Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. I made the change on Sunday at 8 pm. so....like 48 hours ago. As far as Tesla is concerned, I'm now a January LR order and got slotted in as such. I hope it holds. Still no VIN.
I feel more and more convinced this may be the best move, we may upgrade our other RWD order as well - depends on what gas prices do in the next few months. You've been a great source of information - all the best!

I am so flippin tempted to change to LR. I keep telling myself I gotta be getting the car soon. Been saying that since like March though. One vehicle between myself, my high schooler, and a college student. I just keep hearing people saying waiting for the LFP will be worth it. Thoughts on that anyone?

Well, LR is superior and it comes with a bunch of more options as well. Compare both and see if it's worth it to you. Personally, I think it's worth it but I can't justify your expenses for you.

I am so flippin tempted to change to LR. I keep telling myself I gotta be getting the car soon. Been saying that since like March though. One vehicle between myself, my high schooler, and a college student. I just keep hearing people saying waiting for the LFP will be worth it. Thoughts on that anyone?
I think LFP is amazing. Charging to 100%, no babying it, safer, cheaper, less impactful on the planet, no conflict minerals. It is the clear winner IMHO, energy density aside. It was the sole reason, aside from price, that we wanted RWD.

As to my change to LR - I did some research on battery degradation and accepted that the chemistry in LR is more prone to it, and looked at data on high milage Teslas. The worst case I have seen on the modern LR chemistry is 12% loss after 100,000 miles on a 2020 performance M3 on which 50% of all miles driven were supercharged, the car was regularly left at low or high state fo charge, run down to zero and into the buffer before being hit while hot with a supercharger. It was beaten to hell. I'm astonished it was not worse. Tesla's thermal management is second to none and it isn't even close, the car knows how to manage itself. Even if the car loses 12%, that's a EPA mixed rated range of 315 miles. That is MORE than sufficient to fully replace an ICE and road trip. I think the worry about it is valid but also, over-blown because they are very expensive and folks don't want to buy something that isn't solid. But, these cars are not new anymore. You are not beta testing the batteries. They're tested and vetted. Watch that video - Kyle has every electron ever used logged, no one has data as he does.

Now, there is no good answer about the ethics of mineral sourcing for the LR batteries. It is harsher on the planet and there's a real risk they came from operations that mistreat our fellow man. I made a call that switching to an EV and having lower lifetime emissions outweighs the bad. Not everyone feels that way.

I feel more and more convinced this may be the best move, we may upgrade our other RWD order as well - depends on what gas prices do in the next few months. You've been a great source of information - all the best!
Thanks, buddy. I work in clean energy policy with an emphasis on EV and H2 infrastructure deployment. So I can talk this stuff all day haha!

Reactions: MtlMV and RPYT
I listed the differences below. For me, one long road trip where I would have to charge more times would justify it alone for me. I really wanted AWD due to where I live. That's a whole lot of power to be just RWD IMO. I also really wanted full premium interior, and the stereo system is very important to me. I was once told, you never regret the options you buy (except maybe full FSD lol), you regret the ones you don't buy. Of course, value and cost is subjective.

Model 3 RWD
Partial Premium Interior
Power adjustable front seats
Heated front and rear seats
Heated steering wheel
Premium seat material and trim
Upgraded audio – immersive sound
Premium Connectivity (30 days included)
Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
Power folding, heated side mirrors
Music and media over Bluetooth®
Custom driver profiles
Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and wireless charging for 2 smartphones

Range: 272 miles
0-60 mph 4.2s

Model 3 Long Range
Premium Interior

Power adjustable front seats
Heated front and rear seats
Heated steering wheel
Premium audio – 13 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps and immersive sound
Premium Connectivity (30 days included)
LED fog lamps
Interior floor mats

Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
Power folding, heated side mirrors
Music and media over Bluetooth®
Custom driver profiles
Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and wireless charging for 2 smartphones
Rear Sway bar

Range:
Range: 358 miles
Dual Motor
AWD

Edit:
Charging speeds

ModelOnboard ChargerRecommended circuit breaker for Wall Connector installation
Model S
Model X
Model Y
Model 3 Performance
Model 3 Long Range
11.5 kW
(48 amp)
60 amp circuit breaker
Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive7.7 kW
(32 amp)
40 amp circuit breaker

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MtlMV
I initially ordered my m3+ on 8/15 and was told it would be ready in January. (I didn't yet know those dates don't really mean much.) I needed something to drive for the next 5 months so I purchased a VW ID.4 that same week. Well to my surprise my SA texted me that my car was ready in mid November. I was in no position to buy it as I still had my ID.4. They said that was no problem, they'd put it on hold till January. I thought that was great and agreed. I ended up selling my ID.4 in December and took the m3 off hold. Initially my EDD was January, then March, then June, then September, then July and finally it's now at Aug-Sep. I'm not really interested in an LR, so I just purchased an Ioniq 5 to drive while I wait. This time I'll sell it once I have the m3 in the driveway.

