Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify w/ V10 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so confused.

I set up a Spotify account so I could use it natively in my Tesla. By Spotify is so confusing.

Radio is now a set of playlists. Playlists are also playlists. And radio stations is now Stations, and is only accessed on a separate app on your phone. The Tesla Spotify has a stations button, but it doesn't have any of the stations from the stations app.

what a F-ing mess!!!

please help...

I am so confused.

I set up a Spotify account so I could use it natively in my Tesla. By Spotify is so confusing.

Radio is now a set of playlists. Playlists are also playlists. And radio stations is now Stations, and is only accessed on a separate app on your phone. The Tesla Spotify has a stations button, but it doesn't have any of the stations from the stations app.

what a F-ing mess!!!

please help...
I agree it's confusing, but it's not really Spotify. ;) In the entertainment window, there are now 4 different sections where you can find "stations": Radio (FM), Streaming (Slacker), TuneIn (Internet radio), and Spotify. But they are really all different apps, each with their own concept of "stations". The Spotify stations are really just "rolling playlists" that generate a constant stream of songs based on criteria such as genres, or based on songs or normal playlists. In any case, there is no second Spotify phone app. You probably mean Slacker or TuneIn.

Everyone was so excited to get Spotify on the Tesla that I thought it must be amazing, and I would switch from Pandora. Big disappointment. Spotify's organization is terrible, and the implementation on Tesla is worse.

it really sucks.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY A TUNE IN RESPONSE TO A VOICE QUERY.

This used to work with at least a plausible find almost always.
That was so great even if if didn't always find the one I wanted.

I'd gladly turn off Spotify for now to go back to how it was. How?

How on earth can they expect you to *uck with that busy screen while you're driving?

I for one cannot do it without losing safe visual contact with the road and surroundings. Sure, I can let NOA drive, fully disengage from paying attention, just so I can choose the music, but isn't that exactly what we want to prevent?

I can't imagine Tesla staff not knowing a way and driving while fumbling with the screen. There's got to be a way to do it.

Hey Tesla people, HELP!

Last edited:
Reactions: PoitNarf
I JUST WANT TO PLAY A TUNE IN RESPONSE TO A VOICE QUERY.

This used to work with at least a plausible find almost always.
That was so great even if if didn't always find the one I wanted.

I'd gladly turn off Spotify for now to go back to how it was. How?

How on earth can they expect you to *uck with that busy screen while you're driving?

I for one cannot do it without losing safe visual contact with the road and surroundings. Sure, I can let NOA drive, fully disengage from paying attention, just so I can choose the music, but isn't that exactly what we want to prevent?

I can't imagine Tesla staff not knowing a way and driving while fumbling with the screen. There's got to be a way to do it.

Hey Tesla people, HELP!

Get an Echo Auto. That works great for me.

What I don like about Spotify being a native app is the sound is much better than bluetooth streaming. I've also successfully ask the car to play a song title and it's played through Spotify.

I echo the sentiments that Spotify needs to be updated to reflect the functionality of the phone better. All my playlist and albums on my account still are not showing up. I also don't like that the Tesla version of Spotify makes radio stations out of the songs that I've asked it to play - I just want those song play - not what you think I would like to hear from some other random artist lol.

I've also had the app on the car and the app on phone compete with each other. I opened the app of the phone to check my albums - and because of bluetooth the car switched from the native app - to app on my phone. I could not get the app on the car to takeover, without doing a system reboot.

Chatted with Spotify tech support, and they said it streams to the Model 3 at 320kbps, though I can't say it was crystal clear. I'm a little skeptical simply because there is no setting for this on the Model 3. (Though, as long as Tesla's footing the streaming bill, who wouldn't choose the highest setting.). Anyway, here's the chat transcript...

Info at 10:06, Oct 2:

Thanks for getting in touch. So we don't get disconnected, please keep this window open during the chat.

Info at 10:06, Oct 2:

Hey there! Thanks for contacting Spotify Support. You're chatting with Siegfried Hans Uldrich C.

NOTE: So we don't get disconnected, please do not navigate away to another browser or app during this chat.

