned to only charge up to what we need to avoid the slow taper.

I dunno. When I think about how often I'll use superchargers (when I have my X), vs. how much time I spend on this forum (not just this thread) ... the 15 minutes doesn't look so bad.

Just think of it as 15 minutes to surf the forum that you'd be spending on TMC anyway. :)

'always a silver lining'

That's my mentality as well. Tesla also never said 60's wouldn't get the full 90kW before that I've ever seen, nor that we wouldn't get the full 120kW now, but I don't see anybody complaining about it. I love my car and I love getting free fuel on long trips. I don't mind that I might have to wait a little longer than somebody else.

Also was not comfortable messing with the Wiki edit - so here is my data:
jjaeger
VIN 2764
T12L0002784 (delta of 20)
1014114-00-B
Dec 12 built (deliver 12-23-12)
S85
Thanks, I added yours (and johnnyS') to the table. Do you have supercharging data? Based on our current theory I'd assume that you can indeed charge at 120kW (assuming fairly low SOC and a 120kW charger that you aren't sharing, of course)...
We now have 5 people with VINs between 2547 and 3128 who have Dec 2012 builds and 'B' batteries.
And we have smartypnz and and ken830 with VINs "mid 8-thousands" and 9328 who have 'A' batteries.

I think ckessel's theory that they got a delayed shipment of 'A' batteries looks more and more plausible.

If you have a car built between December 2012 and May 2013 - it would be really intersting to add your data to the table!

I'd love to get more entries into the battery table wiki - especially from people with an 85kWh battery that took delivery between Dec 2012 and May 2013.

It seems crazy that smartypnz got such an 'old' battery... the SN on yobigd20's battery is 3161 lower - yet he has a 'B' pack in his car...

Any way to add a column noting if the battery is the original or a replacement. A few on the forum have posted their battery was replaced. The additional information might be useful.
My Vin # is 1656; I have a "B" battery as a replacement battery that was replaced in Dec '12.

FWIW - I have an S85, if someone would like to update the chart with that info. I tried to figure out how to update it myself but didn't want to mess it up...
No worries. Added

- - - Updated - - -

Any way to add a column noting if the battery is the original or a replacement. A few on the forum have posted their battery was replaced. The additional information might be useful.
My Vin # is 1656; I have a "B" battery as a replacement battery that was replaced in Dec '12.
Done. Could you provide the other data as well? SN/PN, what type of car you have, when it was originally built?