Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tried booking service appointment through app,

First cannot find my address, so just put the main road my road is off of, seemed to accept this but when date etc chosen, and hit 'schedule service's it comes up with error message please try layer, any ideas?

Just tried booking service appointment through app,

First cannot find my address, so just put the main road my road is off of, seemed to accept this but when date etc chosen, and hit 'schedule service's it comes up with error message please try layer, any ideas?
Same for me, I had to put a call in!!! I’ve leased mine so maybe just another complication of that?

Came here to see if I was alone. I updated to 2020.12 a week ago. First charge last week was fine but woke up this morning to find the car still charging when normally it would be finished and speed at 4kwh rather than the usual 7kwh. This is a Podpoint charger that has worked flawlessly on an i3 and then the Tesla for 6 years. Immediate thought was issue with charger due to its age but clearly its a software issue based on the comments here. I guess I will log a service call like others have.

Same issue here. Logged an issue last niit and got a text asking for details. Hopefully they can just roll back to the last update and sort it out! The way I use myomy car doesn't work only getting 13 miles an hour.

Reactions: Roy W.
I’m getting stopped charges now. Tesla wall connector with no previous issues.

Not happy

13BA8E3B-D164-4BCE-B8EE-B9508EBB0F09.jpeg

First time charging on sw 2020.20.12 and had the same issue: car was charging between 17-18 A on a public source London point. Fixed by reading this forum (thanks) and restarting charging via the app.

Really unimpressed by this shoddy Tesla coding. Some people are going to have their journeys badly affected though no fault of their own.

Reactions: Roy W.
I've owned my M3P since March and never experienced this problem but now that I've installed the latest software I've had the charge rate drop a couple of times : https://i.imgur.com/ajIm9mF.png . This is with a BMWi wallbox charger that has worked fine charging various EV's for the last 7 years. This is the first time I've encountered a problem.

Came on here to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue so interesting to find this thread. Seems I'll just wait for a fix from Tesla, however long that'll take.

I've owned my M3P since March and never experienced this problem but now that I've installed the latest software I've had the charge rate drop a couple of times : https://i.imgur.com/ajIm9mF.png . This is with a BMWi wallbox charger that has worked fine charging various EV's for the last 7 years. This is the first time I've encountered a problem.

Came on here to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue so interesting to find this thread. Seems I'll just wait for a fix from Tesla, however long that'll take.
Don’t just wait for them to fix it.
If you could please submit a service request, that should spur them into some action. Hopefully it won’t take them a year to fix it like last time...

Just had this back about the charging bug in advance of my service appointment I had booked

Our technicians have reviewed your vehicle intermittently dropping to 17a when charging concern and have confirmed that this is caused by a known firmware bug on current firmware levels. This bug is currently under investigation by our engineering team and fix will be implemented in an upcoming over-the-air firmware update. Until then, whenever this occurs, full charge power should be able to restored by restarting charging.

yes actually. When I checked it had tripped. Charging today ok but 17/32 A

If you, or anyone with the same problem, have a data logger such as TeslaFi, could you please check the logs at the time the fault occurred. The pilot current* (ie what the car thinks is the power that the charge point is offering) or charge rate/mi-hr fields might be useful to look at - although I suspect not as things may occur too quick or not at the level reported. * pilot current may be needed to be added to he headers via the edit layout button after you have clicked on the charge icon to show minute by minute stats.

I'm wondering if this is the opposite of the 17A charge problem, that the car is somehow thinking that it should up its charge rate (rather than dropping it to ~17A) and overloading the circuit hence tripping the MCB.

Of course it may show nothing interesting like mine, but I'm only charging at 10A as when I had the issues, I had been earlier topping up on solar.