Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On fence choosing between Model X and Mercedes GLS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Model X reservation, but did not follow through. Instead I bought a CPO '14 GL450 several months ago. I made the right decision for my situation, but here are some insights I can give.

Cost: I couldn't justify the high MSRP of a new GL/GLS vs. a Model X. The Model X would have ended up being cheaper since I'm going to own it a pretty long time, and that would have really bothered me because it was the car I really wanted. The GL service interval is 10,000 miles, so it's not that many extra planned service visits vs. a Tesla. They are more expensive visits than the MX obviously, but not outrageously so. Fuel cost is going to be the big money differentiation. The GL takes Premium and guzzles. If you get the V6 it's probably a little better, but over enough miles the costs of fuel will still be very far apart.

Tech: No contest, I love the Tesla touchscreen and everything that goes with it. My GL has a small, simplistic system. Really one of the crappier looking setups, but it is functional. The GLS is the same vehicle as the GL with a face lift and Mercedes floating tablet replacing the embedded screen. After I canceled the MX reservation, I decided that every other car sucks so bad in this regard that I'm just going to end up mounting my phone on the dash. So that is what I do.

Performance: Obviously unless you are going GL63, there's no touching the P90 MX. For the '14 year the 450 still has a V8, which I can get a tune to 500hp, 575 lbft when I'm ready. Get Active Curve if you go GLS, people speak very highly of it. I wanted it, but couldn't find it in a GL I liked in time. Mine corners like a barge. I mean not Lexus RX bad, but you know....not good.

3rd Row Space: My current car was high miles, not real large, and I felt on borrowed time. We just had child #2 and know #3 will be in the future, so it made sense to replace my car before #2 arrived. The GL has nice third row seats and actual leg space (looking at you X5). I haven't been in an MX, but based on the specs and shape of the MX you'd likely have to be delusional to say the GL doesn't have more space. It is larger by every measure. Leg room, head room, and way more shoulder room.

Storage: Unless you are going Suburban or some other huge vehicle, there's not much space in the back when the third row is in use. For normal SUVs obviously you can use the roof rack. The MX has the frunk, but I think there's no getting around the roof rack if you have 3+ kids and are traveling. Elon has put out the suction rack over one falcon door, effectively disabling it. Not a great solution, but manageable I guess.

Reliability: This kind of killed it for me. I got to the point in late '15 when I'd very soon need the new car. The MX rollout was bumpy to say the least. I wasn't sure when I was going to get it, and I wasn't in a personal position where I could risk the car not working or needing to go to the service center a lot. The Mercedes dealer is a couple minutes from my office should I need them. If I could have pushed the decision another year or two I may have gone MX.

My wife's small car cannot seat 3 across due to the design. I am pushing Model 3, which hopefully will be available in time. She likes my GL and is interested in an MB of her own. We'll see what wins out down the road.

In general, there is not much difference between EV and ICE cars, other than the radiator and engine block. ...Tesla holds its records close to its chest, so we will never know its full story on this.
Hmm..not much difference between EV and ICE other the radiator and engine block..interesting theory
And Tesla holds its records close to its chest while it opens its chest of patents to the entire world.
I think even the Republican delegates from Texas are better informed about Tesla.

Hmm..not much difference between EV and ICE other the radiator and engine block..interesting theory.

OK, you got me. I forgot the exhaust system. The seats, wheels, brakes, rotors, tires, doors, windshields, shocks, lights, trunks, steering, compressors, safety tech, vanity mirrors, cup holders, etc. are all same.

And Tesla holds its records close to its chest while it opens its chest of patents to the entire world. I think even the Republican delegates from Texas are better informed about Tesla.

Funny that just today, an article was published on how Tesla makes owners sign NDAs to not report issues to NHTSA. This specific case is on abnormal rusting of suspension parts, possibly leading to wheels falling off. According to people knowledgeable in auto sector, such practices are unheard of. I bet the repair info of Tesla cars will be more useful than its patents. I know no one who has used Tesla's patents; I am all ears to hear if any company has. BTW, patents are always public info, but their use is not gratis. It's not clear what the terms of using Tesla's patents are, if any of them is useful. Chinese EV makers are doing fine without using any of Tesla's patents.

Tesla Suspension Breakage: It's Not The Crime, It's The Coverup - DailyKanban
Daily Kanban article said:
This offer, to repair a defective part in exchange for a non-disclosure agreement, is unheard of in the auto industry. More troublingly, it represents a potential assault by Tesla Motors on the right of vehicle owners to report defects to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s complaint database, the auto safety regulators sole means of discovering defects independent of the automakers they regulate.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jeeps17 and xkwizit
And you quote Daily Kanban which is a blog. Even my middle school debater knows not to quote blogs as evidence.
You and the blogger completely twisted something out of shape to meet your needs.

