Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 8.1 2018.34.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had same symptoms, so I took it in with an appointment yesterday. Several upgrade attempts there with no resolution. They are working with CA. Hopefully they figure out a resolution today.

I got a notice about 10 minutes ago that the software update was successful, and the app now shows me on 2018.34.1. It seems like they figured out a fix. They have not yet contacted me, so I'll have more later once I pick it up.

I have also noticed on 34.1 that when someone is in the passenger seat and they don't buckle up, I don't get the "seatbelt not clicked" alert...
Is that good or bad? My rear seat with the kid booster seat on it still trips the seatbelt warning when he’s not in it. Not sure why the front wouldn’t trigger it anymore. I’m on 34.1 as well.

The usual caveats: this was the solution for my car, but may not be the same cause/solution for your cars. From my service invoice:

Concern: update failed, consistent alert for update required, contact Tesla service.

Corrections: SD Card - Car Computer

Reformatted SD Card. Firmware has been successfully updated.

I did notice while on AP last night that the car was much more abrupt in accelerating and slowing down when following someone else. It was not as smooth and seemed to accelerate and slow unnecessarily (the car in front remained at a relatively constant speed)

@Skidmark :eek:
You are the only person on this thread that's experiencing this night driving thing on 2018.34.1 with TACC or AP activated. This car slows abruptly even when nothing is happening in front of me, just following a normal moving car. Could somebody else please take a night drive and test this? Drive on a normal street, not the highway.

Same issue here with the failed update. I'm just going to wait it out. I need my autopilot back!

FWIW, my service center said they can now push the fix remotely. I would imagine that they will automatically do this for failed vehicles, but he did say that if you're experiencing it you can call the local SC and they can push out the fix.

FWIW, my service center said they can now push the fix remotely. I would imagine that they will automatically do this for failed vehicles, but he did say that if you're experiencing it you can call the local SC and they can push out the fix.

Thanks for this. I just called and they said it should be sent within 72 hours. I wish it could have been immediate. I think they are getting bombed with calls about this from what they said. I was on hold for 20 minutes just to get through....

• Informative
Reactions: Zaxxon
so I got this update notification earlier today, ran it, and then I got a "failed to update, contact tesla service" alert.. :/ . I called and they said yea a lot of people are getting this, wait for another update in a few days, you can still drive on it. OK, so I drive and notice no autopilot ability, so I say what the heck I'll drive it to the nearby sc. Took it there, they said they'll run the update again. Fails, twice more. They tell me I have to schedule to come back so an engineer can look into it and maybe have to flash/reinstall the OS on the entire car or something. Anyways, I'm just hoping we get a newer update that runs and fixes this for me before next week, when I have to bring it in.
I had the same issue. It failed to updates and said to contact service centre. Spoke to a tech at service centre who ran an over the air reinstall of an onboard computer. He also mentioned that if that didn't work, i would have to take the car in, but luckly it worked. Once he did that, he push the update back to me and I was able to reinstall the update. He did mention that it is common with this update for some reason as the last update might have deleted some files so it couldn't install 2018.34. hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Zaxxon
It seems the crackling sound on speakers is back on 34.1, after you hang up a (bluetooth paired) phone call. Especially noticeable if you had music playing before you initiated/answered the call. Had gone away since 21.9 on my car. Pressing pause and start on Slacker usually did the trick before and would get music going, but wouldn't budge, this morning. Also wouldn't let me voice log bug reports using the right scroll wheel with all the crackling.

Luckily I was on my way to drop my car off at the service center for another issue. So I told them about it and got it noted.

Picked up car from SC last night & this version was ready to install. I don't think Fremont would of pushed a suspect version.
All seems the same and summons working just fine, use it every morning.

old |v2018.32.2|AP2,PUP|
new |v2018.34.1|AP2,PUP|
Replying to myself, sorry I posted in M3 sub- forum. I wonder if this hang-up in software update is M3 specific.

