Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess i'm glad to hear that I should have hope.

But do we know why that is? I'd assume they prioritize the more distant locations to account for transit time in order to uphold their lead time quotes. i.e. build get the more distant orders out the door faster since all the CA ones have a couple day transit time compared to a solid week for east coast.

As should be clear from reading this thread(and any of the other waiting rooms) we have no inside information on why/how Tesla does anything.

The "understanding" is that they are trying to get as many cars into buyers hands by the end of quarter.
This means that they sent almost all production in October/Early November on ships(Europe/Asia) since they have the travel time, etc.

Once they turned to US, they build in groups, so similar models(LR,SR,SR+,Perf, Steatlth) are built at once. As they start planning the last production for the quarter, they are prioritizing East to West deliveries(once again transit time) and they seem to be building a few extra of each model for the areas to have a few available for a last minute buyer(seen by the guy who got his car on the East Coast within 6 days. I can not believe there is any WAY that they BUILT that car specifically for him and got it through production, QA, transit and delivery in that time frame. It was either a reject from someone else, or an "inventory car". The Stealths seem to be a similar example.)

Since they can get a car to us in the bay area within hours to days, we get the short end of the stick, Northern and Southern California seem to be treated similarly.

I expect that they will be able to get those cars to people who purchase by 12/8...but whether their delivery time works for peoples holiday plans is a different story.

I imagine we will hear more stories of people picking up a car last minute and gets it by 12/31 even if they did not have an order before then.

Sorry for the wall of text.

TLDR: Anyone US who ordered in Sept/Oct were "ignored" until production/shipments for US started in Nov. Any order since then, they are working through and expect to clear all current orders by the last 2 weeks of Dec, and any cars after that will be for people ordering between now and 12/8(and a few inventory cars) which will be available for last minute buyers

Last edited:
My full timeline from order (10/25) to delivery (12/6) as a point of reference for everyone:
10/25: Ordered White Ext / Black Int SR+ Aero wheels w/o FSD in Kansas City metro area
11/10: Emailed my Tesla Advisor (TA) to confirm my submission was complete
11/11: TA emailed back confirming everything was correct and they were just waiting for a VIN
11/19: Received text to expect delivery between 11/28 and 12/6
11/25: TA emailed my VIN and said the 11/28 to 12/6 dates were a good timeline to expect
11/25: Received text to schedule my delivery. Earliest date I could sign up for was 12/11 so that's what I picked
11/27: VIN showed up in website source code
11/27: Received invite to New Owners Workshop (I never signed up or attended)
12/4: Received phone call from a Tesla Operations Advisor (OA) in the delivery center telling me, "good news, your car should be here 12/5 or 12/6". Scheduled delivery for 12/6, but he told me it might be able to be delivered 12/5 if the inspection went well and they had it charged and washed.
12/5: Received call from OA that car was there but it came a bit late so no delivery 12/5, but we were still on for the 12/6 scheduled delivery.
12/6: Showed up to Tesla Delivery/Service Center at scheduled time. They were waiting at the door for me. They gave me the choice of signing papers first or looking at the car. I asked to look at the car first so he walked me to it and handed me the keys. I walked around the outside and inspected the insided and everything looked great. Panels are perfectly aligned and the paint looks perfect as well. I then went inside and we did the paperwork in probably 5 minutes. Car is now home in my garage. Even better the 2019.40.2 update was ready for me when I picked up the car, so it's since been installed now that I'm home on wifi. Loving everything about the car so far!

White/Black SR+, Aero, SF Bay Area

Trending down...

Ordered: 10/14
Tesla Owners Workshop: ETA provided Tesla Rep on my account: 12/1-12/3
Called Fremont Hub 12/1: ETA provided Tesla Rep on my account: 12/6
Called Fremont Hub Today: ETA provided Tesla Rep on my account: 12/24

Trending down...

I'm a 10/16 order and i've been given the 28th. It's kinda BS all things considered. I'll be mildly shocked if I actually get it.

Trending down...

That sucks! That would be a deal killer for me as we will be out of town then.
Looks like there will be many people in the bay area who will be getting new M3's they ordered last minute and will not be leaving town for the Holidays.

