Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Score now 99 - do you get FSD Beta now or next cycle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anecdotally I know one person who’s in FSD Beta and doesn’t use it because in their own experience, it’s not a great experience. I’ve heard similar things from YouTubers (hyperchange). I suspect it may be like my experience with autopilot (or even cruise control) on a two lane road…unusable. This might not be the right thread for this but does anyone else get phantom breaking like crazy on two lane highways? I’ve given up on all of Tesla drivers assist software on my road to work because it phantom breaks for EVERY SINGLE big truck oncoming in the opposite lane…even on cruise control. Sigh. Hoping FSD would be better but I guess I’ll have to wait to find out.
Yes, this software bug where the car freaks out on two-lane highways and large cars coming in the opposite lane is very common and repeatable.

But I'm sure they'll fix that.

One of my personal reasons for getting a Tesla and FSD was because I really wanted to experience and witness how the software gets better over time and how it progresses towards eventually potentially being super human.

I know auto-pilot was horrible before. It's now much better than it was 5 years or so ago and it will be even better in the future. There was no city street level driving of any kind just a couple of years ago. There's now BETA and so on.

Once autonomy is solved, it will become boring and mundane to just see the car drive itself. It will become a normal thing that we will take for granted.

Right now, we're just witnessing the path towards that super human state and I personally find it very interesting to experience this gradual and maybe sometimes apparent slow progress towards that goal. It might sound silly but I believe it's a once in a life time opportunity to witness the rise of the car AI.

Hardcore engineering is the closest thing to real magic. :)

Reactions: Yelobird and JPed
Just reached 99 finally and now after seeing all of the comments on not getting the beta I want to bang my head against a wall.
HA! Same!!
I found this thread to see when I might possibly get the Beta since I got a 99 over 200 miles. It is SO tedious driving my plaid like a student driver. Now I see that it might be weeks?
If I don't get it by the coming weekend, I will have to opt out. It's TOO stressful driving in a way to keep the safety score high.

• Love
Reactions: JPed and lUtriaNt
Keep the faith!

It might come to us soon.

1645157696515.png

Roll Call: Just checking in to see if anyone was released from of Tesla purgatory and admitted into FSD Beta over the weekend. I'm also curious to see how long everybody's been waiting. I've had a 99 score since January 6th (now 100 for the last three weeks), 3,155 miles driven. Just feels like they're not letting anybody in at the moment. I'll come back and post if I get in I'm just wondering if anybody is getting in right now.

sigma4Life says he's been waiting since January 3rd
Gogreen108 says January 10th

Reactions: unclebnz
Roll Call: Just checking in to see if anyone was released from of Tesla purgatory and admitted into FSD Beta over the weekend. I'm also curious to see how long everybody's been waiting. I've had a 99 score since January 6th (now 100 for the last three weeks), 3,155 miles driven. Just feels like they're not letting anybody in at the moment. I'll come back and post if I get in I'm just wondering if anybody is getting in right now.

sigma4Life says he's been waiting since January 3rd
Gogreen108 says January 10th
4200 miles since Jan 10th here

Here's the problem at its core: FSD Beta is a serious commitment - it's much more stressful to drive on FSD Beta than to drive normally or even on AP. It demands quality drivers who take safety very seriously. Yet so many people are bitching about having to alter their driving habits to get a high safety score for the hope/chance of being invited into the FSD Beta.

This bears repeating: People are changing their driving habits to get into the Beta.

This is the equivalent of lying on your resume to get an interview, cheating on a test to get accepted into a university, etc. FSD Beta needs people who are, by nature, safe drivers.

If you are using terms like "Safety Score Jail", or "I have to drive like a grandma", or "I miss driving the car like I want to", then you really shouldn't be in the FSD Beta.

It's not a ride at Disneyland - FSD Beta is stressful and arduous. Constant disengagements and re-engagements to ensure the car is performing safely. Constant reporting to Tesla on conditions that the car did not handle correctly (I average about 4-5 reports daily when driving). Constant stress when other drivers are tailgating you, knowing that your car may suddenly brake or take a turn very oddly or jerky. I have two very large bumper stickers that I've custom made to warn people behind me that I'm a Self-Driving Test Vehicle and to use caution around me.

So, everyone who is complaining that they have to change how they drive, and are resenting the Safety Score, and missing how they used to drive, the FSD Beta is not for you. Go, drive and enjoy your car - it's an amazing car! Have fun with it. You will eventually get FSD on city streets when it rolls out to the general public - and without all the stress and serious commitment that's required to be a FSD Beta Tester.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Here's the problem at its core: FSD Beta is a serious commitment - it's much more stressful to drive on FSD Beta than to drive normally or even on AP. It demands quality drivers who take safety very seriously. Yet so many people are bitching about having to alter their driving habits to get a high safety score for the hope/chance of being invited into the FSD Beta.

This bears repeating: People are changing their driving habits to get into the Beta.

This is the equivalent of lying on your resume to get an interview, cheating on a test to get accepted into a university, etc. FSD Beta needs people who are, by nature, safe drivers.

If you are using terms like "Safety Score Jail", or "I have to drive like a grandma", or "I miss driving the car like I want to", then you really shouldn't be in the FSD Beta.

