Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you on your original battery?
Good question and I'm not sure. A number of years ago (6? 7?) I got a message from Tesla saying I had a problem with my battery and to bring it in. I did and they replaced my battery. OK So then a number of years later they said come back in and we'll give you your battery back. So how many miles or if this is my original battery? I'm not sure.

2014 S? Should not have the battery fuse.
That is my understanding as well, given what I learned here. Nevertheless, I was getting the fuse message and the 2 service centers I contacted were happy to take my money. I do not know why the message was there - I was gone for 5 months and came home to it - didn't see it on the app but then I never checked my MS via the app while I was away (too busy dealing with phantom braking, broken steering, among other issues with my new MY). Today the message was gone and I have no idea why. I do think there was an update but no idea if that had anything to do with it. Feeling pretty done with Tesla at this point.

mine was replaced today. Still had the $320 approved estimate in the system, but they updated it to $0 once I asked.

Took 1.5 hours. No loaners available. I was told this up front and brought work. But they had a demo Y. So I took it for a quick spin (far better than work).
What was your impression of the y? Was it the performance variant? I hate the single screen so I would have to add one behind the wheel if I ever bought one.

What was your impression of the y? Was it the performance variant? I hate the single screen so I would have to add one behind the wheel if I ever bought one.
We have a S , 3, and a leaf. The offset speedo doesn’t bother me. Found it very compelling for the price. Storage was awesome. I like the minimal inside. Drove nice. It was an LR. Felt a little sluggish vs my 2017 S. Of course my S feels sluggish vs a modern S. But still fast enough for me.

Going to trade in (or sell) the S soon, not sure which I’ll get.

We have a S , 3, and a leaf. The offset speedo doesn’t bother me. Found it very compelling for the price. Storage was awesome. I like the minimal inside. Drove nice. It was an LR. Felt a little sluggish vs my 2017 S. Of course my S feels sluggish vs a modern S. But still fast enough for me.

Going to trade in (or sell) the S soon, not sure which I’ll get.
To me the best car Tesla makes is the s and by a mile. Not sure what s you have but I have a p90d. A bit faster than todays s long range. Id love a black y for the wife but that’s her choice. She likes the sportage x line. It’s much cheaper than the performance x but guzzles gas at 26 mpg. She doesn’t drive much though

I have one of the first S100D to roll off the line. “Not compatible with uncorking” so I missed that boost.

I agree the S is a great car. That’s what I’m leaning towards. But for the price, I’d be happy with a Y. I just think it’s a bit ugly.
Haha same on the ugly. If they would revise the front end of the y to match the highland 3 I’d be in. I actually had a 3 and sold it because it reverse grew on me. I went blind every time I saw the front end 😂

To me the best car Tesla makes is the s and by a mile. Not sure what s you have but I have a p90d. A bit faster than todays s long range. Id love a black y for the wife but that’s her choice. She likes the sportage x line. It’s much cheaper than the performance x but guzzles gas at 26 mpg. She doesn’t drive much though
I agree with this. It pretty much ticks every check box for requirements in a good vehicle. Tried and tried and tried my sisters Y. No matter what I do and how many times I try it, I can't get around not having a dash screen. It's just so inefficient using the center screen for everything. Also wastes so much screen real estate. Overall, 3 and Y are just lacking so much compared to S and X.
As for the Model X, it is ALMOST as good as the S. I have both a S and X. Realistically, they are pretty much identical in operation. One MAJOR and one Minor flaw of the Model X that really drives me nuts. Minor = The middle row of seats, the seat backs don't fold down. So I cannot put anything large in the truck. For how much more interior space the X has, I can move about half as much INSIDE the cabin. The MAJOR flaw, the God Dang Doors! I absolutely cannot stand the Falcon Wing Doors, and the powered front doors. I have open on approach disabled, as they would randomly open just walking near the car or if I was trying to get to the Model S. The falcon doors are impractical for anything but a drive by shooting. Especially in Winter, as you lose ALL your heat when either door opens, especially if both are open and there is a cross breeze. They freeze shut in the winter, sometimes freeze OPEN in the winter (And this is after applying silicone to the seals to help prevent this), wait for them to open, wait for them to close. I've accidently opened them by accident (butt press) of the FOB numerous times in inclement weather (as well as fair weather) causing both snow and rain to get in. Thankfully the app notifies me if a door is open, but still, that's 15 minutes or so after the door was open.
In the end, we still needed a 7 seat vehicle for when the in-laws visit (for usually 4-6 months at a time, as they come internationally), as well as something with a much larger towing capacity than the model s.
The only real inconvenience of the Model S is the door handles. Absolutely can't stand the self presenting doo handles. Still minor, and can overlook that. Especially since Gen 3 handles are actually lasting. First Model S went through around 15-20 handles, and my current one went through 10-15 handles until gen 3's were installed, and the gen 3's are holding for 3 years now.