Here's my 2 day review after updating to 34.1:

Autopilot
• Smoother acceleration when a car merges in front of you to fill in the gap
• Subtle and softer braking (not so immediate and hard)
• Autopilot nag can be "verified" by changing volume, changing song, activate turn signal, change follow distance

Bluetooth
• Connection waking up car takes about 30 secs (opposed to 1-2 mins sometimes) - iPhone X running iOS 12 GM
• Music connection is solid and no drop or stuttering and connects almost instantly when stepping into the car
• Phone key "Connected" connection seems more stable for walk up to car unlock

UI/Screen
• Left UI brake light on screen is still dimmed compared to right (since 32.2)
• Better detection of car around you on screen is more accurate but still have the occasional car driving into your lane and car and disappear (lol) or the car stuttering dance :p
• No black screen when going into reverse or press rear camera button (almost instantly appears)

Hope this helps anyone interested about the new update. Also if you experience any glitches/or issues I would try to reboot using the 2 methods:

1) Press and hold down both scroll wheels until screen turns black and Tesla logo appears
2) From menu press "Turn off" and wait 2 minutes without interacting with anything and press brake to start car.

Last edited:
I wonder if PIN to Drive is there to prevent someone from driving away the car if you happened to leave your phone [key] in the car.
It is an anti-theft feature. In some regions theives have used proximity spoofers to mimic fobs and gain access entry to cars. When a Tesla owner would park and exit the car the their would be near by with a device that would read the fob transmission and retransmit the same code to the car once the owner was out of site. He would be able to unlock the car and drive away without the actual fob.

I'm having issues with 34.1 but mainly the LTE. It goes offline all the time and I have to reboot the display for it to come back on. Today it went off for 45 minutes so I finally rebooted and then it came back up.

I don't find braking seems smoother at all to be honest. I was warned by my partner that I'm never allowed to use AP or regen braking with him in the car again as when we got home he opened the door and threw up in the driveway saying he won't be going in my car again any time soon. :/

Further to novox77 and the PIN question, in many parts of Europe theft of high priced cars is a regular business. They take a car from Amsterdam and in a matter of hours it's being driven in Moscow. Russia and parts of the former USSR have no effective vehicle registration system or law enforcement. The situation is much different in most parts of the USA, but you should use the PIN if you are concerned or in high crime areas, especially ports. A few years ago, cars were being stolen from airport parking garages in Canada, loaded on ships, and were on their way to Russia and beyond before the owners returned from their trips.

I have also noticed on 34.1 that when someone is in the passenger seat and they don't buckle up, I don't get the "seatbelt not clicked" alert...

Is that good or bad? My rear seat with the kid booster seat on it still trips the seatbelt warning when he’s not in it. Not sure why the front wouldn’t trigger it anymore. I’m on 34.1 as well.

I’m also noticing no seatbelt warning for the passenger seat. It works for the rear seats though, and the passenger airbag off light comes on when there isn’t someone in the passenger seat...

I’m also noticing no seatbelt warning for the passenger seat. It works for the rear seats though, and the passenger airbag off light comes on when there isn’t someone in the passenger seat...

Is your seatbelt warning audible? When a passenger on mine didn't have theirs on it was playing the alarm before. Yesterday I drove the car to show family and had 3 people in the back seat and noticed the touchscreen was showing all of them unbuckled but there was no audio alert or anything like that. Just a picture of the back seat showing red X through them.

I'm having issues with 34.1 but mainly the LTE. It goes offline all the time and I have to reboot the display for it to come back on. Today it went off for 45 minutes so I finally rebooted and then it came back up.

I don't find braking seems smoother at all to be honest. I was warned by my partner that I'm never allowed to use AP or regen braking with him in the car again as when we got home he opened the door and threw up in the driveway saying he won't be going in my car again any time soon. :/

Man, I hate to say it.:( But,"You sound like you LYING"!!!!o_O