TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

P100D in the works!!! :)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by cdub, Mar 4, 2016.

1. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner

2. napabill

napabill Active Member

3. BertL

BertL Active Member

Super news. Range is always a great thing! Just hope Tesla has Rated Range figured out and properly reporting with the new battery size. They have not yet got it right for some of us with the 90kWh batteries introduced last Fall, so we'll see how it goes for the next generation. ;)

4. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

Don't worry... It would be another 5-10K more probably. As I recall to go from 85 to 90 it was another 3K.

5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

At what point will this drive the first gen S60 with 8yr 125k mile warranty with 50k+ miles price into the high $20k range?

6. gene

gene Active Member

No worries, I have an early 2013 S85 and I do a lot of really long road trips, 600+ miles a day, your 90 will be plenty.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I don't suppose you noticed napabill's signature ... "P-83 (85KW) (Delivered 11/29/12), CLASSIC BROWN!". :) He's driven it everywhere.

8. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Excellent! Hopefully this helps stretch the supercharger taper a bit longer. Maybe 150 miles of charge in 20 minutes from 2%-50%???

9. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Me too. Don't worry about that! We've got the latest and greatest at the time. I had actually ordered an 85D, but upgraded. Now, I'm REALLY glad I did. The 85 is going the way of the dinosaurs! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Very true. Maybe they'll get the software issues straightened out for the 90 before they release the 100s!

10. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

I wonder whether the P100D pack has lower internal resistance or an improvement in some other parameter that would FINALLY allow the car to run the quarter in 10.9 as promised long ago!

11. Evee

Evee Member

100kwh might not even be enough to max out the motors. Either way this will provide more range and make the car EVEN FASTER!!!!

12. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

A 100 kW pack is not going to allow the P90Ds with Ludicrous to run a 10.9 quarter mile, and THAT is what was promised.

13. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

Good point!

14. AndY1

AndY1 Member

I wish Tesla would start to produce cars that are cheaper, not the ones, that are more and more expensive.

• Dislike x 1
  15. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

I think they will make 90kWh as a standard for $85k. And, as an option, upgrade to 100kWh for $5-6k

16. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

I would absolutely look to upgrade to a 100kw/hr battery. Would not surprise me if a new battery is launched at Gigafactory start up.

17. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Makes a lot of sense.

18. Lex

Lex Member

The high-end ones allow the more affordable ones, it's their stated model and it seems to be working really well.

As others have suggested range may be one way Tesla differentiates the "economy" Model 3 from the "premium" Model S.

Not that it's a guarantee it will be offered but it seems technically possible so it's mind blowing that my 9 month old 70 may soon be able to get a 30% pack upgrade option. Wow.

That's just exciting to me. Even if I had a 90 on order I'd say this is good news (and as a Tesla owner I've quickly learned that the new tech can literally come daily and as time goes on much of it won't be for my own car but there's no reason to be disappointed as my car is still a fine car).

Rumours of an AP2.0 sensor suite that may not be offered to existing AP owners is more of a shock to me, as that would likely mean our current AP is about all we'll ever get once the developers all switch to the new toys.

Though I do have to admit to being a bit fearful of a possible body refresh, but it does have the benefit of making the current MS a classic with a very limited run.

19. mhan00

mhan00 Member

Huh, nice. I hope the leak doesn't kill current Model S sales too much due to the Osbourne effect. I wonder if this was something they were planning to announce at the upcoming Model 3 reveal?

20. dc_h

dc_h Member

Step 1, make the 100 the new top option. Step 2 in 6 months, update the 70 to 75, with no price increase, and then drop the 90. From there, perhaps no S/X battery updates until after the Model 3 is being produced at a 100k annual rate or more, which will hopefully be mid-2018.