Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charging Etiquette - Unplugging Teslas from J1772s

Unplug Teslas when all EVSEs are full?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The beginning of the end of common sense and decency and civilized behavior, in action.

Remember we don't have any moral authority to point fingers at ICE cars when they park... because they have every right to park wherever they want, unless the sign board says otherwise.

No, you're wrong. Short of having perhaps the world's most complicated flow sheet posted at each pubic charger explaining who gets priority over who and then having some magical way to prove someone is following this massively complicated flow sheet there is only one way to maintain order. First come, first serve. Or... DO NOT touch another person's vehicle while charging. Those are the only rules that can be universally followed and enforced.

However, if you pull up to a public charger and I'm nearby and you want to politely approach me and plead your case for why you have priority over me to use the charger I will give you the courtesy of hearing you out. If you have a good case I will move my car and allow you to take my place. In this case, you give ME the option to use use common sense and demonstrate civilized behavior. Unplugging me and assuming your needs are greater than mine is not using common sense and is not being civilized my friend. You're just being a colossal JERK OFF.

My financial inability to buy a Tesla is due to me making poor choices in my life? really? you say that with a straight face?

Apologies for any misunderstanding... You poor choice was buying a vehicle that didn't meet your daily driving habit needs or being an early adopter to EVs and not having the foresight to know that your public charging options are limited and may significantly inconvenience you from time to time.

There are thousands of vehicle options out there. Nobody forced you to buy an EV. You made that choice. Therefore, you must be prepared to deal with the benefits and down sides.

You don't buy a Honda Civic if you're a construction worker and then complain about not being able to haul drywall and 2x4s.

I'm curious why you feel Tesla owners are "cheap skates" for using the company provided benefit of free charging for EV owners, but Leaf owners not?

It all come down to intent and spirit of the perk being provided.

For you it might be a way of saving a few pennies.

For me the that perk is provided to give a range-anxiety stress free commute to work and back. So that more folks would be encouraged to drive an EV and range anxiety would not be used as an excuse not to buy an EV. A means of encouraging to a more sustainable future for all of us.

Thats the difference in the way we think.

Reactions: Evoforce
The beginning of the end of common sense and decency and civilized behavior, in action.

Remember we don't have any moral authority to point fingers at ICE cars when they park... because they have every right to park wherever they want, unless the sign board says otherwise.

The signs almost always says "EV Parking Only". If they don't we can't complain.

All this goes away if they start charging a reasonable fee for charging and stop putting them in prime spots. If it costs as much or more to charge away from home, only people who need to charge will. If the spots are far from the entrance, no one will ICE them or park and not charge.

Reactions: brkaus and FlyinLow
in the office scenario: the one that absolutely needs it to reach his/her destination should be given courtesy preference. All the Teslas do NOT need any extra charge to get home. All Leafs and I3 absolutely do need on a cold day.

Chargers are provided in the office to make your commute stress free of range anxiety. Not to suck some pennies of free electricity. Many, not all, Tesla owners do not charge at home on a regular work day. That is being a cheap skate.

Ahh.. so it's not a "rich or affordability" thing.... OK that negates several of your previous posts.

So what if the person owning the Leaf has an ICE available to drive instead? Or the i3 has the REx?

For me the that perk is provided to give a range-anxiety stress free commute to work and back. So that more folks would be encouraged to drive an EV and range anxiety would not be used as an excuse not to buy an EV. A means of encouraging to a more sustainable future for all of us.

If the company's intent was to provide free charging for employees who switch to EVs as "A means of encouraging to a more sustainable future for all of us", then ALL employees with EVs should be able to get that benefit.

If it was to provide a way for employees to buy short range EVs and still be able to commute long distances (an odd and slightly specific intent for a company perk, but lets go with it), then they should charge the going rate for electricity, instead of making it free. That way no one is getting "special treatment", but it still enables EV use for anyone who want it.

Last edited:

Maybe get a car that can AT LEAST do the round trip for work?

So what happens if you want to stray 5 miles off your commute path after work on Friday? Is it my fault you won't have the range for that, because I'm in a Tesla?

Unless you're employer told you to buy a vehicle that is not capable of making a roundtrip to work and specifically promised you that you'd be able to use that charger you have no leg to stand on.

Own your poorly thought out vehicle purchase decision.

The Tesla owners are “cheap” because they are using the free chargers? Their car is way more expensive than yours. Maybe they can barely afford it. Since you saved so much money on your car, you should do the right thing and let the Tesla owners get the free energy. You can afford to pay your electricity bill, maybe they can’t. I’d say they need it more than you.

The Tesla owners are “cheap” because they are using the free chargers? Their car is way more expensive than yours. Maybe they can barely afford it. Since you saved so much money on your car, you should do the right thing and let the Tesla owners get the free energy. You can afford to pay your electricity bill, maybe they can’t. I’d say they need it more than you.
I love that line of reasoning: "I spent all my money on a Tesla. Can you please spare some change to feed my family?"

:)

I love that line of reasoning: "I spent all my money on a Tesla. Can you please spare some change to feed my family?"

:)

I hope that you realized it was tongue in cheek and actually making fun of the ridiculous rationale that people who buy expensive cars should keep the public chargers open for those that bought more affordable EVs.

rationale that people who buy expensive cars should keep the public chargers open for those that bought more affordable EVs.

