Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn’t find anything definitive in this massive thread. I likely just missed it, but I’m wondering if anyone can help me determine if the new order I placed for a SR+ (made mid October in Canada), would result in the car being an LFP battery ?
Thanks.
You're likely to get a LFP battery if you take delivery next year. But if it's a 2021 model, chances are it's NCA unless you ordered from inventory with 253 miles of range.

• Informative
Reactions: CDN-Build
I have a 2021 VIN delivery next week and getting cold feet because I'd really like to have the heated steering wheel and maybe the LFP battery pack. Mine is probably close to being the last batch of 2021 models.

But my SA wasn't sure when I'll get the next VIN if I postpone. It could very well be delayed until middle of next year it seems.

I got a text last night about the $750 will be updated as remaining balance due. I have already made my final payment on Saturday, so I have to pay the $750 just because tesla delayed delivery last minute..
They called me late last night about 1 hour before closing that to tell me they got the car in and if i picked it up tonight i would get the full 1500, i had to rush down there, and got it, sorry to hear about that, really does sucks, figured prices were locked in when you got the down payment in

I have a 2021 VIN delivery next week and getting cold feet because I'd really like to have the heated steering wheel and maybe the LFP battery pack. Mine is probably close to being the last batch of 2021 models.

But my SA wasn't sure when I'll get the next VIN if I postpone. It could very well be delayed until middle of next year it seems.
What color combo did you order?

Also how do you know if LFP will have heated steering wheel? I didmt see it anywhere.

What color combo did you order?

Also how do you know if LFP will have heated steering wheel? I didmt see it anywhere.

The most standard one, white exterior + black interior + 18" aero wheels.

I've seen someone's screenshot where the SA was stating the new 2022 standard range model will have heated steering wheel. It might be wrong information but the idea is still attractive. I know the LFP supposedly perform worse in winter but if it really degrade slower that's also appealing.

On the other hand, I'm not impatient but I doubt I can wait until March or even later. Ideally I should have it in the next few months and currently there's no guarantee.

I've seen someone's screenshot where the SA was stating the new 2022 standard range model will have heated steering wheel. It might be wrong information but the idea is still attractive. I know the LFP supposedly perform worse in winter but if it really degrade slower that's also appealing.

On the other hand, I'm not impatient but I doubt I can wait until March or even later. Ideally I should have it in the next few months and currently there's no guarantee.
Got it. I think LFP will have the hardware for heated steering . I bet Tesla would make it pay feature like rear seats. I would 100% even pay for it if its there.. only worry with LFP yes the cold range. But i think people make it spund worse than it is. Even current battery also looses almost 30 to 40% and i dont really think it would be any different on LFP. .

LFP is supposedly significantly worse all around though, both in charging time as well as the range. You could warm up the battery to lessen the effect but it takes time and energy.

I agree with you. If heated steering is available I'll gladly pay for it.

At this point I'll probably take the delivery next week since it's just too much of a gamble but I do feel unlucky being one of last 2021 buyers. It will likely hurt the resale value as well, especially if I sell it within a few years.

LFP is supposedly significantly worse all around though, both in charging time as well as the range. You could warm up the battery to lessen the effect but it takes time and energy.

I agree with you. If heated steering is available I'll gladly pay for it.

At this point I'll probably take the delivery next week since it's just too much of a gamble but I do feel unlucky being one of last 2021 buyers. It will likely hurt the resale value as well, especially if I sell it within a few years.
Actually the MIC LFP Model 3's have a faster charging rate than the NCA cars - MIC Tesla Model 3 SR+ Fast Charging Test Reveals Strong Results

Tesla makes continuous improvements over the course of a year (40 or so on average each year so I'm told). While I agree I'd prefer a 2022 model as well, I'm not sure it is a huge deal....and none of us know when Tesla will start shipping the "2022" car or what exactly that will be.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Actually the MIC LFP Model 3's have a faster charging rate than the NCA cars - MIC Tesla Model 3 SR+ Fast Charging Test Reveals Strong Results

Tesla makes continuous improvements over the course of a year (40 or so on average each year so I'm told). While I agree I'd prefer a 2022 model as well, I'm not sure it is a huge deal....and none of us know when Tesla will start shipping the "2022" car or what exactly that will be.

I was talking about LFP in cold weather, not in regular temperature. I live in Canada and range matters more in cold days of our winter.

Tesla may make continuous improvements but used car markets still rely on model year and the type of battery definitely matters.

We already have reports of 2022 VINs so there's a very good chance November-manufactured vehicles will be 2022.

I was talking about LFP in cold weather, not in regular temperature. I live in Canada and range matters more in cold days of our winter.

Tesla may make continuous improvements but used car markets still rely on model year and the type of battery definitely matters.

We already have reports of 2022 VINs so there's a very good chance November-manufactured vehicles will be 2022.
Ahhh.....yes, cold climate does change things. Will be interesting to see how much Tesla manages to mitigate cold weather issues with preheating and other tricks.

FYI - I've seen 2019 M3's go for over $48k recently, so predicting the used car market is a bit of a wild card, but yes, I agree, I'd rather have a 2022 VIN if possible. I missed the reports of 2022 VINs starting to appear. In any case, best of luck with your delivery. Do you know if it is an LFP or NCA car?

FYI, that screenshot was from someone in Ireland... Build options appear different there. Also, the hw for the rear heated seat has always been there. There is even a company in Québec that sells a module to enable them :) RE the steering wheel, from the few experiments I read about, it looks like some piece of hardware has been missing in the SR+ to enable it via SW. That may change in the new 3.

Got it. I think LFP will have the hardware for heated steering . I bet Tesla would make it pay feature like rear seats. I would 100% even pay for it if its there.. only worry with LFP yes the cold range. But i think people make it spund worse than it is. Even current battery also looses almost 30 to 40% and i dont really think it would be any different on LFP. .
If LCA loses 40% and you can charge 80%. While on LFP you charge 100% and even if it loses 50%. Then also you are better off (50% VS 48%).

If LCA loses 40% and you can charge 80%. While on LFP you charge 100% and even if it loses 50%. Then also you are better off (50% VS 48%).

LFP looses 60% and NCA looses 36% at -10C. So it's a little worse than your example. All this might change if Tesla somehow heats the battery before driving.
Note that you can charge NCA to 100% if you drive right away, which shifts the comparison even more toward NCA.

Source please. Hard to believe that Tesla would bring in an outdated technology (LFP here) knowing very well that a large market it caters to have substantially cold weather (north and west Europe, East coast, Midwest and Canada)
I edited my post to give the source, see above.
Edit (again). Yes, I find it hard to believe as well as I indicated in my edited post. I hope Tesla has a solution. Surely they wouldn't install a battery with such reduced range.

Reactions: Labs and vsg055
Just curious if anyone is at same boat as I am. So currently my SR+ EDD shows September (white/black/aero), I'm pondering if I should upgrade to 19" wheel which has EDD of June. Should I just go ahead to upgrade it or just wait till the EDD updated. Based on some previous replies it looks like EDD is volatile and might even move ahead of schedule. Already wait almost 1 yr for my MX to come not sure if I can wait another year for M3 :p

Just curious if anyone is at same boat as I am. So currently my SR+ EDD shows September (white/black/aero), I'm pondering if I should upgrade to 19" wheel which has EDD of June. Should I just go ahead to upgrade it or just wait till the EDD updated. Based on some previous replies it looks like EDD is volatile and might even move ahead of schedule. Already wait almost 1 yr for my MX to come not sure if I can wait another year for M3 :p
I ordered 10/2 and it showed a June delivery. Then March. Then January and now mid to end of December.