Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“You can now use the Calendar, Energy, Rear Camera, and Phone applications at the same time as Media Player. When Media Player is open, these applications display above the Media Player window and can be dragged up or down to adjust the viewing position.”

So .42 has two display modes: Map-above-App OR App-above-Media-player? What's their obsession with maps and media players?

OMG. The new complaint is “it’s not big enough”. Really o_Oo_O
"That's what she said."
- Michael Scott

But seriously- it's not that the floater isn't big enough. It's more so that for a bunch (many? most?) of S/X drivers, the camera view has become an integral part of the driving experience. So much so, that it'd be better, in my view, for Tesla to acknowledge that and at least provide the option to keep the camera feed static. The floating nature of the window indicates that it won't be given priority "sticky" status that I feel is deserved. Just my opinion.

“You can now use the Calendar, Energy, Rear Camera, and Phone applications at the same time as Media Player. When Media Player is open, these applications display above the Media Player window and can be dragged up or down to adjust the viewing position.”

So .42 has two display modes: Map-above-App OR App-above-Media-player? What's their obsession with maps and media players?
This! I promise, I'm not going to complain (much). But for me, once I start the music (most often days before), I don't change it and I don't need the media app. That is my least-used app. Being unable to use browser/camera simultaneously is still a step backwards in my book. I'm still disappointed in our loss of functionality with v9 and what we know about the future (which is not much).

None listed on ev-fw.com or teslafi but there are screenshots from this thread:

V9 2018.42 - rear camera on top again : teslamotors

odg91Py.jpg

Ugh, that's even worse

This seems a bit hyperbolic. You wanted the camera on top, they gave you the camera on top. About 2 weeks later. Once you have this set up, it looks to be essentially identical to how it was in 8.x. I’m not seeing how that’s “worse” than not being able to have the camera on top at all.

Ugh, that's even worse. The Tesla UX team is not listening. We don't need stacked popups. We need split screen back. Camera at the top, map at the bottom, how hard can it be?
My guess is true split screen is too big a difference from a floating app to make it a single code base for both landscape (3) and portrait (S/X) screens.

You wanted the camera on top, they gave you the camera on top.
We didn't just want the camera on top, but any app (including music). The problem with the new layout is that the map is still on top. Squeezed into a tiny strip and utterly unusable. And the music player is always at the bottom now.

Simple use case: driving from Home Depot with your trunk full to the brim (or not fully closed with a bunch of 2x4s sticking out). You want the camera on top (to replace the blocked rear view mirror), map at the bottom (to check for traffic).

I do get that it's hard or impossible to combine the UI code base for 3 and S/X, so maybe it was the wrong thing to do in the first place.