Let me rephrase that for you: people who buy high range cars should be considerate in giving preference to those that bought low range EVs, in the event where the higher range model already has sufficient range to reach its destination.

Or let me make it even more straightforward:

If an EV (any EV) has sufficient range to reach its destination, then it should yield to the one next in line.

Simple.

Now the low range cars are almost always more affordable than the higher range ones happens to be a deciding factor on why one ends up with low, or high range EVs - but that is irrelevant.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike in CO
No WONDER this thread is 7 pages long..

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and MIT_S60
Owning a Tesla for years I choose to pass up free j1772s because I have never needed it and instead choose to leave them for my EV brothers and sisters driving lesser cars.

This. This is the point I tried to make and failed in my original post. The reality is if you see a Tesla at a J1772 the odds are good that owner is desperate for a charge because there's really no good reason to use these crappy chargers over the SC network.

Just because you don't know whether the person charging there is desperate or not does not change the odds that they more than likely are, since most Tesla owners have better charging options freely available along all major routes.

Reactions: liuping
: the one that absolutely needs it to reach his/her destination should be given courtesy preference. All the Teslas do NOT need any extra charge to get home. All Leafs and I3 absolutely do need on a cold day.
This is the very simple common sense and decency point.

No complex flow chart — just simple decency.

People who pretend not to understand this or think it is more complicated are either bizarrely selfish or just stupid

In my avatar pic you’ll see that I’m at a supermarket destination charger. I was running around town about 25 miles from my house in an 85. It was 20F out. There is a Prius Prime charging next to me.

Likely we were both patronizing the business where we felt like plugging in for a few minutes was ok. We both left with no intention of topping off, just continuing our day.

This conversation/thread is way more serious than I expected when reading through it. I plan on being courteous as a rule. I’ll reiterate that if I’m depending on a charger to get some needed miles I’m going to put the charge placard in my window with my phone number in large print on a card and the dial clearly on the time I expect to be finished.

Call or text me if you need the plug. I’ll talk with you about giving up my spot. I’m pretty good at planning and having plan A, B and can usually come up with C if needed.

Let me rephrase that for you: people who buy high range cars should be considerate in giving preference to those that bought low range EVs, in the event where the higher range model already has sufficient range to reach its destination.

Or let me make it even more straightforward:

Simple.

Now the low range cars are almost always more affordable than the higher range ones happens to be a deciding factor on why one ends up with low, or high range EVs - but that is irrelevant.

This. This is the point I tried to make and failed in my original post. The reality is if you see a Tesla at a J1772 the odds are good that owner is desperate for a charge because there's really no good reason to use these crappy chargers over the SC network.

Just because you don't know whether the person charging there is desperate or not does not change the odds that they more than likely are, since most Tesla owners have better charging options freely available along all major routes

There are two different discussions here getting mixed together.

Issue 1:
Should you use a public charger if you don’t really need to? Given the current limited public charging options the answer is no. No flow chart needed.

Issue 2:
Should I make the executive decision that my needs are greater than the needs of someone already plugged in when I know absolutely nothing about their situation other than they have a longer range EV? This is where the massively complex flow chart is needed but could never be enforced so the only rule that makes sense is first come, first serve. Do not touch another person’s car without their permission, ever. Simple. And if you only plug in at public chargers when you absolutely need to there is no need to use a hang tag with your phone number. If you’re only charging cause you absolutely have to then there’s no point in providing your number because you aren’t going to move. Leaving a note with your estimated time of departure is all that is needed.

Reactions: scaesare
After using public, destination and superchargers for over 5 years with our S P85 and S 100D, I can see how using chargers away from home will be an increasing challenge - because there will always be people who will charge more than they need or leave their cars parked at chargers (or blocking charger spots) after charging has been completed.

And, this is where Tesla has the opportunity to provide extra value with their destination and supercharger network, by providing onboard and smartphone app features that encourage drivers to more effectively use and share chargers.

Tesla knows what cars are in the proximity of destination and superchargers - they can project how much charge each car is likely going to need - and can provide guidance with the onboard software and smartphone app to encourage drivers to disconnect and move their cars when there are other Tesla cars nearby that also need charging.

And while this may be controversial, they should consider adding some support to allow businesses that have installed destination chargers to have more control over those chargers, and allow those businesses to restrict use to only their customers. At best, Tesla provides the HPWC (about a $500 value) and the business pays the cost of installing the charger, allocating the parking spot and paying for electricity - so if they want to restrict use to only their customers - they should be able to do that.

We stayed at a hotel last year with 1 Tesla charger. When we got to the hotel late evening, we had about 30 miles of charge left - and found the Tesla charger was being used. The front desk wasn't aware they had any other Tesla customers that night, and later discovered a nearby resident was parking their car at the hotel and using the hotel's charger for overnight charging. Fortunately there was a supercharger that was just barely close enough to reach with our remaining charge - and after spending the extra time to drive to the supercharger and then wait to get a 90% charge, we overcame this challenge.

And others have likely had similar experiences, which will only get worse as the number of Tesla's and other EVs increases.

Because of Tesla's support of the destination and supercharger networks - Tesla can and should do more to help share the limited charging resources...