Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still waiting for price cut on AP/FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case, I think the $2000.00 will be less than the retail cost of the HW3 chip + installation in the future.
Probably so but doesn't do much good if you don't still own the car. Mine is a 2016. By 2020 or 2021 or whenever they start upgrading AP2 cars I might have moved on to newer Tesla or an alternative. Now if I could order now and pay when they install the HW I'd be all over it and take my chances on FSD features being available later. I don't think I'm willing to take a chance on getting nothing except thank you very much for my $2K

Reactions: ahkahn
Probably so but doesn't do much good if you don't still own the car. Mine is a 2016. By 2020 or 2021 or whenever they start upgrading AP2 cars I might have moved on to newer Tesla or an alternative. Now if I could order now and pay when they install the HW I'd be all over it and take my chances on FSD features being available later. I don't think I'm willing to take a chance on getting nothing except thank you very much for my $2K
That makes sense. Though as an investor, I would be happy to thank you for the $2k donation. :)

In our case, we didn't purchase EAP or FSD when we purchased our MS. The 5k for both, even with the current functionality, appears to be a decent deal.

That makes sense. Though as an investor, I would be happy to thank you for the $2k donation. :)

In our case, we didn't purchase EAP or FSD when we purchased our MS. The 5k for both, even with the current functionality, appears to be a decent deal.
5K for both is a deal hard to pass up. EAP alone was 5K if purchased with the car. If I didn't have EAP I'd buy the package since that's the only way to get the old EAP features. You get HW upgrade and feature FSD benifits if and when they come along as a bonus. Owners who made the 5K investment upfront are now being asked to spend an additional 2K and windup with the exact same functionality and HW you'll receive for your 5K investment.

Reactions: Duffer

You could just purchase AP now and buy FSD later. Assuming of course it stays discounted. Paying for future date functionality is a classic Tesla cash hoard lol
Ask any current FSD owner who paid double.

Reactions: Leeclanual
You could just purchase AP now and buy FSD later. Assuming of course it stays discounted. Paying for future date functionality is a classic Tesla cash hoard lol
Ask any current FSD owner who paid double.
Except that the current AP is TACC+Autosteer. The AP+FSD currently equals the old EAP functionality, which in hindsight, we should have added when we purchased our MS. Basically, we're paying $1000.00 more than the post purchase EAP price for the future functionality.

Except that the current AP is TACC+Autosteer. The AP+FSD currently equals the old EAP functionality, which in hindsight, we should have added when we purchased our MS. Basically, we're paying $1000.00 more than the post purchase EAP price for the future functionality.
There is ambiguity everywhere! (thanks for 'nuthin Tesla....). What I mean is: for those (like me) that bought EAP+FSD in 2016 for $5k+$3k) and prior to the most recent debacle were promised "FSD/AP3 HW upgrade will be free" -- does this imply that the recent discounted purchasers of $2k "FSD" also get the hardware upgrade? Or will anyone without necessary hardware have to then buy another upgrade?

What a cluster.....

There is ambiguity everywhere! (thanks for 'nuthin Tesla....). What I mean is: for those (like me) that bought EAP+FSD in 2016 for $5k+$3k) and prior to the most recent debacle were promised "FSD/AP3 HW upgrade will be free" -- does this imply that the recent discounted purchasers of $2k "FSD" also get the hardware upgrade? Or will anyone without necessary hardware have to then buy another upgrade?

What a cluster.....

Agree 100%. I keep tweeting and emailing and get nothing back. Here is my latest

TeslaS100Dfan on Twitter

5K for both is a deal hard to pass up. EAP alone was 5K if purchased with the car. If I didn't have EAP I'd buy the package since that's the only way to get the old EAP features. You get HW upgrade and feature FSD benifits if and when they come along as a bonus. Owners who made the 5K investment upfront are now being asked to spend an additional 2K and windup with the exact same functionality and HW you'll receive for your 5K investment.

And people who paid $8k up front get the same thing those who had EAP up front get for $7k(yes, yes, and an eventual invite to the *other* EAP)

Last edited:

What a cluster.....

They haven’t explicitly said, but I’m very confident they’ll get the hardware upgrade(to the point that I hadn’t considered the alternative until people here brought it up). If it doesn’t include that, Tesla is inviting a lawsuit(which they will certainly lose) the instant they demand money for the hardware from the people they sold FSD to.

FSD is showing $2000 for me...what is the benefit of getting it now?
To insure you won't have to pay more in the future when they really deliver HW3 and the functions they have defined as FSD. BUT maybe not. Let's say they deliver the functionality they have just defined as FSD with stop signs, red lights etc. What happens when they go beyond those? Do they define that as enhanced self driving or real self driving or whatever they decide to call it and then require another purchase?

Reactions: KArnold
FSD is showing $2000 for me...what is the benefit of getting it now?

You might hope that it means that you'd get any required hardware update for FSD when it's available. But at least on my account page, this is not stated. If I already had EAP, there's no way that I'd plunk down another $2k for non-existent features. Ask the people that already paid $3k or more for FSD how that went.