You seem prejudiced to think that anything that's not published by populist media, watered down for majority consumption, is wrong. I followed the links in the article to double check (TMC threads, BBB). Have you done your homework to prove anything is wrong? If so, by all means dispute that article and do all a favor.

• Disagree
Reactions: madodel
It's not about prejudice for or against populist media. A blog is just anyone's opinion and there are lots of people publishing their opinions on the web. Just because they are published on the web doesn't mean they are credible. Even Huffington Post is not considered as reliable source of evidence.
What I am pointing out is that when we quote an evidence as Tesla wrongdoing, it better be a reliable source. And Daily Kanban is not.

Trying again (my previous post was moved to snippiness thread). This is too important to overlook.

...Funny that just today, an article was published on how Tesla makes owners sign NDAs to not report issues to NHTSA...

@Dr ValueSeeker, the above article does *NOT* say Tesla makes owners sign NDAs to not report issues to NHTSA.

The "author" of this article, incorrectly wrote, "...it represents a potential assault by Tesla Motors on the right of vehicle owners to report defects to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s complaint database..."

In fact, in the very next paragraph, it reports that, "...this incident was reported to NHTSA and there is an ongoing investigation..."

Not only is the article dubious, but you have extrapolated the dubious article even further.

Trying again (my previous post was moved to snippiness thread). This is too important to overlook.

@Dr ValueSeeker, the above article does *NOT* say Tesla makes owners sign NDAs to not report issues to NHTSA.
The "author" of this article, incorrectly wrote, "...it represents a potential assault by Tesla Motors on the right of vehicle owners to report defects to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s complaint database..."

In fact, in the very next paragraph, it reports that, "...this incident was reported to NHTSA and there is an ongoing investigation..."

Not only is the article dubious, but you have extrapolated the dubious article even further.

I didn't report or dislike your post. Guess someone else moved it to snippiness. I get much worse feedback from this forum of fan boys and girls.

Your argument is that "Because the user @gpcordaro reported the incident to NHTSA notwithstanding the goodwill agreement to keep it confidential, the goodwill agreement allows him to do so.". This is false. His reporting to NHTSA likely violated the agreement (if he signed it), and certainly seems so from the wordings of the agreement. In fact, @gpcordaro also reported what NHTSA told him to keep confidential, which also seems to be disobeying what NHTSA agent told him.

I'd think, most people who signed such goodwill agreement will keep the incidents confidential, to be safe. The quick removal of a video of a very poor quality Sig Model X from Youtube, originally posted by the owner (now re-posted as "Tesla Model X crement - biggest pile of s***t) seems to indicate, that Tesla has some power to threaten owners when they find violation of their goodwill agreement.

Now, I admit, I don't know if such practices are unusual. Hard to believe that some other automakers haven't tried such things to keep issues hidden from public.

• Disagree
I would definitely not buy the current GLE and GLS... they are expensive and still have previous generation interiors (e.g. last gen E class) that are by now 10 years old (tech has been somewhat upgraded, but due to the interior limitations, just old). They just look out of date... I am so surprised MB didn't quickly update its GLE/GLS SUVs with the new E/S interior and tech...

I wouldn't get the Model X either... it's nice to look at, very techy inside, modern, but really is overly complicated and has too many issues.

I would recommend the new Audi Q7. It looks much better than the GLS, much better tech, just newer in every way. It doesn't have Model X's problems, and you save a lot of money compared to the other SUVs. Less money, better product, best of both worlds!

I have had two GL450 ('07 '14 models) and I am very happy with the '14 and its features. However I don't drive it as much since I am using a BEV mainly (Ford Focus EV) and find hard to go back to an ICE.

I am scheduled to trade the GL with the MX hopefully by year end (5 seaters are not scheduled yet)

However I am starting to doubt my decision:

1-The ground clearance on MX might not allow be to go off road as with the GL; and yes I bought the suspension option. Why are people calling the MX an SUV? Are there any reviews of the MX in off road conditions?

2-There is NO way the MX has more room than the GL...at least when is comes to hauling stuff. The non reclining middle seats
are probably the main reason. Many have stated that even the Model S can haul more than the X.

3-My GL has still retained about 50% of its value at 50k miles and that is with Tesla's low ball trade-in offer. Not sure a 3 year Tesla retains that value.

Hey I am a big Tesla fan but might want to keep my GL instead of trading it in.

@xkwizit I am not on fence between EV and ICE. EV is no doubt best for driving which I realised when I test drove it. My only concern is safety features like BSM, Pedestrian detection and auto braking. I am comparing those features. Tesla, no doubt is the safest vehicle when involved in crash . Question is, does it have the best technology to avoid accident. That is where I am on fense and seeking advice from current tesla owners.

To me these concerns are not warranted. Have you ever been driven cars without pedestrain detection or any of those other features and you ever thought you were a threat to pedestrain safety when you're on the road? I woundn't think so. Having good driving skills and being alert all the time when you're driving is always more important than any of those gimmicks. On the other hand the driving pleasure and satifaction from a Tesla or Model X will not be matched by the Merc. Not even close. Hope this helps.

