Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the other companies give you all the promised features and standard features from day one and not trickling in features that are standard 2-3 years later because the car came with only half of its supposedly standard features installed.

This is not a positive, this is a negative.

Sure, if you thought the 2016 already had the 2018 features, that's a fail.
However, buying a car in 2016 that will have the features available in 2018 instead of needing to buy the 2016 car for transportation, then selling it and buying the 2018 version is a win in my book.

I've read a lot of the posts here and I'm surprised no one has mentioned how fast it acquires lane markings and allows Autosteer now.

Before, you'd have to drive on a street/highway for a few seconds with black lane lines (on the display) for the steering wheel to show up. Now, the steering wheel shows up almost instantly turning onto a road with lanes or when lanes appear. Amazing.
Just got this update last night. Can't wait to try AP with it after reading this thread. Has anyone tested going over small hills yet? Did they fix the swerve of death?
YUP :)

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Just got this update last night. Can't wait to try AP with it after reading this thread. Has anyone tested going over small hills yet? Did they fix the swerve of death?

Absolutely YES 10.4 has fixed the "serve of death" when approaching crests / hills / tight rolling curves. My daily commute has 3 areas that I have never been able to use AP on (even my 85D AP1 from yesteryear) I had AP on and hands ready to take over and crested and continued over two hills AND traversed the infamous 85S to 285S spaghetti junction interchange effortlessly. NEVER before have I been able to do that.

Vastly improved going over crests and bottoming our in valleys. Won’t reiterate what others have already said, but I have a really hellish setup in my home town that it would easily fail at that it now breezes through. Hills were definitely a “hold the wheel tight” situation previously, but are wildly improved.

Reactions: THXULTRA
Because the other companies give you all the promised features and standard features from day one and not trickling in features that are standard 2-3 years later because the car came with only half of its supposedly standard features installed.

This is not a positive, this is a negative.
Strange you don’t like Tesla’s over promise under deliver strategy. It works on the rest of us lemmings. I’ve actually enjoyed watching the development of AP2. Come on Elon, let us down some more.

I’ve definitely noticed an improvement with AP2, but I also had a couple false decelerations yesterday on my way home that I never had a problem with before. It seemed to be slowing down for a couple of overhead signs when I was on the highway. No problems this morning. It’s negotiating where the highway ends that it couldn’t do before. It still can’t handle the very curvy, well marked back roads, but that’s not surprising. I like driving the curvy back roads myself, but it would amazing to watch my car do it.

I’ve definitely noticed an improvement with AP2, but I also had a couple false decelerations yesterday on my way home that I never had a problem with before. It seemed to be slowing down for a couple of overhead signs when I was on the highway. No problems this morning. It’s negotiating where the highway ends that it couldn’t do before. It still can’t handle the very curvy, well marked back roads, but that’s not surprising. I like driving the curvy back roads myself, but it would amazing to watch my car do it.

Are these curvy back roads higher or lower than the immediately surrounding terrain?

Absolutely YES 10.4 has fixed the "serve of death" when approaching crests / hills / tight rolling curves. My daily commute has 3 areas that I have never been able to use AP on (even my 85D AP1 from yesteryear) I had AP on and hands ready to take over and crested and continued over two hills AND traversed the infamous 85S to 285S spaghetti junction interchange effortlessly. NEVER before have I been able to do that.

Wow this is huge!! Thanks for the update. Going to test tonight on the hill by my house also... It always did the swerve of death on it so will be a good test for me. Great hearing you are seeing these improvements!

Are these curvy back roads higher or lower than the immediately surrounding terrain?
The road itself is fairly flat with maybe same banked corners. Tree lined road with uphill slope on one side and downhill slope on the other. On the side of big hill. It’s extremely curvy though. I take it everyday on my way home. My tires are worn out already at 15,000 miles. I blame this road. And my right foot.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: mhan00 and mongo
Why is no one addressing the elephant in the room? "Front Trunk?" Really? Horribly disappointing. Everything else is meaningless.

Screenshot_20180316-101320.png

HUH? Just because Tesla is not showing you the information, doesn't mean they don't have the information. I can 100% guarantee you they have the ability to show the surrounding cars in front of you, they are just choosing not to show it for whatever reason. I also don't doubt. they know a. car / truck / motorcycle etc, they are just choosing for whatever reason to not give it to us. Perhaps it's all MobileEye IP, perhaps it's not 100% yet, but either way, they most definitely have it, and it's very accurate, maybe I'll make a video to show it.

You may be right. The display of different avatars on the main and adjacents tracks was available with AP1 (based on MobileEye IP).

Sure, if you thought the 2016 already had the 2018 features, that's a fail.
However, buying a car in 2016 that will have the features available in 2018 instead of needing to buy the 2016 car for transportation, then selling it and buying the 2018 version is a win in my book.

Nope its more like the 2016 car isn't advertised with 2018 feature. but the 2016 car is advertised with having 2016 features but when the buyer purchases it only to later discovers the so-called 2016 are not there.

• Disagree
Reactions: Robwoodruff