Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys/gals,
I called the minister of transportation, John Yakabuski and got his assistant today.
I explained the situation to her, and how it was unfair from a consumer perspective to allow rebates to other EV's but not Tesla's.

She seemed unaware of the situation (which concerned me), but she agreed that I had a point. I asked if the minister was considering changing his mind, out of fairness, and allowing the rebate for Tesla purchases until sept 11.

She said that she is away next week, and would not let this question linger. Tomorrow afternoon she said she would have an answer for me directly from the minister.

I will update the group as to what she says. So before anyone cancels for good, lets hope that consumer fairness prevails and they adjust their stance accordingly.
Hello
Hey guys/gals,
I called the minister of transportation, John Yakabuski and got his assistant today.
I explained the situation to her, and how it was unfair from a consumer perspective to allow rebates to other EV's but not Tesla's.

She seemed unaware of the situation (which concerned me), but she agreed that I had a point. I asked if the minister was considering changing his mind, out of fairness, and allowing the rebate for Tesla purchases until sept 11.

She said that she is away next week, and would not let this question linger. Tomorrow afternoon she said she would have an answer for me directly from the minister.

I will update the group as to what she says. So before anyone cancels for good, lets hope that consumer fairness prevails and they adjust their stance accordingly.
Hello Ad123- any news to share?

You can't just take numbers from the tesla website... Real world is different :)

You need to factor in wall efficiency to those numbers (about 15% more)...ie, to put 14.73kwh of useable charge into the car the wall plug puts out about 16.9kwh..

Plus, once you add in taxes, transport and other fees (at least where I am) off peak charging averages out to around 12 c/kwh.

These numbers need further breakdown. I had a fairly good exploration with our local power company in Ontario regarding this. Efficiency is factored in by the power company when they total the net power energy used by adding to it an Adjustment Factor of 1.0421.
Regarding Delivery charge, there is a flat monthly charge of $28.78 every customer pays regardless of usage. The only usage based extra charges are: Distribution @ $0.0060 per kWh; Transmission Network & Connection @ $0.0133; and Market Service @ $0.0039 per kWh. So, the effective rate per kWh using off-peak of 6.5 cents/kWh = $ 0.0650+0.0060+0.0133+0.0039, which equals 8.82 cents per kWh. Grossing it up by the adjustment factor of 1.0421 brings it up to 8.912 cents per kWh. Add the GST taxes (there are no provincial taxes applied at the moment) and the final end-user rate becomes 9.357 cents per kWh, all-inclusive. The cost to fully charge a Tesla Model 3 LR battery would mean multiplying $0.09357/kWh with the actual time to pack in those 75 kilowatts, and the cost to charge a partially depleted battery would similarly be dictated by the SOC "bandwidth" or "window" as it takes less time to charge the battery somewhere between the range of 20-80% than it does to charge the first 20% and the last 20% of battery capacity. So, a potentially $7 "fill-up" to go 500 km in my Model 3, versus my ICE car's $75 fill-up to go a similar distance.

Last edited:
These numbers need further breakdown. I had a fairly good exploration with our local power company in Ontario regarding this. Efficiency is factored in by the power company when they total the net power energy used by adding to it an Adjustment Factor of 1.0421.
Regarding Delivery charge, there is a flat monthly charge of $28.78 every customer pays regardless of usage. The only usage based extra charges are: Distribution @ $0.0060 per kWh; Transmission Network & Connection @ $0.0133; and Market Service @ $0.0039 per kWh. So, the effective rate per kWh using off-peak of 6.5 cents/kWh = $ 0.0650+0.0060+0.0133+0.0039, which equals 8.82 cents per kWh. Grossing it up by the adjustment factor of 1.0421 brings it up to 8.912 cents per kWh. Add the GST taxes (there are no provincial taxes applied at the moment) and the final end-user rate becomes 9.357 cents per kWh, all-inclusive. The cost to fully charge a Tesla Model 3 LR battery would mean multiplying $0.09357/kWh with the actual time to pack in those 75 kilowatts, and the cost to charge a partially depleted battery would similarly be dictated by the SOC "bandwidth" or "window" as it takes less time to charge the battery somewhere between the range of 20-80% than it does to charge the first 20% and the last 20% of battery capacity. So, a potentially $7 "fill-up" to go 500 km in my Model 3, versus my ICE car's $75 fill-up to go a similar distance.

