Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an email back from my service center prior to Monday's appointment and they confirmed that they want to replace the sidemarker/repeater camera assemblies. Will let you know if this ends up fixing it!

My theory is that maybe this part changed a bit internally since it's a very early AP2 build (Oct 2016) compared to what they have on the shelves... Who knows.

Thank you for the news related to the side markers. Hope you get a camera upgrade that permits Sentry features ;-)

For me I made my April 4th appointment via the mobile app. No response yet. March 2017 delivery, AP2.

How did you make your service appointment, via phone call with support, or via the mobile app -- to which then a technician responded?
-TechVP

Still havent fixed the Mirror auto tilt. Why do BOTH mirrors have to tilt down when I only need the right mirror to tilt down like every other luxury car on the road?
This way it works no matter which side of the street you are parked on. Imagine parking on the left on a one-way street. Having the driver's side mirror tilt allows you to see the curb on the left. If you park on the right, the passenger side mirror lets you see the curb on the right.

IMO, that means all other luxury cars got it wrong since they would only work if parking with the curb on the right side of the car.

You mean with AP active? I haven't explicitly tested with this version, but in 2018.50.6, I needed to fully engage indicator, or partially engage for at least 3 blinks for it to execute a lane change.
50.6 is indeed what I have and is as you describe.
Some reports that a single tap is enough. Just wondering if applies also to AP1. I’d very much appreciate that small improvement.

Still havent fixed the Mirror auto tilt. Why do BOTH mirrors have to tilt down when I only need the right mirror to tilt down like every other luxury car on the road?
Did you know you can adjust the mirrors after they've tilted and their positions will be preserved for the next time they tilt?

If you don't want the left mirror to tilt just adjust it while you are in reverse and save your driver's profile like @conman mentioned and only the mirror you want will tilt...

Did you know you can adjust the mirrors after they've tilted and their positions will be preserved for the next time they tilt?

Just got an email back from my service center prior to Monday's appointment and they confirmed that they want to replace the sidemarker/repeater camera assemblies. Will let you know if this ends up fixing it!

My theory is that maybe this part changed a bit internally since it's a very early AP2 build (Oct 2016) compared to what they have on the shelves... Who knows.

Thanks for the followup reporting. I'll be watching your after service posts to see if replacing it solves the issue. Pretty weird though that a number of people are all now after the update suddenly reporting this camera visibility issue. As far as I know prior to this my husband hasn't had any issues driving and getting this alert. Really doubtful the camera needs replacing, although if different camera parts were used over our cars build times, could be a possibility I suppose. I'm thinking it's more likely service can see the alert and trying this as a fix. Did you tell them this just started happening after the update and some others here are reporting the same alert?

Our Model S is a March 2017 build, AP2.

Wow, how I didnt think of that the learning curve on this car, I just get in & drive it; the mirror settings seem to apper make it seem like they just chose not to add the left/right/both mirror(s) tilt down option from the screen, I know it makes it two ways but the minimalism makes the all the adjustments & settings screen dependent.

I do remember setting the angles on my husband's Model S's mirrors when we got it. Actually until this series of posts about it forgot it was set-able. Having the ability of the mirrors to tilt is great for seeing sometimes if you are in the parking lines in a lot.

From what I read from members here on TMC a while ago after Model 3 came out and people wanted to similarily install a dashcam, hardwiring on the Model 3 will eventually drain the 12v battery and cause fatal errors with the battery. Owners said it worked well for a period of time and then the errors started to happen. Believe I read something about the car doing checks on the system. Early owners received goodwill battery replacements but later ones said the cost was on them as Tesla said it wasn't an approved addition. That's why other Model 3 owners went to using Blackvue's external battery pack for power in their cars. Not something I want to do. With the Model S and X, hardwiring through the mirror's overhead lighting area was possible without battery degradation. That probably will change if they adapt a similar wiring system for the Model S/X when it refreshes. I haven't pursued a Blackvue in my Model 3 since reading this info from owners on the forum, and unless something has changed that I'm not aware of I think it's still an issue hardwiring a dashcam in that fashion. If you've hardwired yours, you might want to checkout those threads on the Model 3 forum.

Point of information (that you are not aware of)---indeed some early Model 3 owners tapped the 12V battery directly for accessories like a dash cam, and ran into trouble as you note. And indeed some folks just got some kind of rechargeable battery pack (like the Blackvue one) to run the camera. However it was discovered that on the Model 3, you can tap power from under the dome lights/microphone grille in the headliner to get 12V when the car is on/9V when off. This is enough to power a Blackvue dash cam 24/7/365. This does not impact the 12V battery or cause any other issues. Search these forms for lots more information.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Not sure what you are talking about with "every other" luxury car. Our two other ice cars both work the same as the Tesla. Both mirrors tilt down and for good reasons. Think about it o_O

Reactions: johnking and Gt1948
This morning, on the way to work and on an empty road, I had a chance to test the "Red Light" warning with Auto Steer. It was intentional and also nerving. I had to get really close to the red light before it went off. In the end, I'm satisfied with how it worked in that it gave me enough time to react and brake. Considering how close it was, I don't think the feature will be putting out any false positives anytime soon. It was a hard brake situation for sure. I believe all I received was a "Take control immediately" red dash warning with the typical Tesla three-alert sound. The car did not brake on its own or take any other action.

This morning, on the way to work and on an empty road, I had a chance to test the "Red Light" warning with Auto Steer. It was intentional and also nerving. I had to get really close to the red light before it went off. In the end, I'm satisfied with how it worked in that it gave me enough time to react and brake. Considering how close it was, I don't think the feature will be putting out any false positives anytime soon. It was a hard brake situation for sure. I believe all I received was a "Take control immediately" red dash warning with the typical Tesla three-alert sound. The car did not brake on its own or take any other action.

There is a video on YouTube showing a test version of the feature working to actually stop the car as well. Works pretty well...most of the time, but not always.

The version that got downloaded is 2019.8.4. The release notes are the same as 2019.8.3. I am assuming that this release is more of a hot fix for something they found in 8.3. Will not be driving the car for another couple days to see if there is any difference in the experience.
IMG_20190329_194649.jpg

Model S / 75D/2017/Dec/AP2.5/FSD

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gt1948