Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started a thread over on the TM forum asking if one could be loyal to TM/mission statement and still offer constructive criticism. I think one can...and Dirk is one of them, IMO.

I think not being critical when criticism is warranted is disloyal to the mission statement. Tesla needs feedback. They goofed when they pulled the 72A charger and they got called out on it.

Tesla needs to learn from those of us who will buy cars regardless what the faults are so they can fix them.

Dirk, I appreciate your response to my post, and my apologies if I have missed seeing your more positive posts. Glad to know that deep down you are a Tesla fan.

Amongst my friends there is an oft repeated rule to never allow the topic to drift towards cars or worse, Tesla. Apparently I'm unbearable and will go on for hours about what an amazing car the Model S is.

Reading this makes me weep.
"especially with so many specifics that are not known, yet"
Am I the only one who finds this just dumbfounding? They don't know the specifics of the car that they make. They can't have the ordering website answer many of the most basic questions. There still is an option (the 72A charger) hidden behind a ridiculous easter egg where you need to type in 'charger' in order to see the option. Tesla has a long way to go.

No, you are not - I went on a short rant over on the Wiki thread (#5 and #17) about the same topic.

Reading this makes me weep.
"especially with so many specifics that are not known, yet"
Am I the only one who finds this just dumbfounding? They don't know the specifics of the car that they make. They can't have the ordering website answer many of the most basic questions. There still is an option (the 72A charger) hidden behind a ridiculous easter egg where you need to type in 'charger' in order to see the option. Tesla has a long way to go.

At this point there are enough people who are willing to order without having answers to these questions that Tesla doesn't really need to provide them. They have enough orders to keep the factory busy for now, and once the answers are available many more orders will come in. For me I would have liked to sit in the vehicle, test drive it, and know what the ongoing maintenance costs would be. But despite not having that information I didn't want to take the chance of delaying delivery by waiting to confirm. The answers wouldn't really change my configuration any with the slight possible exception of the premium upgrades package.

Amongst my friends there is an oft repeated rule to never allow the topic to drift towards cars or worse, Tesla. Apparently I'm unbearable and will go on for hours about what an amazing car the Model S is.

Oh my!! I am the SAME exactly. I go on and on... I have the passion, and it's evident. As long as people know it's genuine, with no personal gain (other than the whole "save the earth thing" haha), I think it's tolerated well-ish!

I'd guess a bunch of people wouldn't call/email. Plus most of the questions are going to be the same so a FAQ solves that problem quickly. Perhaps its for the people who aren't up to speed via TMC etc?

Given the HUGE amount of posts here where people write: "I called my DS for an update and I found out....", I get the impression that many of the people here are constantly calling and emailing tesla (DS or other). And if the super knowledgeable people here still have so many questions for the company, just imagine how besieged those folks would be if they opened the lines to the people who don't dig for info on the forum first! (I am imagining in my mind the Walmart tramplings from Black Fridays....)

They opened Canadian Sigs. They will be plenty busy with North America for a while, my guess is Europe in Q2 and APAC in Q3.

I agree.

It would have been too good to be true.

OTOH what's wrong with letting reservation holders like me (I reserved on 7/13/2012) play with the configurator?

The way I rationalise it, is that we are getting much more refined cars, because Tesla will have about 1/2 year fo experience building them. I was very happy to see the progress going from VIN 18968 to 29134 on the S.

I agree.

It would have been too good to be true.

OTOH what's wrong with letting reservation holders like me (I reserved on 7/13/2012) play with the configurator?

The way I rationalise it, is that we are getting much more refined cars, because Tesla will have about 1/2 year fo experience building them. I was very happy to see the progress going from VIN 18968 to 29134 on the S.
Nice rationalization. :) It may be that Tesla doesn't want to lock in Euro/Pound pricing yet if other issues will prevent them from building the cars for Europe in a timely manner. The Design Studio has pricing baked into it. So they may want to be sure they have whatever regulatory issues in place in Europe for a new model so they'll be able to price the cars properly, then build and deliver the cars fairly quickly after orders are placed. Just a guess on my part.

Wouldn't they also want the Netherlands plants to be able to assemble the Model X for Europe? That would seem to be much less costly than shipping finished cars over the Atlantic (logistically and tax-wise). I would imagine they're all very busy in Tilburg right now finishing up Model S cars for Denmark.

But I'm guessing mid to late Q1 for Euro Sigs and shortly after that for production.

Given the HUGE amount of posts here where people write: "I called my DS for an update and I found out....", I get the impression that many of the people here are constantly calling and emailing tesla (DS or other). And if the super knowledgeable people here still have so many questions for the company, just imagine how besieged those folks would be if they opened the lines to the people who don't dig for info on the forum first! (I am imagining in my mind the Walmart tramplings from Black Fridays....)
This is my WAG why they have not opened up the configurator to all. Because of lack of info they are afraid everyone will overwhelm the DS's and keep them from doing what they need to do to get the cars they have made delivered.

Hopefully in the second week of January they will open the flood gates.

I think this is a huge missed oppty for Tesla--letting people play with the configurator and save configs would give them additional insight which options are popular etc and provide additional forecast data for their supply chain folks.

I think this is a huge missed oppty for Tesla--letting people play with the configurator and save configs would give them additional insight which options are popular etc and provide additional forecast data for their supply chain folks.
Actually, those of use who DO have access to the configurator CANNOT SAVE CONFIGS! There is no such option (I think there was with the Model S) on the X configuration. It resets every time.

All the Canadian Signature holders were invited this Monday 28th Dec. (RES. Seq #71). have to see who will be invited on 4th January Monday... May be EUROPE signatures:biggrin: if they want to finish off with the Signatures worldwide....Good Luck in 2016.
Tesla wrote they hope to invite all reservation holders to configure by end of 2015.

Was I too optimistic to imply all includes Europe?