Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On fence choosing between Model X and Mercedes GLS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, made the call. Going for Tesla Model X 75D with all upgrades(basic 20" wheels and standard audio) . Ordered yesterday only. Hope no buyers remorse . Thank you all for the inputs.

Congrats on the car. To answer your question about the Active Safety features (Side Collision Avoidance and Blind Spot Monitoring), my opinion is that the Tesla's are far better than any other on the market simply because it doesn't require you to look for a silly light on the mirror or take your eyes fully off the road. The display of the car is right in front of you with the colored wavy lines.

More importantly, the passive safety features (architecture in the cars) are FAR better than anything on the road.

Service is optional on the cars, but I do my own tire rotation changes and will bring the car in every other year.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Finally, made the call. Going for Tesla Model X 75D with all upgrades(basic 20" wheels and standard audio) . Ordered yesterday only. Hope no buyers remorse . Thank you all for the inputs.
Great choice! I just got rid of our GL550 (2012). Reference earlier post in this thread-- some things started to fail on our GL, starter/alternator/switch, and radiator. Parking-shift lever were spotty and on the way out. Parking sensors activating in the middle of traffic.

Reactions: RajendraD
Congrats Raj. You will be happy with 90D upgrade. I just took delivery last week of my MX90D. It gives 250 miles on full 100% charge and around 230 at 90% charge. The only upgrade, I went for was the battery, smart suspension, Metallic paint and 6 seat option. I am very happy with that so far. Hope, You will get yours' soon and enjoy it.

I am actually thinking of upgrading to 90D instead of 75D and got with basic painting, remove cold weather package. Not sure if it is worth though

Congrats. Definitely should consider 90D. I feel that the 75D can be too limiting and will make long trip a little more stressful (not impossible). I have never considered the 75D since I came from a S85.

We are planning a trip to CA/OR border this summer and there is destination charging only in our hotel, so the extra 50 miles of range does give me some comfort so we can venture farther away from the home base.

2. Coming to Blind Spot Monitoring, how effective is it? I read rather unsettling reviews online about its BLS feature . I got so used to this in my current car

One thing about the Blind Spot Monitoring that I don't think has been mentioned (aside from the difference that most manufacturers use lights in the side mirrors and Tesla uses a software solution) is the difference in sensors:

Mercedes, Audi etc. do Blind Spot Monitoring using rear-bumper radars (non visible, inside bumper). Tesla does Blind Spot Monitoring using rear-bumper ultrasonics.

While Tesla does employ "long range" ultrasonics, the reality is, they still see a far shorter distance than radars do. This does not matter in slower speeds as the "blind spot" is a short distance away, but it does mean Tesla won't see a car that is fast approaching the blind spot further away as the Germans do. Germans warn not only cars in Blind Spot, but also fast cars approaching it further away. Tesla does not to the same extent, because it can't see them.

So, in the Tesla, use those mirrors more than you might in the Merc. Especially important if you use that Auto-Pilot lane change...

Congrats. Definitely should consider 90D. I feel that the 75D can be too limiting and will make long trip a little more stressful (not impossible). I have never considered the 75D since I came from a S85.

We are planning a trip to CA/OR border this summer and there is destination charging only in our hotel, so the extra 50 miles of range does give me some comfort so we can venture farther away from the home base.

Plus the 90D is super fast. Everytime i press on it a bit i think to myself, wow inwonder how the P90 is if this is so powerful.

Now you are spoiling me . Damn one more day before I finalize it. Where to cut costs and how to convince wify. lolllll

Battery / Power is not where you want to cut costs. The premium audio system is "ok" , so getting the normal one would probably be ok to. I never use the air suspension but it came with the car so oh well. I have used bio weapon defense mode next to dumpsters and a new building construction and it works, could I live without it ? If I where in China maybe not but in Florida yes. The fit and finish was very suprising as to how great it is, I had low expectations coming from a Cayenne but to be honest, I't up there with Porsche now, even a Ferrari owner friend was very surprised with how great it looks inside.

Now you are spoiling me . Damn one more day before I finalize it. Where to cut costs and how to convince wify. lolllll

If you want to cut cost and if you have small children, you may want to delete the PUP. I have PUP and the only item which I see myself "enjoying" everyday is the alcantra headliner as it does give the interior a premium feel. The self-presenting door is actually more hassle than it is worth. My wife made me order the PUP because of the Bioweapon Defense mode but we have yet to use it once in about a month.

And on the good side, since you are ordering Ultrawhite seat, without the PUP, you will actually get non-perforated seats which may work out better for durability if you have young children.

The PUP is a collection of nice-to-have's which you may only want one or two out of the whole list...

Ok I am in for 90D. I will put down more so that my monthly remains the same. Now does any one tell me how RED is in real world. I haven't seen one with RED paint on it. I have to lock it by tonight. Thanks again to all of you who chimed in with valuable suggestions.

Congratulation! I'm on the same boat as you, following this thread all the week with decent effort to compare those two cars to have my order confirmed this morning as well, hope Tesla can deliver the car soon. Mine is 75D, sliver metallic, black. Wifey doesn't want to spend that extra to upgrade to a 90D, hopefully we made the right decision. :)

Reactions: SmartElectric
GLS would have been a better choice !

@mkjayakumar We debated it for almost 4 months. Test drove both the vehicles multiple times before coming to conclusion. I am sure there will be some adjustments to be made and I don't deny that. But

Superior Ride,
Better comfort for (family of 4 ) and comparable comfort for 7 seating
Idea of not burning a gallon of Gas just to drop of my kid at school
Idea that my car won't be outdated the day I drive it out of showroom

Add to this
Autopilot
Summon
OTA updates
Falcon wing doors (I can see it very useful with a toddler and 2nd kid who is due in December)

It doesn't have the same cargo hauling/carrying capabilities of GLS, but then I questioned myself, how much did I needed that capability in the last 4-5 years. Answer was none. Even assuming that I need that capability, say once a year, question is, should I sacrifice 364 days just for that one day?

Going to 90D from 75D was a stretch and I hope it is worth it.

Moreover who do not want to own cool gadget (yes it is a gadget and a highly functional one)

Congrats! You will love your 90D.

The $10K is well worth it in terms of power and more importantly range anxiety. If we had the 75 instead of the 90 on a couple of our drives we would have had to cut down on AC on a 110+ day and drive at 55mph on a 65mph road to get to the next supercharger and not to mention the stress it would have had on us during that trip with two young kids in the car.

IMHO - battery capacity should be the last compromise in an EV decision.

Congratulation! I'm on the same boat as you, following this thread all the week with decent effort to compare those two cars to have my order confirmed this morning as well, hope Tesla can deliver the car soon. Mine is 75D, sliver metallic, black. Wifey doesn't want to spend that extra to upgrade to a 90D, hopefully we made the right decision. :)

I was in a similar boat but convinced wifey to go along and now she appreciates that decision. Unless the car is meant solely for local commute having the extra range is well worth it.

The question to ask wifey is - when you are driving the car at night, far away from home would you like to be worried about whether you can get to the next charger or even if you find a charger spend half hour there instead of driving straight to home? If worked for me :D