With Ontario hydro there is a delivery fee per KWH. The fee is the same all day, no time of use fee. That works out to about 6-7 cents per KWH with Ontario hydro on top of the electricity cost that is time of day based. Plus the other general fixed fees.

• Disagree
Reactions: ZsoZso
Depending on your off peak rate. Here in Ontario is 6.1 cents per kW your cost is approx 10 cents per kW including delivery and hst. Cost of an average ICE Vehicle at 10 ltr per 100km at the price of 1.30 per ltr is approx $75. This will give you 500km. So the effective cost of running your EV compared to ICE is 10%. $7.50 for 75 kW or $75 for 50 ltrs.

Both will give 500 km.

car manufacturers have huge investments in oil and gas companies. Economics and revenues are built on consumption. atleast my consumption of hydro will stay in Ontario. Our government here is the biggest shareholder.

Has anyone received a response from their local PC MPP after sending them an email?

None whatsoever. I've emailed 3 MPP's and several Ministers. Not a word of response from anyone.
Sad state of affairs - I'm holding out another few weeks then canceling if nothing comes up. As mentioned before, I'd rather wait for a Federal incentive than fall into some black hole in between.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abrew2014
None whatsoever. I've emailed 3 MPP's and several Ministers. Not a word of response from anyone.
Sad state of affairs - I'm holding out another few weeks then canceling if nothing comes up. As mentioned before, I'd rather wait for a Federal incentive than fall into some black hole in between.

If the Ontario rebate is gone beyond any hope of extension, then you have nothing to lose (other than a slightly longer wait) and everything to gain by sitting on your hands and seeing what develops federally.

We waited 2 years and change, a few weeks can't hurt for everyone who pulled the trigger last moment. There's that 407Million the feds pulled back from Ontario when Ford announced cancellation of C&T. Appeal for the Fed to use those monies with their own green incentive programs for Ontarian.

If Tesla is not a dealer then why does my online invoice show a $10 OMVIC fee?

Attachments

• 929CC618-1484-4580-86D7-09A40244670F.jpeg
    929CC618-1484-4580-86D7-09A40244670F.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: phigment
If Tesla is not a dealer then why does my online invoice show a $10 OMVIC fee?
Thanks for posting this. We were wondering what all the extra charges would be .

They are registered as a dealership. Ministry has advised they are a dealership. The issue we are facing is that we ordered directly from manufacturer not through a dealership.

But in my case (which some others are arguing as well) is that we ordered at the dealership. Not sure what will come out of this but waiting it out for now .

Reactions: adaptabl
Called the ombudsman’s office this morning.

Spent about 20 min on phone and they have the complete story. They will get back to me early next week with an answer. They understand our plight. I suggest calling with your story. Please make sure to reiterate your non refundable contract with Tesla. Tesla was on the eligible list prior to it ending on July 11. All other manufacturers are being accommodated. Prior to July 11 the MTO website did not say I had to purchase through a dealership to be eligible.

Think of this as middleman that will give us a direct voice.

Good luck
Mind if I ask what was the narrative you put forward? Im thinking to call as well and I want to make sure I'm on the same page.

thanks,

Thanks for posting this. We were wondering what all the extra charges would be .

They are registered as a dealership. Ministry has advised they are a dealership. The issue we are facing is that we ordered directly from manufacturer not through a dealership.

But in my case (which some others are arguing as well) is that we ordered at the dealership. Not sure what will come out of this but waiting it out for now .

You used the dealers computer to order from the manufacturer. You did not order from the dealer. Sorry

Emailed response from ministry of transportation office.

As you can appreciate, I work in John’s Constituency Office. I sent your concerns forward to the Minister’s Office identifying it was time sensitive.

I cannot officially respond to you however I can tell you from the conversations I have had to date, I believe there will not be any changes to the original announcement. The Ministry will definitely formally respond to you.

I told you I would try and get you a formal response as soon as possible Alex because of your situation. I will keep pushing for that however I feel certain that it will reflect the original announcement which did not include the Tesla.

Again, a formal response will be forthcoming from the Ministry of Transportation.

Wouldn’t it be kind of cool if the people we all gave $4200 to would come out and say something about the $14,000 that is no longer available to us. Even though they sold us the car advertising the cost being $14,000 lower and monthly payments adjusted accordingly.

We are at 9 days with no official statement, just twitter reply’s and one off conversations with people all telling conflicting information