It's not a ride at Disneyland - FSD Beta is stressful and arduous. Constant disengagements and re-engagements to ensure the car is performing safely. Constant reporting to Tesla on conditions that the car did not handle correctly (I average about 4-5 reports daily when driving). Constant stress when other drivers are tailgating you, knowing that your car may suddenly brake or take a turn very oddly or jerky. I have two very large bumper stickers that I've custom made to warn people behind me that I'm a Self-Driving Test Vehicle and to use caution around me.

So, everyone who is complaining that they have to change how they drive, and are resenting the Safety Score, and missing how they used to drive, the FSD Beta is not for you. Go, drive and enjoy your car - it's an amazing car! Have fun with it. You will eventually get FSD on city streets when it rolls out to the general public - and without all the stress and serious commitment that's required to be a FSD Beta Tester.
Dewg - You're not wrong. Like every driving instructor told us when we were 16, driving is a privilege. Full stop. I'm under no false delusion that FSD Beta is BETA software and understand the responsibilities that accompany it's use. No doubt Tesla, and myself as a Tesla investor, want the best of the best in the program so they don't give Tesla or FSD a black eye doing dumb things with it but like it or not, Tesla has outlined rules, set a score and given us "the button. The reason this thread exists is the time is unclear.

Keeping a perfect safety score is not easy. How long did you keep a good score before being admitted into the Beta? I don't agree with the statement that improving our driving is like lying on a resume. Keeping a good score seems to be a reasonable (and acceptable by Tesla) method of seeing if somebody is willing to show meticulous attention to cars cutting you off, lights that will change yellow...red and anticipating any hard breaking events.

Are you in the program? What did you have to do to get in? Did you drive better knowing they were watching you in order to get in or where you a lucky influencer that got early access?

Like it or not, Tesla made a game of it by giving it a score and nerds by the tens of thousands (who paid thousands of dollars) stepped up to play that game.

Dewg - You're not wrong. Like every driving instructor told us when we were 16, driving is a privilege. Full stop. I'm under no false delusion that FSD Beta is BETA software and understand the responsibilities that accompany it's use. No doubt Tesla, and myself as a Tesla investor, want the best of the best in the program so they don't give Tesla or FSD a black eye doing dumb things with it but like it or not, Tesla has outlined rules, set a score and given us "the button. The reason this thread exists is the time is unclear.

Keeping a perfect safety score is not easy. How long did you keep a good score before being admitted into the Beta? I don't agree with the statement that improving our driving is like lying on a resume. Keeping a good score seems to be a reasonable (and acceptable by Tesla) method of seeing if somebody is willing to show meticulous attention to cars cutting you off, lights that will change yellow...red and anticipating any hard breaking events.

Are you in the program? What did you have to do to get in? Did you drive better knowing they were watching you in order to get in or where you a lucky influencer that got early access?

Like it or not, Tesla made a game of it by giving it a score and nerds by the tens of thousands (who paid thousands of dollars) stepped up to play that game.
I had a score of 98-99, and about a month before I got into the Beta (I got in on Christmas Day). The only change I made was to reduce following distance. In Southern California, drivers naturally follow closely due to heavy traffic. I'm a normally defensive driver, and was taught 1 car length per 10MPH following distance, so I simply backed off a little more than I normally had previously. In fact, I used AP as much as possible while on freeways with a following distance set to 6 (where it still is today on FSD Beta). Otherwise, all the other metrics were high enough scores due to my natural driving habits.

I had also had a Chevy Bolt previously, so was used to 1-pedal driving. That translated well to Tesla, so I rarely used the brake pedal, and naturally slow down much sooner than others, preferring to coast to the red light instead of braking hard just before it.

I agree with you that improving your driving habits is excellent, and everyone should do it. However, most people have been driving for years and their habits are engrained. Changing them is not easy, and I'd argue most people, once admitted to FSD, will fall back into their old habits quickly. I've ready many comments from people that said "I'm in the Beta!! Finally, I can drive the car the way I want again!". That type of comment tells me they were not a terribly safe driver to begin with.

One final thought, as I'm mentioned before, everyone paid for FSD with the set of features that was delivered to you. People who say "I paid $X thousand dollars for FSD, I should be in the Beta" are mistaken. The Beta is a separate program you have to request, prove you're a safe driver (hopefully naturally), and then ONLY if Tesla needs more testers in your area or more data points for validation, MAY accept you into the program. No one is entitled to be in the Beta.

Very interesting points.

Being on the safety score is actually not too bad.

I've personally found it not that difficult to keep a perfect 100 score. It just had to do a few minor adjustment to my driving habits in the beginning.

I still enjoy the car plenty as is.
Good point MickY. I don't think it's hard to keep a good score either but with the score looming over your head, it's just stressful. I love one pedal driving and I think the perfect feathered stop is akin to the perfect shift back when that was a thing. I use auto-pilot as much as possible but even it breaks harder than I would for lights. The frustrating part for me is all three of my bad score days came as a result of braking for a yellow light, nothing dramatic with ABS and wheels screeching. Just using the breaks to make sure it stopped in time. Was I speeding, no, but I would have run a red light if I relied on one pedal breaking, yes. The stress that someone could pull out in front of you and ruin your score for the day....month. That stress almost makes you hesitant to use your breaks, which one could argue, is creating even worse habits.

Reactions: Sigma4Life