Reactions: tesluv108
My 2017 Model X P100D had this fuse replacement done (because of warning) a couple of months ago, so I called the Tesla SC about getting a refund. The service advisor called me back and said Tesla was handling it at a higher level and refunding all customers automatically. He didn't know the timing, so if anyone finds anything out there please post.
I just got the same response back from our local service as well.

I agree with this. It pretty much ticks every check box for requirements in a good vehicle. Tried and tried and tried my sisters Y. No matter what I do and how many times I try it, I can't get around not having a dash screen. It's just so inefficient using the center screen for everything. Also wastes so much screen real estate. Overall, 3 and Y are just lacking so much compared to S and X.
As for the Model X, it is ALMOST as good as the S. I have both a S and X. Realistically, they are pretty much identical in operation. One MAJOR and one Minor flaw of the Model X that really drives me nuts. Minor = The middle row of seats, the seat backs don't fold down. So I cannot put anything large in the truck. For how much more interior space the X has, I can move about half as much INSIDE the cabin. The MAJOR flaw, the God Dang Doors! I absolutely cannot stand the Falcon Wing Doors, and the powered front doors. I have open on approach disabled, as they would randomly open just walking near the car or if I was trying to get to the Model S. The falcon doors are impractical for anything but a drive by shooting. Especially in Winter, as you lose ALL your heat when either door opens, especially if both are open and there is a cross breeze. They freeze shut in the winter, sometimes freeze OPEN in the winter (And this is after applying silicone to the seals to help prevent this), wait for them to open, wait for them to close. I've accidently opened them by accident (butt press) of the FOB numerous times in inclement weather (as well as fair weather) causing both snow and rain to get in. Thankfully the app notifies me if a door is open, but still, that's 15 minutes or so after the door was open.
In the end, we still needed a 7 seat vehicle for when the in-laws visit (for usually 4-6 months at a time, as they come internationally), as well as something with a much larger towing capacity than the model s.
The only real inconvenience of the Model S is the door handles. Absolutely can't stand the self presenting doo handles. Still minor, and can overlook that. Especially since Gen 3 handles are actually lasting. First Model S went through around 15-20 handles, and my current one went through 10-15 handles until gen 3's were installed, and the gen 3's are holding for 3 years now.
So my car has 9k miles on it and the first door handle has broken. Not sure if it’s the handle or something else, I just know the door handle does present. The door just cannot be pulled open from the outside of the car. I actually have to roll the window down and have my wife or I reach in when we want to get in. This is inexcusable for a 131k car imo. I’m actually waiting as long as possible to get this fixed in case another breaks. I still have the extended warranty but there is a convenient to Tesla $200 deductible ensuring their crap parts are paid for partially by the customer. I’ve heard you can have them fix multiple issues with 1 deductible. Even w a $5200 out of pocket paid for warranty seems crazy they charge for known issues like this. I wonder if they are putting the gen 3 handles on now when this happens?

I’m actually waiting as long as possible to get this fixed in case another breaks
I'm pretty sure the terms of your service agreement don't allow that. (They normally say that issues have to be reported as soon as you are aware of them, and you can't hold off on repairs to wait and bundle things in to one deductible charge.) Of course, I have never heard of it being enforced...

I just got the same response back from our local service as well.
First they told me to reach back out if it hadn't been completed within 14d, which it hadn't. Then when I reached back out, they told me the warranty department was processing the refunds & they had escalated a request to them. They then said it should be processed and I would receive notification within 24hrs, which of course didn't happen. After a bit of pushback, they processed the refund on their end.

I'm pretty sure the terms of your service agreement don't allow that. (They normally say that issues have to be reported as soon as you are aware of them, and you can't hold off on repairs to wait and bundle things in to one deductible charge.) Of course, I have never heard of it being enforced...
Lol, yeah they aren’t gonna know. Also they boned me at 4500 miles for a new part