Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody is saying that Doug Ford is related to Henry Ford. People are, rightfully, pointing out that they cancelled the program in a way that benefits traditional car dealerships twice over. First, they are ensuring that car dealerships have minimal financial strain from having to deal with cancelled orders. Second, going forward without this program in place fewer Teslas are going to get sold in Canada for the next year or so, until the more affordable models hit the market. (If that ever happens.)
With the first I completely agree, but the second will hurt traditional car dealers as well. I know that for the longest time it was in their interest to maintain the status quo and they were dragged into electric under duress. But, I think GM and Nissan dealers, anyways aren't cheering the removal of the rebate, the way it was removed for Tesla I'm sure they approve of.

Reactions: champion1955
With the first I completely agree, but the second will hurt traditional car dealers as well. I know that for the longest time it was in their interest to maintain the status quo and they were dragged into electric under duress. But, I think GM and Nissan dealers, anyways aren't cheering the removal of the rebate, the way it was removed for Tesla I'm sure they approve of.

The second point is beneficial to traditional car dealerships in the sense that, if Teslas were more affordable, more people would buy Model 3s over Leafs, Volts, or other cars. With the "cheapest" Tesla coming in at more than $70K, more than a few middle class families like my own are going to turn to cheaper alternatives sold by those traditional dealerships, be they hybrids or electrics.

The other big issue that I forgot to mention in my previous post is that Ford likes to claim that he is a champion of the middle class, and will fight for families, but two of his first major decisions hurt working or middle class families. At least in one case, it was done in favour of those car dealerships. Pretty disappointing, to be sure.

The second point is beneficial to traditional car dealerships in the sense that, if Teslas were more affordable, more people would buy Model 3s over Leafs, Volts, or other cars. With the "cheapest" Tesla coming in at more than $70K, more than a few middle class families like my own are going to turn to cheaper alternatives sold by those traditional dealerships, be they hybrids or electrics.

The other big issue that I forgot to mention in my previous post is that Ford likes to claim that he is a champion of the middle class, and will fight for families, but two of his first major decisions hurt working or middle class families. At least in one case, it was done in favour of those car dealerships. Pretty disappointing, to be sure.

But they are bringing back buck a beer (note sarcasm). It's painful how politicians can play this "look over there" game and trick people into things that inevitably make their lives more difficult ..and most of the time people defend them

But they are bringing back buck a beer (note sarcasm). It's painful how politicians can play this "look over there" game and trick people into things that inevitably make their lives more difficult ..and most of the time people defend them
Yup. I guess all parties do this, it all depends on which party you doing it to you lol. I wanted the PCs doing it after 15 years of the liberals doing it.

We argue this till the cow comes home.

For those who can/willing to afford the car without the incentive, all glories to them.

For me, it is a nice car, can I afford it, yes, since I'm paying cash. Do I need it so badly, not really. It is a very nice toy, but my ICE is also very nice. Therefore, I will just wait until a better EV comes along, and I know it will be a Tesla.

:) Good Luck

Reactions: dj_gon and T3l5aFan
There is something so unfair about this... I just saw this ad today

upload_2018-8-7_11-28-24.png

Ctv doing a story on ev sales at 6pm. Not sure if it's national or just Toronto.

Sounds like its just ontario. Heard the radio spot a few times this afternoon. Talking about the rush to order EVs before the rebate is over, and all the cancellations. Should be interesting....though like many others on here I doubt anything will be done to change the Tesla exclusion.....

My MPP sent me this email today:

I went across the aisle and spoke directly to the minister of transportation today, under whose purview this falls. He is knowledgeable about the issue but completely unsympathetic.

They have made a calculated decision to support dealers on the ground that those people invest money and resources into a business, but they don’t support Tesla because Tesla doesn’t use dealers and doesn’t make their cars in Canada. They have decided that the people like you who bought a Tesla would have done it regardless of the rebate and that if you don’t want the car now that there is no rebate, you should press Tesla to give you the deposit back. He said there is zero chance of their changing their minds. They literally don’t care about the broken contracts any more than they care about other contracts they have broken.

