Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

severe range anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a proxy for how much
energy is in the battery using the EPA efficiency numbers (~240 Wh/mile for the Model 3, if I remember correctly). It does NOT mean that you can drive that far unless your energy use is at or below the EPA efficiency number.

This is going to be an adjustment coming from the Bolt that does a pretty good job for "if you continue to drive that you have been recently, using the HVAC to the extent you have been, this is roughly how far you'll get". Then, if you put the dash display in it's most data specific mode, it also provides an upper and lower limit for it's estimates so your estimated miles left is a range.

If, for example, I turn off the HVAC the estimated miles within seconds the range estimate adjusts to reflect this. It's really nice, I like it.

With the Model 3's >300mi nominal full range and several months of BEV experience under my belt I'll be fine but for someone new to BEVs stepping into an SR range vehicle it'll be a bit of hole, in my estimation.

I have had my Model 3 since July 3rd and I am not sure it has gotten much under 50%. I have taken several trips with it already, but I guess just not that far.

I charge to 80% every night for my daily 30 mile commute, but I take it to 90 or 100% when going on a trip.

I have tons of electrical tools and knowledge and so I can basically find a way to charge anywhere (even if it means wiring in my own circuit).

I know this means I should be keeping my charge set to a lower SOC every night, but I like having plenty of range in case of a natural disaster.

This car is amazing!

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Don't have a Tesla yet, but my father have a Renault Zoe. If we don't get home with less than 3 miles on the battery we have been driving too slow!

Never had any range anxiety :)

- After 2 weeks you fully know the capabilities of your vehicle and range anxiety will be gone by then, enjoy!

This is going to be an adjustment coming from the Bolt that does a pretty good job for "if you continue to drive that you have been recently, using the HVAC to the extent you have been, this is roughly how far you'll get". Then, if you put the dash display in it's most data specific mode, it also provides an upper and lower limit for it's estimates so your estimated miles left is a range.

If, for example, I turn off the HVAC the estimated miles within seconds the range estimate adjusts to reflect this. It's really nice, I like it.

With the Model 3's >300mi nominal full range and several months of BEV experience under my belt I'll be fine but for someone new to BEVs stepping into an SR range vehicle it'll be a bit of hole, in my estimation.
With local driving, assuming you start with a reasonable charge level, range doesn't matter. Why pay attention to it? I certainly don't and my car has far less range than a Model 3 (and I have to drive 70+ miles to buy groceries or see a movie).

On a road trip, navigation will give you a %SOC estimate at your next stop and it will update this number in real time as you drive. It is a powerful tool and offers plenty of information to get you to your next destination. Nav will also warn you to slow down if it thinks you might not make your destination and will recommend a speed to stay below. There is plenty of information to get you to your next charge stop. It just isn't expressed in miles or kilometers.

Try it. It works well.

With local driving, assuming you start with a reasonable charge level, range doesn't matter.

For some definition of "local". ;) I weekly go on a 2+ hr round trip (with some errand running at the other end) which often is followed up immediately with another 1+ hr round trip jaunt. Even though it's "local", as I'm only ever charging at home, most of my driving is fairly lengthy. A factor of living in the ex-urbs of Texas.

<solid info> Try it.

I definitely will (in 3 weeks, 2 hours, and 48 minutes :) ), thanks for the insight.

Model 3 LR RWD

Just completed a 1,000 mile road trip made all 1,000 miles in one day. (15.5 hours) I arived at each super charger with 4-7 percent SOC, charged enough to reach the next super charger with 10 percent buffer left, then drove at 80-87 MPH and would arrive with 4-7 percent. Zero range anxiety the NAV computer is very accurate and after the first few miles of fast driving it readjusted and was spot on.

I once got my Roadster down to "WARNING: BATTERY DEPLETED. STOP DRIVING AND CHARGE VEHICLE"

I was still about three miles from home, so I gently eased it on across town and into my garage. I immediately plugged in the mobile charger, and then I got a message saying that "recovery charging" at 240v would be very slow, and I should use the 120v (level 1) cable if possible. So, I switched to the 120v cable, which I'd never really used before, and gradually brought it back to life.

