Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pending firmware update: ? Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woohoooo!! A twofer! :)
IMG_1533.PNG

Yea, happened to me once. I usually get the update within a day when they come out. One time my car was in service center for a few weeks, and two releases came out, but my car only got the first update.

After I got the car back and I still didn't get the 2nd update. Waited 2 weeks and still got nothing. After a reboot, I got the update within a couple of hours.

Got the update. So maybe I'm doing it wrong. I enabled summon and can summon from the app. Try to do it from the keyfob and no go.

Am I doing it wrong?
Hold the center until hazards on. Then press forward or back. But so far holding does nothing.

Did you disable "Continuous Press"? I did and summon worked from the fob just as you described: press and hold center until hazard lights starts flashing, then press (not hold) frunk button to go forward, or lifgate to move backward.

Waiting on mine, but from the information here, it really does look like they re-numbered another minor update as the 8.1 update to stick to atleast this date commitment.

Oh well, we continue to wait...

I wouldn't call high speed autosteer a "minor update"

So a triple press of the "T" gives you a sketch pad? No wonder the update is not complete, delayed, and has not given us HW1 folks what we were promised in 2014. Software engineers wasting their time. Childish, like a lot of the stuff coming from Elon.

You must be a lot of fun. Yeah im sure the engineers dedicated months and months developing a sketch pad... :| people complain about easter eggs we probably wont be getting any in the future. Geesh why can't anyone enjoy their car these days

I wouldn't call high speed autosteer a "minor update"

You must be a lot of fun. Yeah im sure the engineers dedicated months and months developing a sketch pad... :| people complain about easter eggs we probably wont be getting any in the future. Geesh why can't anyone enjoy their car these days

Maybe best to not feed the trolls. They seem to thrive on attention. (I could make a political comparison...but I won't). :)

Well, truth be told, we were promised a sort of overhaul - a new kernel, new browser, UI fixes to 8.0, AP1 ramp to ramp, etc. as "8.1" in December 2016. Instead we got, in March 2017, an AP2 update seeking AP1 parity with a couple of minor features for the rest and an easter egg packaged as "8.1".

This was not a big day forward in terms on functionality compared to here AP1 was at 8.0. AP2 is still playing catch up to AP1 and nothing much else is new.

Elon overpromised and underdelivered again.

I got the 8.1 update early yesterday morning, installed it yesterday afternnon, and used the auto steer to 70 mph tonight. It took about 10 miles or so to calibrate (very sketchy, and it cancelled itself a lot), but once it stabilized, it worked great for the remaining 30+ miles of my drive home. Auto lane change worked flawlessly - used it 6 or 7 times without issue. Love being able to adjust my headrests without adjusting my seat - great additional feature. Haven't set up or tried the Summon feature yet, or the additional voice commands, navigation aids, or the new streaming radio features.

Mine is still not letting me go above 55MPH, says it needs further calibration. I drove maybe 8-10 miles on the freeway so far at night, probably needs a few more miles.

I did try out Summon and was amazed! I got home from the office, pulled into the driveway, double tapped the P stalk then watched my car pull into the garage and then close the garage or behind it. Amazeballs!

What really surprised me is that the car actually makes left and right adjustments, I thought all it would do is pull straight in or straight out, not that it would make side to side adjustments.