Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had something hit and broke my windshield on the way to have battery fuse replaced on the model X. Windshield replacement cost $2,195. They called to inform me that the windshield sensor also needs to be replaced. That’s an additional $42. I also had a code come up for the charge port. Since they were going to have my model X for the next 2-3 days they said they could fix the charge port. They charged a $97 diagnostics charge total cost for the charge port $1,097. I am still waiting for reimbursement for battery fuse. This 2016 model X is costing too much to maintain. I purchased a third party extended warranty and they do not cover this repair. Tesla is definitely not for poor people.

I had something hit and broke my windshield on the way to have battery fuse replaced on the model X. Windshield replacement cost $2,195. They called to inform me that the windshield sensor also needs to be replaced. That’s an additional $42. I also had a code come up for the charge port. Since they were going to have my model X for the next 2-3 days they said they could fix the charge port. They charged a $97 diagnostics charge total cost for the charge port $1,097. I am still waiting for reimbursement for battery fuse. This 2016 model X is costing too much to maintain. I purchased a third party extended warranty and they do not cover this repair. Tesla is definitely not for poor people.
A Tesla model X is not for poor people.

The 3 isn’t terribly expensive.

Reactions: outdoors

Your insurance doesn’t cover the windshield repair?

Can’t really blame that on Tesla though. They didn’t invent flying debris.

Is the glass expensive? Yes. It’s also a gigantic piece of curved glass - larger than any other windshield I know of on the market.

Reactions: MattChristian
Hmmm keep me posted on this mcu1 chip. I’d like to see what the invoice says about the replacement. My mcu1 had the memory recall done last year. It works well for the most part but I can’t tell if that’s from lack of use or what. The biggest issues I have is slow boot at times and a screen freeze between switching songs
Here was the invoice:

Code:
Replace VCM To Upgrade eMMC. Verified proper operations.
Correction: Replace VCM To Upgrade eMMC (Model X) - Remove and Replace
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
MSX TEGRA VCM REVD
PROV NO FACTORY
MODE (64 GB)-
REMAN(2728212-S0-D)
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

I did not try a reboot but switching songs was seamless as before. Biggest issue was I had to repair my cell phone to the car. Other settings were retained. Seems a little bit snappier, but not day and night.

Reactions: tesluv108
Is there something new here we don't yet fully understand? (HV Battery 2.0)

This was my invoice from the swap yesterday:

Code:
Replaced HV -powered hybrid pyro fuse with Pyrotechnic Fuse 2.0. Verified proper operations.
Correction: Fuse - Pyrotechnic - HV Battery 2.0 (Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
DISCONNECT,PYROTECHNIC,CUR
POWERED,2000A(1111445-00-F)
SCREW-M6-1.0X18.5,5 LOBE EX TORX(1055832-
00-B)
SCR,M8-
1.25X21,HEX,STL,ZN,PATCH,,W/WSHRS(1004391-
00-A)

My SC is replacing the fuse for free but is charging $205 for a "High Voltage Circuit Integrity Check". I added on the CCS charge port upgrade and they're saying $0 for that. Early 2017 Model X. Not sure how they determined the charges. I was expecting no charge for the fuse and a non-zero charge for the charge port but the total was about what I was expecting.

Wonder if owners will be reimbursed if they had 3rd party professionals replace their pyrofuse under this alert?

I seriously doubt that one....That's an out of pocket cost and Telsa have no control over it.

I've got a 1111445-00-F fuse sat on my desk, that i bought with an idea of DIYing things, but wasn't so sure after looking at the service manual. I didn't get round to finding if the HV Interlock was before or after the contactors and mention of arcing in the service manual didn't sound fun!

I'm not even gonna mention it to the SC when it goes in for the swap.

FYI UK here and show as FOC on the review estimate :D

Here was the invoice:

Code:
Replace VCM To Upgrade eMMC. Verified proper operations.
Correction: Replace VCM To Upgrade eMMC (Model X) - Remove and Replace
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
MSX TEGRA VCM REVD
PROV NO FACTORY
MODE (64 GB)-
REMAN(2728212-S0-D)
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

I did not try a reboot but switching songs was seamless as before. Biggest issue was I had to repair my cell phone to the car. Other settings were retained. Seems a little bit snappier, but not day and night.
Yeah that’s the same thing my invoice says from last year. I still notice a lot of booting which gets annoying

I got battery fuse replacement notice about 2 weeks ago. Received estimate of over $300. Appointment was scheduled for today due to waiting for the fuse to arrive at the service center. Arrived at service center today and was greeted by service advisor who told me the service is free and it will done in 45 minutes. I was surprised and happy with the news. I was out of the service center in just over 30 minutes.

My 2016.5 Model S probably would have been up for this alert soon, had I not been hit by a drunk driver in June:
1) airbags and seat belt tensioners deployed, so pyro fuse blew as it's designed to do, so would've needed a new one anyways, problem solved
2) car was total loss, so problem permanently solved

But good to know it's now being covered under the HV battery warranty, as I've been casually looking at used late 2016/early 2017 Model S/X as a replacement, since I miss my car. I kind of know what are the risks and issues with these vintages are, as well as how to DIY repair many of the more common parts failures (headlamps, latches, etc), excluding those in the battery, powertrain and suspension...

I got my "Battery fuse requires replacement soon" notice. I'm at 10 1/2 years with my Model S at over 105,000 miles so I guess I'm lucky. Haven't contacted Tesla SC yet but I feel better after reading this thread. Obviously out of warranty but I'll be happy with a $300-500 hit.

I got my "Battery fuse requires replacement soon" notice. I'm at 10 1/2 years with my Model S at over 105,000 miles so I guess I'm lucky. Haven't contacted Tesla SC yet but I feel better after reading this thread. Obviously out of warranty but I'll be happy with a $300-500 hit.
You better be sitting down when you get your service estimate. Not going to be 3-400.

• Funny
Reactions: greenbert
What he said... the $300-$500 quote is for the HV Battery 2.0 series and not the 1.0/1.5 variants.... TLDR, they have to pull the HV battery on the older ones since the fuse is on top. Tesla learned from this and moved the fuse to the underside of the battery for the 2.0 variant. With 2.0 and above, there is just a small cover they remove to gain access to it.

Reactions: Gr8pursuit
Are you on your original battery?