TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Soft-close frunk mod?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by GarrickS, Aug 5, 2017.

1. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

I searched around and didn't find anything... has anyone done a soft-close frunk mod? I imagine there must exist in the world a powered latch mechanism that can be installed in the nose to gently pull down the hood. Maybe someone has found a good donor trunk part that would fit?

2. David.85D

David.85D Member

I like the idea

3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Not a technical problem, but a legal/safety one. That's why Tesla didn't do it in the first place.

4. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

What is the legal or safety problem here? There's nothing in the vehicle code that prevents this. I can't imagine why a motorized latch would be less secure than a non-motorized latch. They've been fine on trunks for many decades.

5. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

6. MasterT

MasterT Member

Yeah, I'm wondering that too. For safety reasons, in case the power is completely cut, they could still have implemented a manual mechanical pull opener - the same as it is done now. Maybe there is some kind of regulation against motorized lock on hoods - in case the lock malfunctions while you're driving resulting in the hood popping up ....

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

My upgrade to a facelift fascia resulted in a soft close. I just drop the hood from about 15 inches and voila, it locks in place. But to make this happen the shop doing the work had to make a custom latch mechanism, as its not the same on a nosecone car. How that was done it in the thread along with a few photos.

8. David.85D

David.85D Member

9. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

From CFR 571.113 :

§ 571.113 Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
    S1. Purpose and scope. This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems.
    S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.
    S3. Definitions. Hood means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage, or battery compartment.
    S4. Requirements.
    S4.1 Each hood must be provided with a hood latch system.
    S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.​

Pretty simple. Don't know why you couldn't have soft close.

10. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Ah, simple. Must be why so many of the thousands of models of cars made in the last 100 years have it...;)

I'd like to have it, too. I rarely use the frunk because I hate closing it. I hope somebody comes up with a solution.

11. BrettS

BrettS Member

For what it’s worth, if you use the frunk more you’ll get over this. When I first got the car I felt the same way, but my 10 year old is obsessed with the frunk and insists on using it at every opportunity (and there are cases where it’s useful as well - I almost always put my groceries in the frunk because I pull straight into the garage, so the frunk ends up right next to the door into the house and it makes unloading the groceries much easier.)

However, my point is that having used the frunk so much it’s really second nature now to close it gently, then give it a little extra push to get it latched.

12. scottm

scottm Active Member

#12 scottm, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Just that you have to have empty hands to close the frunk is the issue...and reason why I don't prefer frunk over trunk. My hatch has power-open and close, which is as soft close as it gets.

Let's face it, you use the frunk to get stuff out, half the time. So hands are full by definition for 50% usage for when you want the thing closed. When putting stuff in, hands are empty for those closes. But you had to first open it with full hands when when putting that stuff in. Another awkward moment, reaching the gaping lip and pulling lid up with bags dangling.

With hands full you'd have to "elbow the lid down" enough to click at the first contact for the closer to pull down rest of way for a soft-closer. And that would still be an awkward / non-graceful maneuver each time you use the frunk.

For these reasons, people always have to put stuff down on ground. Putting in or taking out. Just to deal with the lid. Many people don't care about frunk size because they'll never use it because of this inconvenience.

I don't think soft-close frunk is enough.. gotta be full power.

13. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

I'm with BerTX on this. After a year with the car, I still hate using the frunk. I don't like treating it so carefully and I don't like leaving fingerprints. I just want to set it down gently and let a motor pull it down.

14. GarrickS

GarrickS Member