Pasadena, CA (Pick-up Burbank)
OD: 9/28/21
M3 RWD Deep Blue Metallic/Black | Sport Wheels | No FSD

EDD: March 2022 (as of 9/28/21 - 1/5/22)
EDD: June 2022 (as of 1/5/22 - 1/20/22)
EDD: March 7 - March 31 (as of 1/21/22 - 1/30/22)
EDD: April 21 - May 19 (as of 1/31/22 - 3/14/22)
EDD: March 18 - March 31 (as of 3/15/22 - 3/18/22)
EDD: April 28 - June 02 (as of 3/19/22 - 4/6/22)
EDD: April 28 - May 26 (as of 4/6/22 - 4/28/22)
EDD: June 30 - Aug 11 (as of 4/29/22 - 5/22/22)
EDD: July 11 - Aug 15 (as of 5/23/22)
EDD: May 24 - May 29 (as of 5/24/22)
VIN Received 5/24

Pasadena, CA (Pick-up Burbank)
OD: 9/28/21
M3 RWD Deep Blue Metallic/Black | Sport Wheels | No FSD

EDD: March 2022 (as of 9/28/21 - 1/5/22)
EDD: June 2022 (as of 1/5/22 - 1/20/22)
EDD: March 7 - March 31 (as of 1/21/22 - 1/30/22)
EDD: April 21 - May 19 (as of 1/31/22 - 3/14/22)
EDD: March 18 - March 31 (as of 3/15/22 - 3/18/22)
EDD: April 28 - June 02 (as of 3/19/22 - 4/6/22)
EDD: April 28 - May 26 (as of 4/6/22 - 4/28/22)
EDD: June 30 - Aug 11 (as of 4/29/22 - 5/22/22)
EDD: July 11 - Aug 15 (as of 5/23/22)
EDD: May 24 - May 29 (as of 5/24/22)
VIN Received 5/24
What is first 3 digits of VIN?

The one from July is not showing in the outstanding anymore. Of the early Jan/21, some have no VIN date but do show VIN# that leaves (1) in Feb. and (1) in Apr. that I suspect being forgotten updates. This is why I've started the outstanding graphs from August which seems to all be OK. However that time period seems to show forgotten updates for the LR and P version.

View attachment 808195
Hi, that 2/15/2021 is mine and still waiting everyday and sad! On 5/15, EDD changed to 7/28-9/8.

I initially ordered my m3+ on 8/15 and was told it would be ready in January. (I didn't yet know those dates don't really mean much.) I needed something to drive for the next 5 months so I purchased a VW ID.4 that same week. Well to my surprise my SA texted me that my car was ready in mid November. I was in no position to buy it as I still had my ID.4. They said that was no problem, they'd put it on hold till January. I thought that was great and agreed. I ended up selling my ID.4 in December and took the m3 off hold. Initially my EDD was January, then March, then June, then September, then July and finally it's now at Aug-Sep. I'm not really interested in an LR, so I just purchased an Ioniq 5 to drive while I wait. This time I'll sell it once I have the m3 in the driveway.

You win the prize for the oldest unfilled order!

Hi, that 2/15/2021 is mine and still waiting everyday and sad! On 5/15, EDD changed to 7/28-9/8.

Oh. Never mind.

Reactions: Johnsson90
Any idea what your difference will be in pricing per monthv? Are you leasing or financing? I’m considering the bump to LR subdue I could get it for the same price as you.
I'll be financing the vehicle. It's about $110 USD difference. My Model Y was the same price as the Model LR and that's the difference.

I could be incorrect, but every $1000 adds about $15 to your monthly payment if your financing for 72 months

The one from July is not showing in the outstanding anymore. Of the early Jan/21, some have no VIN date but do show VIN# that leaves (1) in Feb. and (1) in Apr. that I suspect being forgotten updates. This is why I've started the outstanding graphs from August which seems to all be OK. However that time period seems to show forgotten updates for the LR and P version.

View attachment 808195
According to my daily Reddit VIN poll (whatever it’s worth), 0 on 5.24, 1 on 5.23, 1 on 5.22, 2 on 5.21 (big day apparently), 1 on 5.20 and 1 on 5.17 (5-19 + 5-18 both were zero)

so, 6 in the past week…?