Who ever said Tesla was fair???:rolleyes:

As should be clear from reading this thread(and any of the other waiting rooms) we have no inside information on why/how Tesla does anything.

The "understanding" is that they are trying to get as many cars into buyers hands by the end of quarter.
This means that they sent almost all production in October/Early November on ships(Europe/Asia) since they have the travel time, etc.

Once they turned to US, they build in groups, so similar models(LR,SR,SR+,Perf, Steatlth) are built at once. As they start planning the last production for the quarter, they are prioritizing East to West deliveries(once again transit time) and they seem to be building a few extra of each model for the areas to have a few available for a last minute buyer(seen by the guy who got his car on the East Coast within 6 days. I can not believe there is any WAY that they BUILT that car specifically for him and got it through production, QA, transit and delivery in that time frame. It was either a reject from someone else, or an "inventory car". The Stealths seem to be a similar example.)

Since they can get a car to us in the bay area within hours to days, we get the short end of the stick, Northern and Southern California seem to be treated similarly.

I expect that they will be able to get those cars to people who purchase by 12/8...but whether their delivery time works for peoples holiday plans is a different story.

I imagine we will hear more stories of people picking up a car last minute and gets it by 12/31 even if they did not have an order before then.

Sorry for the wall of text.

TLDR: Anyone US who ordered in Sept/Oct were "ignored" until production/shipments for US started in Nov. Any order since then, they are working through and expect to clear all current orders by the last 2 weeks of Dec, and any cars after that will be for people ordering between now and 12/8(and a few inventory cars) which will be available for last minute buyers
Well said! Great summary of this thread :)

Reactions: ZappCatt
One other item I failed to mention about my Model 3 pickup experience... my trade-in quote had expired but Tesla still honored it. They actually didn't say anything about it at all, and I definitely did not ask. Just another item I know some of you might be concerned with as you await delivery times typically greater than the 30 day offer period. Granted my trade-in was a 2014 Honda Accord EX-L w/ Nav and ~76k miles... so I'm sure value didn't change much from the initial price they quoted me.

Western rural Colorado region:
I ordered SR+ with no upgrades on 10/18, a mere three days or so after the updated configurator changed the SR+ options. I was told Mid-Late December for delivery.
Last week I was confirming my details with the Denver area store. I was still being told late December. Yesterday I get the phone call, they recieved 12 truckloads and mine happened to be in there. Sure enough, checked my account and I had a VIN. I went from a December 22nd delivery date to picking up on the 11th.

Trending down...

Wow... My order was made on November 11 in Southern CA and I don't think Tesla can deliver my M3 by EOY considering your case. I made an order for Tesla solar panel subscription along with M3. Luckily I can keep my current car over EOY and will cancel both of orders if my M3 delayed over EOY. I understand their "make and ship long distance order first" policy to make more money but at least they have to provide VIN in the order of order date. Just putting all Californians in pitch black is NOT acceptable.

Reactions: giantshark18
Wow... My order was made on November 11 in Southern CA and I don't think Tesla can deliver my M3 by EOY considering your case. I made an order for Tesla solar panel subscription along with M3. Luckily I can keep my current car over EOY and will cancel both of orders if my M3 delayed over EOY. I understand their "make and ship long distance order first" policy to make more money but at least they have to provide VIN in the order of order date. Just putting all Californians in pitch black is NOT acceptable.
Why don't you think they will deliver your car by end of year?

Unless you have been assigned a VIN, anyone giving an ETA with a specific date at this point, California or elsewhere, is just a guess. Unless you have a connection with some guy in some back room, divvying out VINs, nobody seems to really know what day you'll get your car... just that you'll get it before end of year.

I'm confident that Tesla will follow through on their commitment to deliver all cars ordered by 12/8, by end of year. It's going to be a mess in the delivery centers. When I attended the new owner's orientation in Rocklin, CA yesterday, I sat next to a guy waiting for a model x. His girlfriend is a Tesla owner and a member of some owner's club. Tesla is using members of the owner's club to help deliver cars. They said the employees are planning on 5-10 minutes per delivery and then the club members will take the extra time to help show you all about your car. That's how they plan on being able to deliver 100 cars a day for last two or three weeks of the year.

Not sure if that's how all delivery centers are operating, but it seems like a great way to move alot of vehicles in a short amount of time.