Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, something about turning a lane grey if it thinks it’s more optimal to be in or something(and maybe automatically moving to it when autopilot on nav is enabled). Hard to figure out exactly what that part means without seeing it.

Yup, you are right. I hope @BigD0g, @nemSoma, or someone else can post a video of Navigate on Autopilot soon!

It appears to be using the rear-facing cameras for blind spot warning, and AP1 doesn't have those.

And yet, they promised blind spot detection for AP1! Presumably they were going to use the parking sensors, which turned out to be impossible (as any automotive engineer could have and probably did tell Elon). Yet more Elon optimism and failed promises.

As I understand it, auto lane change isn't always available, doesn't always execute properly for everybody, or doesn't necessarily respond the way people want it to.

hmmm?! For me, auto lane change always works if I try to use on an allowed road such as a divided interstate highway. Of course, if I try to use auto lane change on city streets, it won't work but that is as expected. So what I am curious about since apparently, auto lane change will now be rolled into auto steer, is what will happen when I use auto steer on a multi lane city street. Will auto lane change now work on those types of roads too now or will the car disengage auto steer for me to manually lane change? I do agree that auto lane change needs to be consistent. It will be interesting to see how that works. I am hoping that rolling auto lane change into auto steer is a sign that Tesla is preparing to expand auto lane change to more situations.

Any options for an audio warning when blinker is on and vehicle detected in blind spot?

That would be much more useful than the line changing to red on the display.

Not sure I would like an audio warning. I briefly enabled the audio warning for exceeding the speed limit and turned it off again because it would really startle me so bad that I would almost veer off the road. A visual warning on the screen is much better for me.

Ok.

first thing I thought when I heard it'll have this option. was very helpful in my benz. i hope so!

I don't want to have to look at the display to determine if I can change lanes. All that does is add to distracted driving. My wife's Town & Country provides an audible alert which I at first didn't like by now find it helpful. The audible alert is going to reduce the chance of a lane change accident more then the driver having to take their eyes off the road to check the display. Best compromise is just to include a setting to enable/disable the audible alert. My underlying principle is the more I can reduce having to look at the display the safer I will be. Same reason I'd like to see some additional voice commands.

I don't want to have to look at the display to determine if I can change lanes. All that does is add to distracted driving. My wife's Town & Country provides an audible alert which I at first didn't like by now find it helpful. The audible alert is going to reduce the chance of a lane change accident more then the driver having to take their eyes off the road to check the display. Best compromise is just to include a setting to enable/disable the audible alert. My underlying principle is the more I can reduce having to look at the display the safer I will be. Same reason I'd like to see some additional voice commands.

I guess it depends on what type of sound they use for the auditory alert. I just know that I hate the auditory alert for speeding. It is too loud and too startling for me. If Tesla used something similar for blind spots, I won't use it. If they use a chime that is more subtle, I might use it.

Sorry if this comes off as complaining/whining/ranting... but dang, this is a huge bummer for AP1 peeps... I literally bought my first used 2015 SP85D two weeks ago after saving enough to purchase a used Model S (didn't want a Model 3, the S is something I really think they did a fantastic job on)... Wasn't expecting Tesla to provide full autonomy for AP1 long term, but also wasn't expecting AP1 to have development stopped in v9 altogether. Looks like AP1 vehicles have peaked with 8.1, which is really disheartening... I love my vehicle, but couldn't have the feeling of "being stuck" anymore running through my mind.

For example, while I get the quality of the camera might be less than AP2.5 vehicles, but it's really disheartening that they didn't use the front or rear camera to at least provide something for previous owners to try out. I've seen many owners replace the rear camera with the newer 2016 model to bring the quality on-par with newer models. In this case, this is something that could have easily been improved/taken advantage of for AP1 vehicles at little to no cost (if you had already replaced it).

As someone mentioned, I'm also really waiting for SMS support (something I've had on Ford Sync (which is literally the most hodge podge system known to man for car software)). I have heard other's say, "Oh, texting isn't safe, it's too districting", but neither is a putting a full fledged web browser or the fact to have to read my cell phone vs use simply voice commands to read/respond.

To top off things; the Tesla store didn't ship my whole order and won't respond to my emails asking when the other half of the order will ship and the driver door handle failed (luckily I read the forums to expect that, just didn't think it'd happen a week after owning the car). Sorry to vent, but I feel the investment I made in Tesla couldn't have been made at a worse time if I tried :(

Last edited: