Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got to try it tonight. Kind of amazing to see the car easentially navigating itself.

A few observations:
1. Had a guy speed up to get in my blind spot and then stay there after I accepted the suggestion to change to that lane. Pressed a bit on the accelerator and my car overtook him, completing the lane change

2. One time where the lane split, with the right side exiting the freeway, my car turned on the *left* blinker to indicate not taking the split. Kinda a weird behavior, but ok.

3. For one exit I had to take, there’s a lane split a few hundred feet before, with the new lane being the one I have to take. My car automatically changed lanes into that one immediately into the split(it showed this happening on the IC, so not an error). That struck me as pretty complex planning behavior(since it started moving over before the other lane properly existed, knowing it would need to be there, and without bothering suggesting it as a lane change first).

I upgraded to 42.2 this morning. I drove about 20 miles after the update. Then, I drove about 35 miles on the highway this evening. I didn’t notice anything different with the update. I know it said that Navigation on Autopilot required updated maps. But, I didn’t have the option to use NoA when using AP. I would have thought that I had the updated maps by now.

Did you remember to turn NoA on? Have to go into autopilot settings and turn it on.

Like others, just got the update for our model x 75D HW2.5. Shot some sample footage at night passing a car as well as taking a transition. Overall pretty impressed. Definitely feels like the beginning of more things to come.

Reactions: NateB
The new UI seems pretty easy to navigate, but one thing I could not make out was what the traffic light in the media player does? Nothing happened when I pushed. Anyone know?
Did you try other things besides pushing it? Apparently it's now perfectly acceptable to have buttons which are operated by swiping them in some direction, or by pressing and holding them down, or some other non-obvious mode of interaction.

From the videos I've seen, when a radio station that has digital sub-channels is playing, the "HD" symbol appears in that position (in the US) and you can select the alternate channel(s). Maybe something similar is happening with Radio 3, only the wrong icon is being used?

You must be thinking of the driver confirmation for lane changes. Yeah, on the surface, asking the driver for confirmation to make a lane change that the driver could do on their own already might seem like a gimmick. But there is more to Nav on AP than the driver confirmation. Nav on AP can handle on off ramps without driver input. That's not a gimmick!

That's not true. the car has always been able to handle on/off ramps as long as you are in the exit ramp lane leading to another on-ramp. The V9 does the same thing so there is no difference. When it came time for a diff. such as merging with other cars during the on-ramp. V9 fails. Therefore V9 provides no new functionality / capability.

The car can manage on off ramps now without driver input. That not just fulfills a promised EAP feature but represents a new capability. The car can now handle more of highway driving than before.

Working 5% of the time when no cars are around in perfect condition is not fulfilling the promise of EAP!

Are people really shocked that replacing a sensor that saw 4 meters with one that saw 100 meters won't bring about more confidence in initiating lane change? You are acting like your car didn't lane change BEFORE V9. It simply has more confidence because of the new sensor to initiate/suggest lane changes. But it hasn't improved in any capacity or feature other than slowing down to a complete stop to make a lane change (which is dangerous) or accelerating a-bit to.

Last edited:
That's not true. the car has always been able to handle on/off ramps as long as you are in the exit ramp lane leading to another on-ramp. The V9 does the same thing so there is no difference. When it came time for a diff. such as merging with other cars during the on-ramp. V9 fails. Therefore V9 provides no new functionality / capability.

With V9, the car can now move from a normal lane to an exit lane without driver input. That is a new functionality.

I can't wait to see something like this on the next Tesla release notes screen, it seems tailor-made for this forum. Just substitute "camera on top" for "tuner". NOTE: I didn't show the spoiler at the end.

Helix.PNG

Tried the NoA in "mad max" lane change mode on this morning's commute. What speed drop are others seeing in this mode before a lane change "suggestion" pops up? Mine dropped about 6mph before initiating. Hardly what I'd describe as demonic robot juggernaut driving behavior. Other than that, it was a pretty bland drive in. I had to disengage for part of the drive because the Tesla nav plotted a different way in to work than I normally take. Tomorrow morning, I'll upload the google maps version from my phone first and test it door to door.

Texas roads have a strange feature at some interchanges between highways. You have to get off the highway onto a frontage road, then enter the second highway some distance down the road. The NoA correctly plotted the exit and the rest of the course, but turned off once I exited on to the frontage road and stayed off even after I had entered the second highway.

p.s. When leaving the garage this morning, my neighbor's garbage can displayed as an SUV on my screen. o_O

Last edited:

Working 5% of the time when no cars are around in perfect condition is not fulfilling the promise of EAP!

Are people really shocked that replacing a sensor that saw 4 meters with one that saw 100 meters won't bring about more confidence in initiating lane change? You are acting like your car didn't lane change BEFORE V9. It simply has more confidence because of the new sensor to initiate/suggest lane changes. But it hasn't improved in any capacity or feature other than slowing down to a complete stop to make a lane change (which is dangerous) or accelerating a-bit to.

Hahahahahaha, please watch more YouTube vids and share your wisdom, please, please, please

All of us who actually own the cars and drive them every day value your opinion so much!