Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Project Palladium" = big refresh to Model S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must admit I'm now in a right old quandary. I've recently ordered a custom S LR which I'd expect to be delivered sometime in September. It'll deliver quite a few improvements to my current S75D AP2 MCU1 car, which has been faultless.

I've been watching the price/spec changes over the last 12 months or so, and with Tesla now offering in house lease deals on very good terms the numbers stack up nicely. I'm also close to running out of warranty although my current deal runs until March 21.

I don't need any extra range nor performance and much prefer the portrait screen and instrument cluster to the 3/Y set up, so if an interior refresh included 3/Y approach I'd be disappointed.

I tend to agree that any announcement is likely to be late enough in the quarter not to wreck Q3, and I'd hate for the refresh to also come with a $10k price hike. I suppose I could try and push delivery right to the end of Sept and cancel if the grass looks greener.

I agree with you. I think the current base Model S is a very good value and also plan on leasing. If there is an updated Model S and it does have a large price hike, then that would not be as an appealing to me. Tough one to figure out, just like the current stock market. LOL

Reactions: emulajavi and DJP31
Here’s my guess:

Long Range Plus will remain largely unchanged and at the same price point.

A new Performance/Premium model will be offered with extended range/performance/options and will be priced above today’s performance model. It will contain features most people want and it will be used to push buyers towards the more expense Performance/Premium model.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I must admit I'm now in a right old quandary. I've recently ordered a custom S LR which I'd expect to be delivered sometime in September. It'll deliver quite a few improvements to my current S75D AP2 MCU1 car, which has been faultless.

I've been watching the price/spec changes over the last 12 months or so, and with Tesla now offering in house lease deals on very good terms the numbers stack up nicely. I'm also close to running out of warranty although my current deal runs until March 21.

I don't need any extra range nor performance and much prefer the portrait screen and instrument cluster to the 3/Y set up, so if an interior refresh included 3/Y approach I'd be disappointed.

I tend to agree that any announcement is likely to be late enough in the quarter not to wreck Q3, and I'd hate for the refresh to also come with a $10k price hike. I suppose I could try and push delivery right to the end of Sept and cancel if the grass looks greener.

Agreed. The 3/Y Landscape screen and vents do not belong in anything but a "cheap" car. I'm not against the landscape orientation, more the floating screen look as opposed to the integrated dash look. Against a civic, it's fine. Against something higher end, it's not.

In my mind, the 3/Y should be reliable, good, but cheap cars. The S/X should be the expensive premium cars. Better suspension, better interiors, longer range and faster.

One easy way to differentiate them too would be to roll out software first on the S/X before it comes to the 3/Y.

Is anyone expecting these new versions to have 500+ miles of range? I thought that was the whole point of the tri-motor configuration - pushing the envelope on both performance and range.

No, the tri-motor configuration is all about performance. The range increase is a side-effect of the additional batteries needed to achieve that performance.

Agreed. The 3/Y Landscape screen and vents do not belong in anything but a "cheap" car. I'm not against the landscape orientation, more the floating screen look as opposed to the integrated dash look. Against a civic, it's fine. Against something higher end, it's not.

I can’t believe nobody told this to basically every other luxury automaker in existence that currently sells cars with screens stuck on to or popping up from the dash.

Electrek has discovered a new Tesla secret project called “Palladium,” and it involves some important updates to the Model S and Model X.

The project involves building new production lines for updated versions of the Model S and Model X.

According to people familiar with the matter, the new Palladium update is going to involve new battery modules and drive units that are going to serve as the basis of the upcoming “Plaid” version of Model S and Model X.

Another source told Electrek that it involves more than the powertrain, and one employee even referred to a new “Model S and Model X Palladium Body” — meaning that the new version of the vehicles will have a different body.

Tesla secret project Palladium: new Model S and Model X are coming

Sounds like Tesla is secretly working on a major refresh on the Model S/X.

I have been plugging a number of items I would expect in a refreshed C and S:
Tesla Plaid Speculation.jpg

Lot of new ideas have come along since I posted the last year.

This should be interesting. I'm in the minority, and I also realize this is not going to happen, but I'd love to see the X updated without the falcon wing doors. Mainly, though, I'm interested in longer range. Unfortunately, I'll probably have upgraded before the announcement and before production begins.

I'm just like you on this one! I'd love to see a better looking X without the stupid falcon doors. Will need a bigger car (have the Raven S) within the next couple of years or so, so perhaps this will be perfect timing to upgrade!