Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

• No

Votes: 269 49.4%
  • Yes, once

Votes: 213 39.2%
  • Yes, more than once

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, difficult to say. At least I haven't seen any stories on the Norwegian Tesla forum that any owners here in Norway have had near-annual failures.

In fact, I have seen very few threads on the matter - of course there have been some - but taking in to the account the numbers of Model S and X here now surprisingly few.
As per today, there are 16765 Model S and 6899 Model X registered in Norway.
I have been reading the forum regularly since 2013, and not noticed this was an issue until it happened to me and started searching for it.

Maybe the cold climate we have is good for the 12V battery ?
I live in Stavanger on the west coast, and it seldom get very cold or very hot.

Many battery replacements on my 2013 S85 over the years. Most recent: December 2017, then March 2018.

New 2018 Model X 100D: Replace 12V Battery error in the first week of ownership. My local Service Center is out of stock and looking to a Service Center further afield for one.

I had a Takata airbag replacement this week and during the repair (mobile service at my home) the tech noticed the replace battery warning light was on. This will be the 3rd battery in about 5 years and 105K miles. I got about 2 years out of the last one. Interestingly, the tech said Tesla is using a new tech in these now, called it a carbon nano battery instead of the exide ones they've been using. Cost was $150 plus $70 labor. I chatted with the tech about how I considered doing the swap myself but it looked like a pain to change these on the older generation cars like mine. He agreed and also noted that with the new battery type, there had to be a modification to the charging algorithm so you couldn't just swap in the new type battery yourself without some input/setup from Tesla.

Part number:
Battery, 12V, DCS33-UNCR, MS (1083774- 1 150.00 00-A)

Car delivered 5/28/2015,12v battery replaced 6/16/2018, just short of 3 years. This is a typical battery life for my cars in Houston, possibly because the air conditioning is always on. The battery was replaced by a mobile Tesla mechanic who came to my house, covered under 4year warranty.