Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft-close frunk mod?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched around and didn't find anything... has anyone done a soft-close frunk mod? I imagine there must exist in the world a powered latch mechanism that can be installed in the nose to gently pull down the hood. Maybe someone has found a good donor trunk part that would fit?

What is the legal or safety problem here? There's nothing in the vehicle code that prevents this. I can't imagine why a motorized latch would be less secure than a non-motorized latch. They've been fine on trunks for many decades.
Yeah, I'm wondering that too. For safety reasons, in case the power is completely cut, they could still have implemented a manual mechanical pull opener - the same as it is done now. Maybe there is some kind of regulation against motorized lock on hoods - in case the lock malfunctions while you're driving resulting in the hood popping up ....

From CFR 571.113 :

§ 571.113 Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
S1. Purpose and scope. This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems.
S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.
S3. Definitions. Hood means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage, or battery compartment.
S4. Requirements.
S4.1 Each hood must be provided with a hood latch system.
S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.​

Pretty simple. Don't know why you couldn't have soft close.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
From CFR 571.113 :

§ 571.113 Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
S1. Purpose and scope. This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems.
S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.
S3. Definitions. Hood means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage, or battery compartment.
S4. Requirements.
S4.1 Each hood must be provided with a hood latch system.
S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.​

Pretty simple. Don't know why you couldn't have soft close.
Ah, simple. Must be why so many of the thousands of models of cars made in the last 100 years have it...;)

I'd like to have it, too. I rarely use the frunk because I hate closing it. I hope somebody comes up with a solution.

I rarely use the frunk because I hate closing it.

For what it’s worth, if you use the frunk more you’ll get over this. When I first got the car I felt the same way, but my 10 year old is obsessed with the frunk and insists on using it at every opportunity (and there are cases where it’s useful as well - I almost always put my groceries in the frunk because I pull straight into the garage, so the frunk ends up right next to the door into the house and it makes unloading the groceries much easier.)

However, my point is that having used the frunk so much it’s really second nature now to close it gently, then give it a little extra push to get it latched.

Just that you have to have empty hands to close the frunk is the issue...and reason why I don't prefer frunk over trunk. My hatch has power-open and close, which is as soft close as it gets.

Let's face it, you use the frunk to get stuff out, half the time. So hands are full by definition for 50% usage for when you want the thing closed. When putting stuff in, hands are empty for those closes. But you had to first open it with full hands when when putting that stuff in. Another awkward moment, reaching the gaping lip and pulling lid up with bags dangling.

With hands full you'd have to "elbow the lid down" enough to click at the first contact for the closer to pull down rest of way for a soft-closer. And that would still be an awkward / non-graceful maneuver each time you use the frunk.

For these reasons, people always have to put stuff down on ground. Putting in or taking out. Just to deal with the lid. Many people don't care about frunk size because they'll never use it because of this inconvenience.

I don't think soft-close frunk is enough.. gotta be full power.

Last edited:
However, my point is that having used the frunk so much it’s really second nature now to close it gently, then give it a little extra push to get it latched.

I'm with BerTX on this. After a year with the car, I still hate using the frunk. I don't like treating it so carefully and I don't like leaving fingerprints. I just want to set it down gently and let a motor pull it down.

Reactions: IchDochNicht
I, too, wish there was a better way to open and close the frunk. Why can't we have a system like the one on the hatch - just with an additional latch? There must be a way to solve this!

Can you imagine all the Porsche owners, who have the same challenge whenever they need to reach their frunk? I wonder, if they have come-up with a solution.

I know it may sound dumb, but I don't use the frunk because I am concerned everytime i press down to latch it, I may be denting the hood.

And yes... another reason, the powerliftgate for the trunk is awesome. I wish the doors were also like the model x... self opening and closing. Oh well...I guess in 5y+ when I get the next version of the MS maybe. :p