Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Boost Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the LR AWD Y with the boost will still be a few tenths slower than a Performance Y.

I've never been a fan of 0-60. It's an antiquated metric since it doesn't really capture modern day performance. It's more about grip, advantage to AWD vehicles, and other factors. Most US magazines also report it with a 1ft rollout to mimic the lasers you'd find at the Christmas tree at a drag strip. Tesla used this for marketing their Performance models, which have the 1ft rollout. The non-performance models don't list the rollout so it makes the acceleration gap look larger than it is.

thanks again for posting your times.

i already test drove a performance y without pup
and scheduled a test drive for LR AWD and performance with PUP. no place around me has the LR AWD with boost

leaning towards performance model at this moment. we will see how harsh the ride is with a lowered suspension on sunday

I generally don't accelerate hard (Bay Area traffic) and the accelerator pedal seems the same to me. I already thought the non-boost acceleration in the MY was incredible. It's only gotten better with boost, but I'm using it only for <5s at a time.

I've had no issues controlling my car with or without boost.
Creeping around slowly and parking is not a problem with or without boost.
Driving in traffic is not a problem with or without boost.
I use autopilot a lot.

Based on many reports here, the PB makes things more responsive and "snappy" all around. Is that not what you're experiencing?

So I took the plunge and as many have said, it’s a big upgrade. Much quicker and responsive across the range - sport mode for sure, no mistaking it. :D

Edit: now really glad I didn’t spend the extra for the performance. I don’t like the 21’s and don’t feel I’m missing out on speed one bit, all I’ll ever need...

Last edited:
So I took the plunge and as many have said, it’s a big upgrade. Much quicker and responsive across the range - sport mode for sure, no mistaking it. :D

Edit: now really glad I didn’t spend the extra for the performance. I don’t like the 21’s and don’t feel I’m missing out on speed one bit, all I’ll ever need...
For awhile I was regretting getting FSD instead of performance, not anymore. I think the performance boost is a perfect balance. Now that they announced they announced bird's eye view will be FSD feature, plus the rewrite update is coming soon. I think I made the right decision.

For awhile I was regretting getting FSD instead of performance, not anymore. I think the performance boost is a perfect balance. Now that they announced they announced bird's eye view will be FSD feature, plus the rewrite update is coming soon. I think I made the right decision.
Agreed! I really didn't like the performance package, figured the boost would be along before long. And I had FSD on my M3 and now my MY. Lot's of room for improvement but I plan on keeping this for many years and am betting on future value - love getting updates. Boost is the icing on the cake :).

Reactions: mark95476
This Saturday I was averaging 212 Wh/mi in slow 55mph freeways and stop and go urban traffic. Lots of places are still closed, but traffic is getting back to more normal. I was on autopilot and the constant stop and go was hurting efficiency.

I've been driving around with the boost upgrade but not hammering it every chance I get. Current wh/mi is 229, so for those wondering if it'll decrease your range, it shouldn't as long as you drive efficiently.

Attachments

• MY_Consumption_Sat.png
    MY_Consumption_Sat.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
Thanks to all who are posting recent efficiency numbers wh/mi. I was actually thinking how does acceleration boost affect range. I'm planning (in 3-5 years) to buy a Y for the family but deciding LRAWD + boost or a P. Wife wont push it so a P is wasted but I love the squat look of the P and the acceleration of sub 4. I currently drive a stealth 3 at a $2k upgrade so I lucked out.

Thanks to all who are posting recent efficiency numbers wh/mi. I was actually thinking how does acceleration boost affect range. I'm planning (in 3-5 years) to buy a Y for the family but deciding LRAWD + boost or a P. Wife wont push it so a P is wasted but I love the squat look of the P and the acceleration of sub 4. I currently drive a stealth 3 at a $2k upgrade so I lucked out.
I suspect that 3-5 years from now we may well be talking about a completely different Y.

Add me to the list of people $2000 poorer today. Also add me to the list of people that thinks it is a huge improvement.

That will be me tomorrow, haha!! Friday/Saturday are wide open for me this week, and I wanted two solid days to play while being within the return window. Not that I plan to return it...just in case, you understand (haha!!)

Can't wait to mash the pedal!!

That will be me tomorrow, haha!! Friday/Saturday are wide open for me this week, and I wanted two solid days to play while being within the return window. Not that I plan to return it...just in case, you understand (haha!!)

Can't wait to mash the pedal!!
I’m pretty convinced I’ll keep this but I am curious...if you were to “return” it, is it available again for purchase? I know it can only be “returned” once, which makes me think it will be available again.