Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Following the PLAID topic. I have a plaid 2022 and I did order a harness from gpstrackingcanada and tried to use Scan My Tesla. It didnt work that great as i pulled no informations but Amundi pointed me that the data as changed format and its more like the 3/Y now.

I Will Do some testing today.

Jay

On this topic, we have emailed a bit, and the app seems to get a lot of useful information on the Plaid. Jay sent me some screenshots, maybe you want to share it here too? It seems to me at first glance that all this stuff works when selecting Model 3:
- All battery stats, capacity, temperatures, info
- Energy summaries and odometer, so it looks like trip recording should also work
- Battery and powertrain inlet temperatures and flow
- Evaporator temperatures
- Surprisingly, two motors seem to be reporting sane temperatures, not sure about power and torque numbers. But I suppose we are not sure which motors these are. Perhaps the rear twin is reporting as 1, and the numbers are correct? If we're very lucky
- Brake temperatures

Things that seem to not work:
- Headlight temperatures and positition
- HVAC duct temperatures
- Wiper cycles

@JWardell , how did your hunt for the 3rd motor end? Did the original 2 seem to work? Could the rear be reporting as a single unit?
Any other insight you have gathered for the Plaid & Palladium?

Reactions: beachmiles
Well I show in my videos how I searched for the different motor messages.
But none of it is on plaid vehicle can bus.
So you are saying that we wont find the motor KW output on the usual busses ? Today i will make can dumps with SMT to try to see what is the maximum KW we get on the plaid. Should be arround 820kw i guess but i really wanted to see the real numbers.

@amund7 Would you know why the can dump from your app can't be opened in SavvyCan ? They do open on your CAN BUS analyser but seems like SavvyCan dont like them.

So you are saying that we wont find the motor KW output on the usual busses ? Today i will make can dumps with SMT to try to see what is the maximum KW we get on the plaid. Should be arround 820kw i guess but i really wanted to see the real numbers.

@amund7 Would you know why the can dump from your app can't be opened in SavvyCan ? They do open on your CAN BUS analyser but seems like SavvyCan dont like them.
Canbus Analyzer was built by me to support Scan My Tesla. SavvyCan I don't know well enough, but I thought I had seen it support Scan My Tesla files a while ago. Maybe ask the SavvyCan developer, maybe it's a bug or unintended regression in later versions?

Canbus Analyzer was built by me to support Scan My Tesla. SavvyCan I don't know well enough, but I thought I had seen it support Scan My Tesla files a while ago. Maybe ask the SavvyCan developer, maybe it's a bug or unintended regression in later versions?
Finally found it working to open the SMT candump with SavvyCan version 207 So maybe just a bug.

I feel like SMT with bluetooth is skipping data. Maybe the datastream is too much for bluetooth or the OBXlink MX+ ?

Finally found it working to open the SMT candump with SavvyCan version 207 So maybe just a bug.

I feel like SMT with bluetooth is skipping data. Maybe the datastream is too much for bluetooth or the OBXlink MX+ ?
OBDLink devices can get around/up to 1000 packets per second with Scan My Tesla. The Model 3 sends around 2000 packets on that bus, I suppose similar for Plaid, so you're missing about half.

ScanMyTesla / CANserver users:
FYI, EVoffer added a page for the Y/3. The picture on that page will be updated when they have the new cable. Past EVoffer comment: "We have found a power source nearby. We will add a pair of connector{s} for powering up the OBD device"
>>>>
Model 3 2021+
  • Made in USA built after 2020/10/05; or
  • Made in China built after 2020/12/28
Model Y 2021+
  • Made in USA built after 2021/01/13; or
  • Made in China built after 2020/12/14
<<<<

I contacted EVoffer regarding the bold above (power source mods) and they said they have it and sent the below picture.

VIrdLnK.jpg

Wow!

Doesn't the CanServer get it's power from under the passenger seat? I used to have the one buss CanServer in my car and it got power from my OBD adapter (not sure whose I purchased). I guess this OBD adapter didn't have power before? Or is it that this provides always on power vs. cutting off after the USB power goes away?

Wow!

Doesn't the CanServer get it's power from under the passenger seat? I used to have the one buss CanServer in my car and it got power from my OBD adapter (not sure whose I purchased). I guess this OBD adapter didn't have power before? Or is it that this provides always on power vs. cutting off after the USB power goes away?
It would be a pretty nonstandard OBD2 connector. Pins 16 and 4 are supposed to give you +12V.

Wow!

It would be a pretty nonstandard OBD2 connector. Pins 16 and 4 are supposed to give you +12V.
There are pictures here: Model 3/Y CAN Diagnostic Cable (For 2021+ Model) - EVOffer (Tesla Offer)

The key point is they are using other wiring harnesses to get to different canbus "highways" and they don't necessarily have 12v power running thru them.
They are using these other wires to "make up" an OBDII connector.

JWardell: various canbuses: Model 3 CAN bus IDs and data

"The harness can be connected to the two ports behind the lower A-pillar trim."

TM3-Diagnostic.jpg

Does the harness for the Obd2 adapter affect autopilot capability? I have had my car installed with the Obd2 adapter for over a year now, but recently I have been getting errors of cruise control unavailable, seems to be fine after a day or so with the error, but it's rather a frequent occurance. Would this be an harness problem, or something else?

Does the harness for the Obd2 adapter affect autopilot capability? I have had my car installed with the Obd2 adapter for over a year now, but recently I have been getting errors of cruise control unavailable, seems to be fine after a day or so with the error, but it's rather a frequent occurance. Would this be an harness problem, or something else?
Any chance the camera lenses have been dirty?

There would be hundreds of people with that problem if it was true. Anecdotally, my X and my kids 3 always have one plugged in. OBDlink LX

Recommended adapters: scan my tesla - Adapters

I have had issues like this in the past. Our Scan My Tesla app crashes while driving. I worked with the maker of the OBDLink MX+ on troubleshooting & things improved in the sense that the adapter will now reboot itself instead of needing to be unplugged in order to get SMT working again. But it still crashes. When I was getting the AP crashes I would have to disconnect the OBDLink MX+ for a few minutes until AP came back to use it again. If I left the MX+ plugged in I would never get AP back. This was in 2021 I believe. A Tesla software update cleared the issue for us.

Reactions: beachmiles and Mash
Bought this cable for my 2022 X:
Plugged it into the blue DLC connector behind the closeout panel under the main screen.
Plugged in my somewhat old Elm327 dongle that I used to use on my 2015 S.

SMT sees it and connects but it gets stuck here:

i-PwKgwh8-XL[1].jpg

And then after 30 seconds:

i-Jq47kLr-XL[1].jpg

Meanwhile the comm lights on the Elm327 are flickering like crazy....way faster than it used to on my Model S.

These are the only parameters that actually display:

i-6tmJgk5-XL[1].jpg

Is it my Elm327 dongle? Do I need a newer one or a specific one?

Bought this cable for my 2022 X:
Plugged it into the blue DLC connector behind the closeout panel under the main screen.
Plugged in my somewhat old Elm327 dongle that I used to use on my 2015 S.
SMT sees it and connects but it gets stuck here:
And then after 30 seconds:
Meanwhile the comm lights on the Elm327 are flickering like crazy....way faster than it used to on my Model S.
These are the only parameters that actually display:
Is it my Elm327 dongle? Do I need a newer one or a specific one?
More data than it can handle without some overflow or loss issue?
IIRC OBDLink* devices support a lot of packets/sec and rarely have complaints in various threads I've seen.
I use Android so I have the OBDLink LX.

SMT suggestions: scan my tesla - Adapters

UX1cdOo.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Krash