Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well. the camera is closer to the top. But it is never at the very top like it used to be.

It is still not possible to place the map on the bottom half only and media on top.

Oh My Word!!! :rolleyes: Really? The camera is a half-inch lower than it used to be, and that's not enough? Tesla actually LISTENED to their customers and made this change... but it's STILL not enough!

Here's my opinion (remember all... this is just an opinion, which is what the OP asked for... so steady yourselves o_O):

I liked 39.6. I LOVE 42.2! The few things that were 'iffy' on 39.6 were (at least for me) fixed on this newest release. I.E., the glitchy vehicle renderings (jumping all over the screen, including morphing into my own vehicle) are MUCH better!

In 39.6, I noted that the car seemed to 'hunt' in the lane on AP... slight back-and-forth within the lane... and now it's rock solid. Nice.

NoA is really cool... but I admittedly haven't maximized it's ability. Only used it so far to drive local with no expressway/expressway interchanges.

I do like the changes to the screen (ability to have the camera on top - which is not a biggie for me anyhoo)... and it's cool to be able to have 3 things going at once (music/camera/map).

Overall... I love the changes! Perfect? Matter of opinion. Probably not quite yet... but it's a great move toward the positive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Going on road trip tomorrow.
Cannot be safe driving on 39.6!
Gotta have 42!
Hear me, O Great Tesla Server in the Cloud! :p

As I have said many times before, just make sure all of the air valves on your wheels are pointing towards Fremont tonight, hold your key fob above your head (in your left hand, of course), click your heels three times and stay “There’s no man like Musk” and repeat five times. The update will magically appear by tomorrow......

Can those who've got NoA and complain about how much slower it drives compared to AP, have you tried coaxing it with more accelerator, and how does it behave? I often encourage my existing AP because it's too conservative for my usual driving style...

Well I wasn't complaining about it, but coaxing it with throttle works for overtaking when it is trying to slow down and find an opening for a lane change.

802068B7-1CD0-4227-A0F7-74FC50C0605C.jpeg

I at last got 2018.42.2 today and have just got back from 60 mile drive testing it out. It is awesome - I can’t think of anything which I find inferior to previous version the way I use it. I do like that I can have map at top, then camera in middle and media player at bottom. Those are the three things I use while driving, so great to have all up together - so for me an improvement to the split screen.

Of course no Drive of Autopilot in UK, but the improved dash display is good, seeing vehicles in blind spot and good to see the Autopilot lane change is quicker. Before it was too slow with me often having to manually take over as Autopilot was too slow to move into gap in traffic.

The new URL seems pretty easy to navigate, but one thing I could not make out was what the traffic light in the media player does? Nothing happened when I pushed. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gt1948 and MP3Mike
This does not give me confidence that it will handle roundabouts in the UK (we have thousands) with up to 6 exits!

I've Tried Several Roundabouts before 42.2 & they were also a no-go... but like someone else said, that is probably FSD not EAP.

Can those who've got NoA and complain about how much slower it drives compared to AP, have you tried coaxing it with more accelerator, and how does it behave? I often encourage my existing AP because it's too conservative for my usual driving style...

Yes I Coax mine with the Accelerator all the time cause it just takes off too slow... You can do this during NoA as much as you want.
I've had nothing but Success with it on my Drives so far. Takes Exits like a champ. Merging is a little Nerve-racking if it is an Aggressive Merge as you need to Confirm right now, if you do not Confirm well then that is just Operator Error for how this System Works at the Moment...

I too Predicted FSD would Never Happen, Actually owning a Model S as of May this Year and using EAP has made me think it could be possible...
We will see once it needs to find Stop Signs Blocked by a Conveniently Parked Truck, etc.. etc..

Its not a path to FSD. i think you fail to realize what FSD actual is and the guff between not making a mistake for acouple miles versus not making a mistake for 1 million miles..

Can you imagine Blader as dad?

His kid finally learns to crawl, and instead of appreciating the moment he instead goes on and on about the gulf between crawling and running.

Thanks @JohnnyG, I wonder why then AP1 owners are getting this update, according to TeslaFi? Are there other functionalities in this update other than Drive to Nav?

Yes. One is the ability to have multiple apps up at the same time. Which applies to all S&X cars.

No to mention that only a small percentage of people had even got V9, so this could be the first time they get the new interface, TeslAtari, bug fixes, etc...

Reactions: JohnnyG