Sold a 1yo ML63 for Tesla and never looked back. It's just technologically light years ahead.

Blind spot warning is better on the Benz since it's at the eye level on mirrors but I can't imagine it being a deal breaker. Also, I think GLS may have more room in the 3rd row compared to the X. So, check that if it's important.

I bought a 2016 GL thinking that the X was too far away. Now that folks are able to order and X and get one within a few months, I put in an order for the X. The most significant drawback from GL -> X that I have not been able to mitigate is the room in the 3rd row. The X is less flexible for us in the room department. In the GL we can put our kids in the 2rd row and adults in 3rd row easily or visa versa when carrying all 6 of us. With the X, we will be forced to have the kids in the 3rd row and I still think it will be tight width wise. We would only use the GL/X for carrying large items or large numbers of people.

To me these concerns are not warranted. Have you ever been driven cars without pedestrain detection or any of those other features and you ever thought you were a threat to pedestrain safety when you're on the road? I woundn't think so. Having good driving skills and being alert all the time when you're driving is always more important than any of those gimmicks. On the other hand the driving pleasure and satifaction from a Tesla or Model X will not be matched by the Merc. Not even close. Hope this helps.

I beg to diiffer with you. It's not about good or bad driver, being attentive or not. Technology has advanced. Whats wrong in having the assistance of technology that will create safer roads. Accidents don't happen all the time because of bad drivers. BTW Tesla Model X can detect Pedestrians and Cyclists. I went through their manual and found out this in page 96.

Automatic Emergency Braking The forward looking camera and the radar sensor are designed to determine the distance from any object (vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian) traveling in front of Model X. When a frontal collision is considered unavoidable, Automatic Emergency Braking is designed to automatically apply the brakes to reduce the severity of the impact.

@zer0cool Audi Q7 is completely out of league. It doesn't have space to compete with GLS or even X. For similar technology stack it would cost as much as 75-80 grand.

When your range hits Zero and it's Zero outside you begin to dream about a gas station. This may explain 200,000 electric cars vs billions of ICE's. EV are wonderful but no very convenient in many situations. This will get better over time. Try driving an EV in florida when the water floods the streets 10 times a year.

Well, I live in Sarasota, and the streets flood. Never had a problem in 6" of water. As far as gas stations, after 23,000 miles including several trips, it's a non-issue.

From a GL450 moved to the X 2 months ago

Space: GLS>X No matter how you compare
Comfortability: GLS>X Everyone loves sitting in the GL better than in the X
Driving: X>GLS The X can be driven much harder. The X feels much smaller
Convenience: X>GLS All the techs.....
3rd Row Space: GLS>X Two real seats
3rd Row accessibility: X>GLS The whole point to get the X.....
Interior: GLS slightly better than the X if you pay the extra of the Designo, I love the X interior more, but my wife the opposite. I love my new S class interior more than the X though.
Reliability: I dont see the Mercedes is better, I had several problems with the airbags, brakes....etc Draw
Road noise: Draw
Wind noise: GLS>X
Safety: Draw
Cost: Draw
Performance: Unless you get the AMG to against and Non-P X, X>GLS

Here you go - Mercedes still way behind Tesla. The pedestrian feature won't avoid the pedestrian on its own. It just turns the steering wheel harder after the driver swerves in order to help swerve harder, which in an SUV, could cause a rollover. The much lower center of gravity on the Model X is a far bigger safety feature. Mercedes also don't have OTA updates, and fleet learning, so the system you get when you drive the Mercedes off the lot is it. Nice to know that the Tesla Autopilot, which is already much better, will be even better in your car 1-2 years from now after more free updates.

Mercedes-Benz's 2017 E-Class won't let you nap behind the wheel

Here you go - Mercedes still way behind Tesla. The pedestrian feature won't avoid the pedestrian on its own. It just turns the steering wheel harder after the driver swerves in order to help swerve harder, which in an SUV, could cause a rollover. The much lower center of gravity on the Model X is a far bigger safety feature. Mercedes also don't have OTA updates, and fleet learning, so the system you get when you drive the Mercedes off the lot is it. Nice to know that the Tesla Autopilot, which is already much better, will be even better in your car 1-2 years from now after more free updates.

Mercedes-Benz's 2017 E-Class won't let you nap behind the wheel
Autopilot avoids pedestrians?

This is a model X forum, you're going to get biased answers :) I love my model X, and although I've never been in a GLS, I can't imagine anything being better . . . . . . snip . . .
even some of the car forums bag on the feeling of insufficient luxury goodies on the GLS ... as do many of our family members, of which many are MB fans. That said, and not wanting to bag on a ride I've never personally driven (rear passenger only) - I'd only say it's ok. But if someone wants one, heck, they're definately less expensive than the X ... especially when fully optioned.