Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft-close frunk mod?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a nice kit. Just watched the install video and there’s no cutting of wires at all, as the new loom has plugs that fit directly into existing connectors. I’m very tempted. I wonder where they get the kit from and control unit as I doubt it’s custom made for the Model S at that price.

I bought a kit and it’s completely custom for the S. Everything is plug and play, no need to cut or splice wires and 100% reversible.

Part of the kit includes motorized actuators and as for the soft close latch, they made a custom bracket that adds onto the existing latch where you would piggyback off the oem system.

it’s pretty neat and I end up using my frunk more now since I always back into a parking spot.

Reactions: gbailey
I bought a kit and it’s completely custom for the S. Everything is plug and play, no need to cut or splice wires and 100% reversible.

Part of the kit includes motorized actuators and as for the soft close latch, they made a custom bracket that adds onto the existing latch where you would piggyback off the oem system.

it’s pretty neat and I end up using my frunk more now since I always back into a parking spot.

How long did it take you to fit? Are any of the wires visible? What brand are the electrically powered rams for lifting the frunk? Are they as good quality as the units fitted to the rear hatch?

I’d be fitting the unit to a brand new car and I want to be careful of what I fit. Could you post some pics of your fitted kit?

thanks!

How long did it take you to fit? Are any of the wires visible? What brand are the electrically powered rams for lifting the frunk? Are they as good quality as the units fitted to the rear hatch?

I’d be fitting the unit to a brand new car and I want to be careful of what I fit. Could you post some pics of your fitted kit?

thanks!

A video I watched for a similar kit from them for the model 3 frunk said installation takes 1-2 hours. For comparison, the video said their motorized trunk kit for the model 3 takes 3-5 hours to install.

Right now, they only offer a frunk kit for the face-lift model S.

thanks!

Total install time took me about ~2.5hrs. I’m a stickler for doing a clean install so I spent a lot of time taping up the wires, cutting it down as it was too long and resoldering the connections etc.

as far as brand of motor I did not see any markings.

I didn’t take a lot of detailed pics but I’ll share what I took.

Mine is a 2018, so less then a yr old. everything is plug and play and 100% reversible.

Attachments

• 25B84551-ED80-4E57-80A2-FB36B855CFDC.jpeg
    25B84551-ED80-4E57-80A2-FB36B855CFDC.jpeg
    571.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 03258DF7-BF7E-4B88-9941-7F9E8AF421AF.jpeg
    03258DF7-BF7E-4B88-9941-7F9E8AF421AF.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 106
  • DB596096-CABC-4712-960E-2DF95904C0CE.jpeg
    DB596096-CABC-4712-960E-2DF95904C0CE.jpeg
    512.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 8E856B91-97B7-41A6-BCF9-7679C1493604.jpeg
    8E856B91-97B7-41A6-BCF9-7679C1493604.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 75
Total install time took me about ~2.5hrs. I’m a stickler for doing a clean install so I spent a lot of time taping up the wires, cutting it down as it was too long and resoldering the connections etc.

as far as brand of motor I did not see any markings.

I didn’t take a lot of detailed pics but I’ll share what I took.

Mine is a 2018, so less then a yr old. everything is plug and play and 100% reversible.

Looks great, thanks so much for sharing. Some final questions:

- Has it needed any adjustment since installation or is it working well?

- Does it stop closing if there’s an obstruction like the factory install for the trunk?

- Can you open the frunk accidentally when the car is in motion from the screen or key fob or is that option disabled?

I’m just trying to think if there are any safety reasons why I shouldn’t go ahead with an install as it seems a great kit.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks great, thanks so much for sharing. Some final questions:

- Has it needed any adjustment since installation or is it working well?

- Does it stop closing if there’s an obstruction like the factory install for the trunk?

- Can you open the frunk accidentally when the car is in motion from the screen or key fob or is that option disabled?

I’m just trying to think if there are any safety reasons why I shouldn’t go ahead with an install as it seems a great kit.

Thanks!

So no adjustments once you set it up and configure the settings.

As for it stop closing if you put pressure or force against it - Yes it stops at whatever position it’s at.

As for accidentally opening while driving. Whatever safety option that Tesla put in place remains. This unit doesn’t override Tesla’s safety parameters. With that said you have 0 options to even activate frunk from menu while car is in D or R. As for using the remote to open Frunk while in gear , does not work. Frunk is locked.

I had your same concerns but it doesn’t override Tesla’s safety - it really is super convenient bc you can back in and load things into the frunk without having to manually open or close.

The one caveat that we are still trying to figure out is that the open and close sequence is not the same as in the video.

We are still trying to resolve this. In order to close the frunk via remote,app, or thru the menu screen, you have to cycle a lock, unlock, lock to close.

we aren’t sure why...

I have been able to bypass this by pressing the frunk emergency button and it closes.

Hope this helps.

So no adjustments once you set it up and configure the settings.

As for it stop closing if you put pressure or force against it - Yes it stops at whatever position it’s at.

As for accidentally opening while driving. Whatever safety option that Tesla put in place remains. This unit doesn’t override Tesla’s safety parameters. With that said you have 0 options to even activate frunk from menu while car is in D or R. As for using the remote to open Frunk while in gear , does not work. Frunk is locked.

I had your same concerns but it doesn’t override Tesla’s safety - it really is super convenient bc you can back in and load things into the frunk without having to manually open or close.

The one caveat that we are still trying to figure out is that the open and close sequence is not the same as in the video.

We are still trying to resolve this. In order to close the frunk via remote,app, or thru the menu screen, you have to cycle a lock, unlock, lock to close.

we aren’t sure why...

I have been able to bypass this by pressing the frunk emergency button and it closes.

Hope this helps.
Great, that’s super-helpful to know. So report back when you have the closing issue fixed and what needed to be done to resolve the issue.
I think I’ll place an order as soon as my new car arrives. I’m waiting for a new Model S LR Raven and cant wait for it to arrive!

I searched around and didn't find anything... has anyone done a soft-close frunk mod? I imagine there must exist in the world a powered latch mechanism that can be installed in the nose to gently pull down the hood. Maybe someone has found a good donor trunk part that would fit?

The is one for the Model 3, and it’s great. I have it on mine. Have too get it for my S.

I'm one of the cheapest persons around, and I would pay full price for this if it were for the classic model (pre-facelift). What ashame that its not compatible. I'm assuming its just the strut that wont work.
me too

I contacted their rep, they told me it is due to strut design but they are looking into it, I own RWD S85 with a huge frunk and I would love to use it more often...