I’m so sorry to have bad news and I hope the Ombudsman has better news for you,

It’s so frustrating.....

I went across the aisle and spoke directly to the minister of transportation today, under whose purview this falls. He is knowledgeable about the issue but completely unsympathetic.

They have made a calculated decision to support dealers on the ground that those people invest money and resources into a business, but they don’t support Tesla because Tesla doesn’t use dealers and doesn’t make their cars in Canada. They have decided that the people like you who bought a Tesla would have done it regardless of the rebate and that if you don’t want the car now that there is no rebate, you should press Tesla to give you the deposit back. He said there is zero chance of their changing their minds. They literally don’t care about the broken contracts any more than they care about other contracts they have broken.

It’s so frustrating.....

Damn...well if this is true at least it's a definitive 'no'. Obviously gonna upset a lot of people here, but it was pretty obvious this is what they were doing right from the start....the most telling part is the 'calculated decision'....also they know tesla is offering (or at least was offering) full rebates, so in their mind they figure no one is out of pocket...just out of car.

And let's be honest, this is as much about 'saving' 14k * 2000-3000 model 3 (at least) as it is about helping out local dealers and screwing tesla. Model 3 is going to sell well regardless IMHO, less yes, but still way more than other EVs that still have rebates.

It's sad, but let's also realize that these are ''first world problems'. I grew up in a family that couldn't afford used cars with less than 150k km on them. I worked my ass off, had some lucky breaks with jobs coming at the right time, and consider myself very fortunate that I can (barely) afford this car without the rebate. I realize others may not be in the same boat, but if you could afford the 3 with a rebate you are still doing much better than most of the country by being able to afford a car pushing 60k after rebate and tax as a base offering.

I have a co worker who had friend of 30 years pass from a sudden heart attack 10 days ago...things like that put our rebate issue into real perspective.....

It’s so frustrating.....

...and that is that. I do believe it is finally over. This indicates that it is a cabinet-level decision, meaning there’s nothing the Ombudsman can do.

Well, folks, we tried.

Just cancelled my order :(

Reactions: adaptabl
Ctv doing a story on ev sales at 6pm. Not sure if it's national or just Toronto.

Sounds like its just ontario. Heard the radio spot a few times this afternoon. Talking about the rush to order EVs before the rebate is over, and all the cancellations. Should be interesting....though like many others on here I doubt anything will be done to change the Tesla exclusion.....

Hopefully they will post the video up later for those of us who miss it

Here's a link to the story...nothing new really. 2 minutes long, and basically treats it as 'nothing can be done now, and we expect EV sales to decline'....

Sales of electric vehicles expected to drop

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
...and that is that. I do believe it is finally over. This indicates that it is a cabinet-level decision, meaning there’s nothing the Ombudsman can do.

Well, folks, we tried.

Just cancelled my order :(

I believe you're right, but I'm not sure how that makes certain that it's a cabinet-level decision. If it was that cut and dry, you'd think by now that the Ombudsman would get back to us with an answer. So either the MTO/MFO are basically ignoring them/stalling because they're trying to screw over people who are withholding cancellations with the hopes that the Ombudsman can do something, OR the MTO/MFO are ignoring them/stalling because they would have to comply and include Tesla in the rebate, and they're trying to get as many people to cancel ahead of that as possible.

Disclaimer, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

• Funny
Reactions: champion1955
I believe you're right, but I'm not sure how that makes certain that it's a cabinet-level decision. If it was that cut and dry, you'd think by now that the Ombudsman would get back to us with an answer. So either the MTO/MFO are basically ignoring them/stalling because they're trying to screw over people who are withholding cancellations with the hopes that the Ombudsman can do something, OR the MTO/MFO are ignoring them/stalling because they would have to comply and include Tesla in the rebate, and they're trying to get as many people to cancel ahead of that as possible.

Disclaimer, I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Truth is we are all speculating and have theories. I also have thought of the fact that they may be trying to get lots of people to cancel so the payout is less. But it's a gamble either way you look at it. The other question is can Tesla get us our cars before September 10. I still have no VIN :( Any idea how long from VIN to delivery?