That was when I hadn't owned the car for very long. I feel like I understand it better now, and that shouldn't happen again.

image.jpg
Did you get a Wh/mi reading for us? LoL I'm interested to hear how your experience compares to Troy's
current road trip almost all highway 80-90 MPH

• Informative
The person that went -10 miles with the family in the car at 3 am in the cold wins. I'm new to the EV life so I'm fairly conservative and nervous about range. If the car shows I'll arrive in the single digits or shows that message that says: "Drive under 70 mph to reach your destination" then I'll always stop for a quick top up at a supercharger. As a rule of thumb I try to not let my battery ever fall below 20% if possible.

That being said, don't you guys know that heavier neutrons settle to the bottom of your battery pack and by running it low on electrons you can clog up your expensive Kalman filter?

The person that went -10 miles with the family in the car at 3 am in the cold wins. I'm new to the EV life so I'm fairly conservative and nervous about range. If the car shows I'll arrive in the single digits or shows that message that says: "Drive under 70 mph to reach your destination" then I'll always stop for a quick top up at a supercharger. As a rule of thumb I try to not let my battery ever fall below 20% if possible.

That being said, don't you guys know that heavier neutrons settle to the bottom of your battery pack and by running it low on electrons you can clog up your expensive Kalman filter?
Dam I hadn’t thought about the heavier electrons clogging up my DC inverter.... ( :

The trip I am currently on I don’t worry about my range until it reports less then 5 percent at arrival. Now I imagine that will change in the winter time and temps as the heater eats range... but that will be for another post in another season.

Dam I hadn’t thought about the heavier electrons clogging up my DC inverter.... ( :

The trip I am currently on I don’t worry about my range until it reports less then 5 percent at arrival. Now I imagine that will change in the winter time and temps as the heater eats range... but that will be for another post in another season.
My first cross-country road trip was supposed to be this summer, into Western Canada. Late Sept delivery though means my first 1000+ mile trip will be Houston-NYC in December, so I'll be trading the extreme ranges of the wide open spaces in the upper middle of the continent for the cold nibbling at my battery's bits.

At least that's a relatively SC dense path once I reach Virgina, especially if I swing on the south fork past Philadelphia, so the colder weather shouldn't be as much a concern. Only question is if I actually drive into the city or park in NJ/Staten Island and take transport into the city for the few days I'm there. Haven't looked into the question yet so I'm not sure what the options are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue one
Nope never waited till E. Didn’t want to suck particles into the engine from the bottom of the tank lol. Was that a myth I was told?

Myth. If you run your car low on gas all the time, the particles never have a chance to accumulate. Change the filter once every year or two.
I've been driving for 20+ years, most of that in older Chrysler cars from the 70s and 80s, and I almost never refill before it gets below 1/4 tank.

7 miles indicated left. It's pretty interesting what happens when you get that low. The car warns you that the battery may drain faster than the indicated mileage. Acceleration is decreased - the top battery draw bar has partial dots indicating you can't achieve full acceleration. Zero range anxiety - did it intentionally and I was just a few miles from home. I was going to drive around the block ~ 2 miles more to get it even lower, but didn't see the point...

Hey Now,

Our driving is in the mountains. Then two and from Denver once a month or so -- heading down we lose about 1500 feet of elevation, coming home we gain that much and go over two passes, hit 11,000 ft.

Here's the pics of what I'm getting so far.

I quit jonezing about range, life is too short. Instead I just drive. I have no idea if the rack makes a difference. I know my snow tires do.

I do give it the juice. I have a radar detector, but up here the State Patrol is really good with instant on. Most times I'm doing 7 over the speed limit. Speeding tickets are a bummer.

The last drive was coming home last night from Avon - elevation gain of maybe 300 feet.

Peace and love,

Post - 3.jpg
Post - 5.jpg
Post - 1.jpg
Post - 4.jpg
Post - 2.jpg

Reactions: halfricanguy