David at 10:06, Oct 2:

I would like to know what bitrate is supported by the Spotify
application built into the Tesla Model 3 if you're logged in to a
premium Spotify account.

David at 10:06, Oct 2:

Hello, Tesla just added the Spotify application to the car's entertainment system in the U.S.

Siegfried Hans Uldrich C at 10:07, Oct 2:

Hello there, David. I understand you want to know the bit rate we offer for Spotify. No worries, let me help you with this.

David at 10:07, Oct 2:

Right, but specifically what bitrate is supported by the Tesla Model 3's native Spotify application, when logged in with a premium account.

David at 10:08, Oct 2:

Tesla just added Spotify to the Model 3 in the U.S., and it's great, but I'm wondering what bitrate it uses.

Siegfried Hans Uldrich C at 10:08, Oct 2:

320 kbps is what Spotify provides for all Premium subscribers :)

David at 10:09, Oct 2:

Is that the case when using the Tesla Model 3's built in app? (Not talking about using the app on my phone)

David at 10:10, Oct 2:

If so, that's great. I'm just kind of surprised, since the data stream over Tesla's cellular service.

Siegfried Hans Uldrich C at 10:10, Oct 2:

That's correct. Spotify offers low, high and extreme sound quality for streaming, and all in OGG Vorbis format.

# 1. 96 kbps • Normal quality of mobile.
# 2. 160 kbps • Desktop and web player standard quality. • The high quality of mobile.
#3. 320 kbps (only available to Premium subscribers) • Desktop high quality. • Extreme quality of mobile and to all other devices.

David at 10:11, Oct 2:

So "all other devices" includes my car?

Siegfried Hans Uldrich C at 10:11, Oct 2:

That's right :)

David at 10:12, Oct 2:

Well that's awesome. Thank you!

Siegfried Hans Uldrich C at 10:12, Oct 2:

You're welcome. Is there anything else that I can help you with?

David at 10:12, Oct 2:

Nope, that's it. Thanks.

You're welcome.

I'm happy I was able to resolve all your concerns for today. If you think everything is sorted out, please click "End chat" on the top-right of this chat window and let me know how I did. Take care!

• Informative
Reactions: AlanJ and DopeGhoti
Last few days, since I upgraded to v10 I’ll be sitting on the couch inside on my iphone and the volume slider will show up on screen that the volume was just adjusted. I had assumed I’d just hit the volume buttons. Happened again just now and didn’t hit the volume buttons for sure. I looked at my Apple Watch and it looked like Spotify was playing right now.

I think it’s my car waking up and playing Spotify (hence the volume changes randomly on the phone).

Spotify was last selected in the car for sure too.

Anyone else noticed this?

Anyway, here's the chat transcript...

As much as I'd like to believe the 320 kbps thing (and Spotify sounds great for me, BTW), I don't know that I'd trust that chat transcript. While Spotify does make a 320 kbps stream available to all premium subscribers, the software client does have to use it. In fact, Spotify desktop doesn't even use the 320 stream by default. You have to go into settings and set streaming quality to very high.

upload_2019-10-2_10-29-42.png

I highly doubt this Spotify support person truly knows how the Tesla app is implemented. I think we'd be better off waiting for someone to capture network traffic. But what I'm most interested in is whether the Tesla app automatically adjusts that streaming quality option based on available cellular bandwidth or connection speed.

Just a reminder to all that you can get 3 months free of premium, just google it and you can find a link. Here is one I found for Canadians:

Go Premium – Spotify
If you search "spotify family" it takes you straight to Music for everyone. where there is 3 months free then $14.99 after that. So unless someone has a code for discounted rate, that should be what US customers should use.

If anyone figures out how to use Spotify on Tesla, can you please explain to me how I can get stations on the Spotify "Stations" tab on the Tesla?
Solved my own question.

if you search for a song and select "song" at the top of the results page, then select the song to play, it will play the song in Spotify. If you let the song play through, at the end it will start playing another related/similar song. Once that happens, it automatically generates a "radio" based on the searches song, and places it in the "stations" tab.

enjoy.