Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour: Model 3/Y to lose stalks in 2023 model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that was the original Tesla intention. Proportional steering that increased steering angle the further the yoke was turned, just like Lexus' yoke. But, as is typical, the original clever idea has not materialised in software before the hardware was deleted.

Yes, Lexus have gone full steer-by-wire so there's no mechanical control between yoke and the actual mechanism. I suspect that's what Tesla decided to back out of. If power steering fails on a normal car (including Tesla) you still retain the same mechanical connection and though it's harder to do you can still steer the car. Having had two vehicles with failed power steering I can say that I wouldn't feel confident depending on a steer-by-wire system!

Yes, Lexus have gone full steer-by-wire so there's no mechanical control between yoke and the actual mechanism. I suspect that's what Tesla decided to back out of. If power steering fails on a normal car (including Tesla) you still retain the same mechanical connection and though it's harder to do you can still steer the car. Having had two vehicles with failed power steering I can say that I wouldn't feel confident depending on a steer-by-wire system!
Power steering failure is a 3 Shredded Wheat affair!

Putting them on the steering wheel means that left/right reverse when the wheel is upside down. That’s why they are on the column.
True, but if they're in a sensible place ergonomically then you're not actively having to think about where the button is. If your hands are on the wheel in the right place it's second nature.

It does involve them not being haptic though, which is dumb anyway in my opinion for vital controls.

4581_1024x1024@2x.jpeg

Reactions: Sean. and CWT3LR
True, but if they're in a sensible place ergonomically then you're not actively having to think about where the button is. If your hands are on the wheel in the right place it's second nature.

It does involve them not being haptic though, which is dumb anyway in my opinion for vital controls.

View attachment 908722
A flat bottomed steering wheel is S3XY as fu.k. But add carbon and a prancing horse....I'll forgive them for idiot indicator switches. Like the horn placement. Not one but two. So very Italian 😅

Reactions: Durzel

View attachment 908722

Maybe the thinking was along the lines of duplicating the stalk but in buttons? thats on the left with up-right/down-left? for me mentally the stalk makes sense as you’re ‘banking’ in the direction you want to go but buttons don’t do the same. If it was a rocker switch maybe a bit better?

gears on the touch screen is fine when pulling away but what about when trying to do a three point turn or anything you need to flick quickly between D/R? can see that going wrong very quickly. Don’t have enough examples on the streets yet but surely someone is going to crash during parking because of confusion there?

Reactions: Wol747
Maybe the thinking was along the lines of duplicating the stalk but in buttons? thats on the left with up-right/down-left? for me mentally the stalk makes sense as you’re ‘banking’ in the direction you want to go but buttons don’t do the same. If it was a rocker switch maybe a bit better?

gears on the touch screen is fine when pulling away but what about when trying to do a three point turn or anything you need to flick quickly between D/R? can see that going wrong very quickly. Don’t have enough examples on the streets yet but surely someone is going to crash during parking because of confusion there?
Everything I have seen and read about the green selection from everyone that owns and drives one says it’s fine and isn’t a problem. Don’t forget it’s also on the phone holder as well. It’s literally the lease of your worried with a stalkless yolk set up.
Power steering failure is a 3 Shredded Wheat affair!

To be fair, my last car before my model 3 had its power steering fail - not fun…

The software already prevents 40+ accelerator mis-applications per day. So even with stalks drivers are pretty rubbish.

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
They simply don't work in Europe with all our roundabouts. I think it will be a big error to introduce it over here - here's hoping for a retention of the stalks.
they didn't on the S so I would not hold your breath.
The fact that you have to push the stalk down twice as it is to signal your exit on a right turn roundabout now, unlike any other car I have ever driven , already indicates the lack of understanding/interest in US/European road differences

Reactions: bay74
If power steering fails on a normal car (including Tesla) you still retain the same mechanical connection and though it's harder to do you can still steer the car. Having had two vehicles with failed power steering I can say that I wouldn't feel confident depending on a steer-by-wire system!
It's a requirement of the regulations that if power fails you can still steer, which is why you don't see much steer by wire because it's got to fail safe and that's hard to engineer (IIRC it has to do a figure of 8 after complete power failure to pass).

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR and Adopado
My parents had that car, Citroen BX, in fact they clearly liked it so much they bought one each. As a child I liked it when it inflated the suspension once the engine came on.

Maybe looks a little plastic-y for my liking today.
Ahh a BX. I had a ‘91 BX and it’s still in my top 3 of cars (the Model Y isn’t troubling the top 10). Far far more comfortable way to travel and it also had bags of character.

• Love
Reactions: Astrape and CWT3LR