Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, are these grandfathered x and s stil elligble for the rebate? Since their lead time is short, presumably there aren't any that orders before March 9 and didn't get delivered by July 11...but I think that exception allowed them to get the rebate up until September...so that would be messed if a model x delivered in August got the rebate, but a 3 delivered this weed did not....

I have no idea but lead times for S/X were and are much shorter than Model 3. I highly doubt there are orders for S/X from before March 9 still waiting to be delivered.

Hey folks, How about the Feds accelerate their Carbon imposition for the "special" events occurring in Ontario right now vis a vis
Dougie F & give notice to what are the implications of the "cancellation" of the Cap & Trade? The Feds are really not saying what their
Carbon plan is for the provinces without a plan are they? Perhaps a gentle, specifically tailored ( and leaked ) communication to the PCs would help clarify both the cost of the orderly "winding down" of C & T along with the Federal Carbon plan to be started as of Jan '19.
Just a thought...
I have a feeling that many of the model 3s will be delivered in late August as that is the same delivery time for new inventory Model X. If my logic is right, they’d send a big batch all at once during that time.

Hopefully, just like BC, they will bring back rebates in 6 to 12 months from now when the EV sales drops; or Fed may introduce something. I think it is better to just get a full refund before Tesla changes his mind.

Model 3 may have better features later, and SR will come out too.

They need a system that is acceptable to the general public. A rebate of $10.000 for BEV's costing $35,000.00 or less moving to $5,000.00 for EV's selling above $35,000.00 to $50,0000.00. Prices over $50,0000 no rebate. All based on final total invoice price before taxes.

I found it strange that the $50,000.00+ Chrysler Pacifica made in Ontario got a $14,000.00 rebate and only goes about 40KM's on electricity. The program was very flawed.

That would encourage the introduction of low cost EV's that will really make a difference in the long run. Expensive BEV's do not need incentives.

Hey folks, How about the Feds accelerate their Carbon imposition for the "special" events occurring in Ontario right now vis a vis
Dougie F & give notice to what are the implications of the "cancellation" of the Cap & Trade? The Feds are really not saying what their
Carbon plan is for the provinces without a plan are they? Perhaps a gentle, specifically tailored ( and leaked ) communication to the PCs would help clarify both the cost of the orderly "winding down" of C & T along with the Federal Carbon plan to be started as of Jan '19.
Just a thought...

I don't think the PC's care. They would just take it to court and deley. It looks like the Liberals are going to have a very tough time in the election next fall. If the PC's get in then the problem goes away. I doubt the Liberals want a fight on raising the taxes of Gas and electricity going into an election in a number of provinces.

Ultimately the consumers and taxpayers ended up paying more under cap and trade. Increased gas prices, natural gas for home heating, hydro, everything.
And even though we drive Tesla's, most goods are shipped with fossil fuels and increased transport costs affected us all.
Cap and trade was a tax increase in an indirect way, similar to rent controls and the minimum wage hike .

I used to be pro carbon tax until I saw what happened in BC where they stopped being revenue neutral and treated it as another revenue source for spend addicted leftist governments.

I do agree that the government shouldn't be subsidizing fossil fuels either.. unfortunately all these "green" programs are nothing more than governments playing political games with little substantive action to combat climate change

That's the whole point of the Green programs: to change behavior - Same as the LCBO pricing alcohol and limiting access hours at restaurants; does stop binge drinking, in fact it causes more people to binge drink due to the scarcity + time concept.

But here's the thing, the carbon cap and trade was working. Giving home owners incentive to upgrade their own energy hod appliances and improve their home efficiency does help reduce our reliance on fossil fuel sources. Only problem was the privatization of our utilities (profit hungry CEO). Politics and lack of long term planning has FORKED us all in this province. Good policy needs a good ten years to see maturity. Changing government every four years will never make any meaningful change for the good.

Reactions: ZsoZso and NoBeard
I was reading on facebook what people are saying about our issue and its disgusting.
Things like:
If we can afford 65+ car we can afford the 14k
They cannot afford changing a car why they would support us
They dont want us taking their tax money for our benefits

People dont even know whats going on. And it makes it harder to call attention of anybody who is not in our situation. We should fight this srongly together...

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I was reading on facebook what people are saying about our issue and its disgusting.
Things like:

People dont even know whats going on. And it makes it harder to call attention of anybody who is not in our situation. We should fight this srongly together...

People tend to use their own situation as determinative in whether someone else’s is worthy of sympathy or disdain. If they don’t have what you do, they are incapable of understanding issues like fairness and equal treatment most of the time.

The intellectual sophistication of these people runs out of charge at ‘I didn’t get 14k to buy my car, why should you?’ Unfortunately this is about as mentally agile as most people get.

To them it’s about need. The rebate was never about need. It was about persuasion.

Last edited:
That’s because the issue is about principle and fairness but the focus is being placed on money. What the PC’s is wrong and should be challenged in court by Tesla.
Funny, if Ford said all social assistance will now only be paid to owners of their residence, thereby excluding all renters, these people would understand the fair and equal treatment concepts pretty quickly.

I’m not saying anti rebate people are on welfare. I’m saying the same principle applied to another circumstance would illustrate how people pick and choose those that get fair and equal consideration and those that don’t. It’s absolutey an ongoing popularity contest.

If we like you, we sympathize. If we don’t you get the short end of it. Or at least we want you to. Equal treatment is a fun concept to most that they pay lip service to. In practice, when you have to pick a side, most choose based on whether they like a person or group, not fairness or equal treatment.

Last edited:
Reactions: sitter_k
Cap n trade ended, EV rebate gone. I still don't see drop in gas price!
The gas price drop is a crock of s**t. People need to realize the money for the rebates came from a green energy program (carbon tax). This new government is getting out of that program so the money being generated from it is gone. They will have to find money elsewhere for any green energy incentives unless they cancel everyone of those incentives.
Not sure how they are going to get the oil companies to reduce their gas prices. Remember, both provincial and federal governments get tax revenue the from fuel. The higher the price, the more tax they receive. Lowing the fuel costs also reduces the amount of revenue the governments makes. It’s a vicious cycle.
Ford is trying to allow the big 3 automakers to catch up to companies who are years ahead of them in the EV sector. Ontario’s economy is tided to ICE vehicles and they can’t and won’t let EV’s slow down the province. Hopefully companies like Tesla can become profitable and start manufacturing the more affordable version of the model 3. China will eventually corner the market in EV production because they saw everyone else was asleep at the wheel. This allowed them to take control of that market. I can see affordable vehicles coming from China when Tesla’s new factory opens in 2 years.

Things like:

People don't even know whats going on. And it makes it harder to call attention of anybody who is not in our situation. We should fight this strongly together...
We R a minority, no? The bigger issue is getting off carbon. Now, the new Dougie F plan is reduce the cost to consumers & use more carbon!! Abandon all efforts to save our planet; condem our kids/grandkids to catastrophic climate decisions, live for today; hell with tomorrow. WTF is that kind of reasoning going to do in the next 4 years in ON? We need the Feds to accelerate their Carbon plan & put these clowns with no real plan on notice. What say you?

Did Tesla confirm full refund even if VIN assigned ? I'm think to wait until the last min but I believe I will get my VIN within one week of so ...

I read somewhere a few pages ago that Elon Musk gave instructions to refund affected people even if vin was assigned...but not sure if this was official word or not. I believe it's been confirmed that refund before vin assigned is ok.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did offer refund even with vin. It's not like they won't be able to sell the car to someone else :)

Last edited: