Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] ELDA users, what is your experience? (Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance)

As an owner on 2019.16.x, what is your experience with ELDA?

• I don't have enough miles to be fair. I'll change my vote later.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Haven't noticed it do anything at all

Votes: 58 31.5%
  • It has unsafely tried to correct my steering

Votes: 55 29.9%
  • It has safely corrected my poor steering

Votes: 49 26.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tested it and you are right. Never noticed that because I had no reason to disable EAB. It never went off for me even though I got the Forward Collision Warning a few times. If ELDA was as conservative about intervening in my controls I wouldn't have a problem with it.
"There's something straight in front of me" is a lot easier problem to solve for than "there's something we're sort of moving sideways in the general direction of".

"There's something straight in front of me" is a lot easier problem to solve for than "there's something we're sort of moving sideways in the general direction of".

That is exactly the sensation I had today when mine kicked in. I was moving far to the right part of the lane to avoid a pothole, and I think the car thought we would sideswipe the curb and tried to correct my position in the lane and chimed super loud. Definitely startling experience and frustrating it just appeared out of nowhere without turning on the setting. Such is Tesla life though it appears.

Reactions: SammichLover
Today, I was in a blind spot of a car tailgating another driver on Hwy 99 (CA) for just a few seconds. That car, to my left, tried to change lanes into me, as that driver did not know I was there to his right. My lane to the right was clear and I was able to move over in time. Or did my 2018 Tesla M3 change lanes before I did? Seemed to all happen in a half of a second. The important thing is that there was no accident.

I do NOT have autopilot and my Tesla is set at all the defaults.

How is the ELDA supposed to work in that situation? If I were forced to stay in the middle of the lane there would have been a serious accident.

-Don- Auburn, CA

i had ELDA activate 4 times now in the last 4 days. Once i was going towards a curb (had seen it, was correcting it, was just cutting it a bit close), and it corrected safely. The other 3 times i got the warning sounds, and the message that ELDA had prevented me from crashing, but i had my hands on the wheel the whole time, there was nothing to avoid, and i also didnt feel any torque on the wheel. It just gave me a little jumpscare with the sounds.

I was driving down two lane country road at about 30 mph and wandered over the solid line on right edge of road. ELDA activated and pulled me back. It's the first I knew of it. It did it's job. Doesn't seem to activate drifting over dashed lines within roadway.

I need to add an asterisk to my vote. I had a really annoying ELDA trigger on rural roads down in Delaware, borderline dangerous.
So I come back to the leafy suburbs of Philly and no problems whatsoever. I had forced a reboot at some point when I got back, so I'm wondering if that reset or re-calibrated? Seems unlikely they could change anything like that without an software update..
Last night I tried to trigger it by going way over a (lightly painted but still visible) double yellow line and it didn't do anything! Today I'm going back down to Delaware, and will see what might have been a fluke. Very curious, indeed.
[edit] I see from other posts that it doesn't react to the center lines the same way, and my occurrences were from hugging the side - so I expect it to still happen today, as I'm hugging the right side trying to avoid the road ruts from Amish horse and buggies..

We live up a relatively narrow road and this feature has consistently steered me dangerously close to oncoming traffic while I'm trying to hug the side of the road for maximum space between passing vehicles. The worst part is having to remember to disable it every single time I drive.

Reactions: Msjulie
It was a very unwelcome addition for me. It is a fact of life here that potholes go a long time before being fixed, and as I weave through them in some locations it will freak out and try to make me drive into them. It also tried to push me into the left turn lane at an intersection once.

On a 1000 mile road trip on mostly 2-lane Interstate highway ELDA would try to steer the car back to the center of the lane whenever I moved to the left side of the left lane to pass a semi-truck or other large vehicle. It actually forced the car CLOSER to the truck I was passing rather than away. This happened multiple times. I finally shut it off because it was dangerous, but it defaults back to on whenever you shut off the car.

This feature is not ready for prime time. Hope it gets updated or disabled soon.

I've had it activate once - I didn't use a turn signal as I "smoothed out" the curve to enter a left-hand-turn lane. The car thought I was drifting aimlessly across the street's center line - which, I guess I was - and tried to bounce me out alongside warning noises.

It didn't cause any danger, and I don't fault the system for triggering in the situation - but a better AI might see that the car was smoothly and safely entering a new turn lane even if it briefly touched the solid double line just before the new lane began to form.

I moved to the left side of the left lane to pass a semi-truck or other large vehicle. It actually forced the car CLOSER to the truck I was passing rather than away. This happened multiple times. I finally shut it off because it was dangerous, but it defaults back to on whenever you shut off the car.

It sounds from this like you're one of the majority of drivers who are a bit afraid to drive alongside large vehicles. I've seen this cause a serious accident; a car shying away from a tractor-trailer caught a bit of the central barrier and then lost control, and actually got clipped by the truck's rear wheels. It would have been far safer to just stay centered in the lane.

You may not like that the car is putting you into the center of your lane even if there's a truck alongside, but you may be wrong about whether or not it's "dangerous" to do so.

Also, even if you feel safer by edging your lane, you also significantly increase your risk of picking up a nail, screw, or other road debris than can puncture a tire - these things tend to accumulate at the edges of roads, and riding out can hit them.

I'm on 2019.20.1 now but even on this build I never had a single instance where my car steered in any way that was invasive or inappropriate.

I've had all safety options turned on full time and with over 1500 miles (highway and rural) I've had no issues.
It should be noted that I am vigilant about using my turn signal.

It sounds from this like you're one of the majority of drivers who are a bit afraid to drive alongside large vehicles. I've seen this cause a serious accident; a car shying away from a tractor-trailer caught a bit of the central barrier and then lost control, and actually got clipped by the truck's rear wheels. It would have been far safer to just stay centered in the lane.

Not afraid to drive in the center of the lane at all. From my experience on this trip (rural Interstates in MD, NY and PA) truck drivers are far more distracted than they used to be weaving back and forth in and out of their lane. Moving to the left about a foot from center but still well within the left lane line gives you an extra safety margin in case the truck starts to veer. Whatever the reason, driving closer to the left lane line should not trigger a safety feature that forces the car to abruptly steer towards a truck in the right lane while you're passing it. The first time this happened it took me by surprise and I came very close to hitting the truck before I could regain control. It only engages when passing another large vehicle. It doesn't trigger in normal driving in the same place (left of center) in the lane.

It's a pain to disable every time you start the car so I hope they include the ability to permanently disable it or fix it so it works as intended.

Didn’t vote as there seems to be too much confusion and not enough options.

It’s both invasive, and effective. Depends on the time.

A lot of curving intersections around where I live, All systems have all freaked out.

Trying to do my part adding information to the database....

Whatever the reason, driving closer to the left lane line should not trigger a safety feature that forces the car to abruptly steer towards a truck in the right lane while you're passing it. The first time this happened it took me by surprise and I came very close to hitting the truck before I could regain control. It only engages when passing another large vehicle. It doesn't trigger in normal driving in the same place (left of center) in the lane.

This really doesn't sound right. Are you sure you're wording this properly?

I hope that this is not too off topic.

On day four or five of ownership, the car ahead of me got into the left turn lane and slowed down. I knew all was well. But I, foolishly, had AP on while driving this residential street. I got the loud double beep, braking and a sharp evasive tug on my steering wheel. My Model 3 darted maybe one foot to the right. OMFG

It’s hard to put that feeling into words, but the evasive maneuver was so sudden, so foreign and so frightening that I didn’t use AP for a couple of days. Nobody has ever wrested control of my car from me. I think that adoption of lane departure avoidance by drivers will be slow. You need a little better NN refinement to make it more specific.

Yes, I did as well as many other weirdnesses. Decided to not buy AP or FSB, thank god it was only a trial.

I hope that this is not too off topic.

On day four or five of ownership, the car ahead of me got into the left turn lane and slowed down. I knew all was well. But I, foolishly, had AP on while driving this residential street. I got the loud double beep, braking and a sharp evasive tug on my steering wheel. My Model 3 darted maybe one foot to the right. OMFG

It’s hard to put that feeling into words, but the evasive maneuver was so sudden, so foreign and so frightening that I didn’t use AP for a couple of days. Nobody has ever wrested control of my car from me. I think that adoption of lane departure avoidance by drivers will be slow. You need a little better NN refinement to make it more specific.
That doesn't sound "off topic". I don't think AP does evasion like that? I've never seen anything like that from AP, and the overwhelming majority of my miles are on AP in nearly all driving environments. If anything AP is outright bullheaded about holding what it asserts in the center of the lane.

Yes, I did as well as many other weirdnesses. Decided to not buy AP or FSB, thank god it was only a trial.
When did this happen, do you recall what the software version was? I've never seen AP take "evasive" action, other than slowing when something gets in the way (or at least it perceives something getting in the way).

ELDA on the other hand, that's tried to do something like that....until I turned it off. Well it did do it once even after it was turned off, but that's been a number of patches back now.